Bible Authors Writings

(Rob) #1

Did any of the bible authors write any other lessons or teachings that did not make it into the bible and how does it compare to their writtings in scripture in style and topic?

(SeanO) #2

@Ilovejesus The short answers, to my knowledge, is no, there are no other writings by the Biblical authors.

There are Pseudepigrapha - “spurious or pseudonymous writings, especially Jewish writings ascribed to various biblical patriarchs and prophets but composed within approximately 200 years of the birth of Jesus Christ”. They are books that claim to be written by Biblical characters - like the ‘Gospel of Judas’ - but have never been accepted as Scripture and whose claims are spurious at best.

N. T. Wright has a good book critiquing one such book supposedly written by Judas.

CARM has quite a few articles on this topic as well:

https://carm.org/lost-books

(Anthony Costello ) #3

Rob,

It’s an interesting question. Like Sean, I think the short answer is “no.” There has been speculation that perhaps Paul wrote additional letters, but if he did, none have survived. Perhaps they were not divinely inspired. I think it is reasonable to assume that the Apostles and their companions may have written other things, but God only preserved those letters and Gospels that were indeed prophetic revelation.

There are, however, other early writings, even if they are not from the Apostles or companions. They are not canonical (and in that sense not as authoritative), but they can help us interpret the canonical Scriptures. Some of those early writings are 1 Clement, the Didache, and the Shepherd of Hemas. All date from around the first half of the second century AD.

Hope that helps,
Anthony

(Rob) #4

Thank you all for taking the time to respond. As I witness to friends, family and strangers I am looking for scripture based facts that I can use to gently correct non believers so their eyes can be opened and Gods truth can illuminate them. Im not sure what faith everyone in this forum is, so I’m hoping the comments are scripture based truth. God bless you all.

Rob