Betsy SasserHobbs

Hello,

My name is Betsy and I am currently living in Mobile, AL. My husband and I moved here from Raleigh, NC almost a year ago. We have found a great church, Mars Hill but are still struggling to “connect”. I was brought up having a head knowledge of who Jesus / God is but sometimes I feel a disconnect between head and heart. I ask God almost daily for a connection between the two.

I have listened to RZIM’s podcast and the topics discussed really fascinate me and engage my brain.

I would hope to become a more informed Christian so that ai will feel more comfortable sharing my faith with unbelievers. I promise to be considerate and respectful of everyones opinion. My hope is that someday soon, I will feel strong enough in my faith to be able to answer other people’s questions.

8 Likes

Hi @Betsy_Sasser-Hobbs! So glad you found your way here!

I have always found the best way to connect with people at church is to find a place to serve!

5 Likes

Hi, @Betsy_Sasser-Hobbs. It’s good to hear your thoughts. Are you saying you feel disconnected (emotionally?) in your relationship with God? Take heart if you are! When you draw near to God, He will draw near to you. :blue_heart:

Regarding connecting with the church body, that’s a fantastic suggestion by @Joshua_Hansen. Serving is an opportunity to fellowship and get things done for the kingdom at the same time. From my experiences volunteering, serving alongside others is an open door to sharing meaningful time with others, both the people I’m serving alongside and the people I’m serving. The opportunities for interaction may be different depending on your service role.

Serving is also a possible way to explore your gifts and interests. There’s special satisfaction that comes from knowing you’re doing something for God that He has designed and equipped you for. (Maybe it’s some of those good works He planned for us to do.) Having that fulfillment could positively impact your feelings of connectedness at church.

God knows what makes us feel fulfilled. He can get to the empty (or disconnected) places in us and engage us to bring us alive. He knows what inspires you, Betsy, and what will tie it all together for you.

Many blessing to you😊.

4 Likes

Hi Betsy, welcome to Connect!
I’m excited to hear more people wish to share their faith to others, I pray that God will lead your way to be His witness to everyone around you

Budi

3 Likes

Hi Betsy, welcome to Connect! I know you will get that connection from your head to your heart, because you are asking God for it! And I believe the more you seek to learn His truths the more you will feel drawn to Him. There are many ways to discover God’s truths and the RZIM ministry is a wonderful resource that can help. I hope you enjoy your time learning and sharing here on Connect! :blush:

3 Likes

@Betsy_Sasser-Hobbs Nice to meet you!

Hi Betsy.

It is so good to hear that a heart knowledge of God is something you are striving for. Many people are content with head knowledge, but having the emotional connection too is a whole extra layer of forming that relationship with God.

It’s such a great thing that you are daily praying for Him to work in your heart that way too. He says in His word that as we ask, seek and knock He will answer and provide.

Keep earnestly seeking and asking! And welcome to Connect.

3 Likes

Hello Betsy, I applaud your honest and genuine intro. Jesus always accepted people as they were. That connection you have been looking for has come to fruition here and will show up where you are. I was a bit tenuos in reaching out at the beginning of my new Church family. In time God brought real and genuine friends. Its wonderful to have you here.
Mike

3 Likes

Thanks Joshua…I have a plan to reach out to the local Pregnancy Resource center after the first of the year. My husband and I travel a lot so it has been difficult to connect with a church ministry because we don’t usually know our schedules. We are taking a theology class at Ecclassia Academy which is being held at our church, starting in January. I am really hoping to connect with a few women there.

Merry Christmas :christmas_tree:

2 Likes

I feel connected with God but sometimes the connection feels weaker than at other times and I know that the weaker moments are when I am not studying Gods word. I have been accepted into a college level theology class being taught at my church. The class begins in January.

I feel that God has equipped me to come along side single moms. I am ping to look into connecting with the local Pregnancy Resource center.

Thanks again for reaching out and welcoming me.

Merry Christmas :christmas_tree:

1 Like

Thanks, Carrie, your your encouragement. I just got accepted into a college level theology class being offered at my church this Spring. I am looking forward to diving deeper into God’s word in 2020!

Merry Christmas!

2 Likes

Glad to hear it! And Merry Christmas to you as well!

1 Like

Thanks Mike. It took 6 years to develop those kind of relationships in my Small Group in Raleigh and then we moved. Now we are starting over. I trust God has a plan with what He is doing in my life. After 32 years of searching for my biological family, I have located my entire family in Mobile. I even have two full biological brothers! The move was worth it. God paved a way for me to live closer to my biological family. I had a pretty difficult upbringing. God protected me through all of it so I have always felt His protection and presence. I look forward to growth in 2020.

Merry Christmas!

2 Likes

How exciting! I hope you enjoy the class and Merry Christmas to you too! :smile:

1 Like