Bible Contradictions

(Kelly) #1

Someone posted this. I thought I’d watch and try to capture all the “discrepancies” they list. Anyone up for joining me in looking for answers to some of these “discrepancies”? I found a really good explanation for some of the gospel discrepancies in the following youtube by Michael Licona.

(Tim Ramey) #2

Kelly, I’ll join you. How do you want to do it? I love digging into Biblical issues. I’m just finishing Michael Licona’s huge volume on the Resurrection that Nabeel had suggested. He is thorough!

(Andrew Bulin) #3

Let’s do it!
@kelelek, try to nail down individual key topics, start a new topic in RZIM, and let’s have a dialogue around the arguments for, against, and practical application for the church.

(Kelly) #4

@Tim_Ramey and @andrew.bulin

I think what’s really on my mind is not so much responses to the questions in this video, as much as how do respond to a person posting such a video. My take on this is that it is a mockery; not someone seeking answers. I posted the following response: “So, our friends Craig and Ken here have thrown out a few challenging questions and observations! I’ve come to enjoy these challenges! :slight_smile: I would certainly encourage anyone to look for reasonable explanations if they are so inclined!! It’s an interesting journey. I’m no scholar so I’m not going to try and respond to everything in this clip (which is loaded!), but I will spend some time on doing my own research. I find that these are fair questions and deserve time and effort in looking for reasonable explanations (if there are any to be found). I did listen to an interesting video the other day that addresses the discrepancies in the gospels (how many women, day before, day after, etc): link”.

Suggestions for a better; more effective response?

(Tim Ramey) #5

@kelelek @andrew.bulin

I don’t have any particulars at this moment. I’m sorry that I will not be able to attend to this until the beginning of next week as we have a prayer conference followed by the missions conference at our lodge which will consume my weekend. I’m with you two but, as I said, won’t be too helpful until the weekend it out.

(Andrew Bulin) #6

@kelelek, sound like a great start. And if someone’s heart is really struggling with a particular detail or point, maybe that would be the most productive and impactful start that one could make. It would be dizzying to try to answer every imaginable question and I’d be curious as to which one really struck a chord with someone who brought it up.

(Timothy Loraditch) #7

@kelelek Responding to the mocker is somewhat problematic. Jesus rarely responded when He was mocked. Typically when Jesus did respond to individuals, He was filled with the Spirit and spoke what was at the heart of the person’s problem. Often it seemed to not have anything to do with the topic discussed.

I think it is good to have and understanding of discrepancies that other see, but I think it is better to do it for the purpose of getting closer to God. That being achieved we will be more in tune with the spirit who will give us the right words in the moment. Otherwise we might fill ourselves with head knowledge and not hear from the spirit the timely word spoken in season. Prov 25:11 Like apples of gold in settings of silver Is a word spoken in right circumstances.

(Jimmy Sellers) #8

Not sure this will answer any of the questions but it is an interesting read.

(Tim Ramey) #9

Kelly, are you still giving this subject a go? I’ve got to tell you that your Mike Licona talk was excellent. I was not aware of that way of writing that they did in antiquity.

It was interesting that, after that YouTube of Lincona, it went right to a Nabeel Qureshi talk with a Q&A. I can’t get enough of Nabeel (How I so miss him. Why didn’t you take me instead of him Lord?) but I had heard it and went back to the Q&A. He mentioned an interesting similarity when he said that the Quran was written as Mohammad went but to read John, you have to realize that he was taking you from the beginning and tying it to the end.More and more, I realize that we neglect important components when we read the Bible. Adding Nabeel’s information as well as Mike Lincona’s writers of antiquity styles is really important to consider.

I would recommend talks by J Warner Wallace who is a cold case detective - a detective having zero clues in crimes and seeking to uncover the case. He became a Christian by seeking to disprove the Bible. But he says that if those contradictions and different versions were not there, a detective would throw it out as the witnesses were collaborators.

I feel that you are asking pertinent questions that are derived from situations close to home.

Lincona was excellent. If you haven’t seen J Warner Wallace, check out one of his talks that are usually way over an hour but they are great. So again, he feels, as a detective, that the discrepancies are further prove for their reliability. Think of it - you and I could see the exact same occurrence but see it differently.