Bible Study Methods/Tools

Hello everyone!
I have a few questions related to Bible study. I have found that I retain and understand information in a deeper way when I have a general understanding of the “big picture.” Visualizing the greater picture somehow helps me to better understand the details and concepts that fit within the greater picture. Through the years since my conversion, I have spent considerable amounts of time studying the Bible. However, I tend to study by topic, or Book. I greatly enjoy this method. But sometimes I think that doing a study of the Bible from a broader or more general perspective would greatly benefit my knowledge and understanding of the Bible as a whole.
Does anyone have suggestions for Bible study methods/programs that may help me in this endeavor?
Reading through a chronological Bible?
Studying the history of the Bible?
Studying the timeline of the Bible?

Maybe this question doesn’t make sense to other people. :slight_smile: But if you understand what I’m asking, and you wish to offer advice, please feel free to do so.

Blessings,
Julia Whitt

3 Likes

Julia @juliawhitt87, great question. Yes, it totally make sense. For example the OT can be so dense for me and currently I am using the bible project youtube channel. They have a big overview of each book of the bible. It is really helpful. Check it out below.

I hope it helps.
God Bless You.
Happy Sunday.

5 Likes

It will be an adjustment but I highly recommend taking a historical/cultural approach to your study, not as a replacement for devotional or confessional reading but as a companion to your them. I like NT Wight’s work particularly as it relates to the New Testament church. He is big on the 2nd Temple period of history. This includes the Greek, Roman and Jewish intersection of life. This is the where Jesus, the apostilles and Paul lived side by side with Jewish and Gentile citizens of the Roman Empire.
If you like online courses here is a link to his website.
His most recent book, The new Testament in Its World would be a good place to dip your toe. There are many other good resources but this sounds like it might be a fit for. Happy and blessed studies. report back any new and useful things that you learn.

5 Likes

Hi Dan,
Ahh thank you so much! I’m glad you understand my question. :slight_smile: I will definitely check out this YouTube channel.

Blessings on your day,
Julia Whitt

2 Likes

Hi Jimmy,
Thank you so much for the information and advice. These definitely sound like some worthwhile resources to utilize and explore. Thanks again!

Blessings on your day,
Julia Whitt

2 Likes

@juliawhitt87 There are many tools to help you to get the big picture, as @Danageze and @Jimmy_Sellers have already shown. I personally have found that reading the Bible cover to cover has helped me to get the big picture more than anything else. I have done this several times and I have a better appreciation for and understanding of the grand, unified scope of the whole as a result. Through the Bible reading plans generally feel disjointed to me because they either combine Old Testament, New Testament, and Poetic readings in each sitting, or they break writers’ streams of thought by attempting to piece disparate parts together in chronological order. These may work for others; they do not work for me.

I highly recommend setting historico-cultural context aside and reading straight through in the largest possible chunks that your schedule permits, but not more than one book or letter in one sitting. Nobody has enough time to read through the entire Bible in one sitting; on the other hand, how much time do we spend on utter nonsense that we may use for this task? (If more Christians would keep Gospels of John or booklets of Proverbs in their bathrooms for the usual meditative moments then maybe the world would be a better place!)

I kept stalling in Leviticus the first few times that I attempted this task. I broke through on my next attempt by seeking answers to the question, “What is God telling me about himself?” as I read. This gave me a focal point and helped me to bypass details not relevant to the question and wade through “boring” parts that suddenly became much less boring! I asked myself other questions on subsequent readings.

I know that many people are not book-worms; but in America, with so many different editions so freely available, it is a shame that more people do not read the Scriptures with as much attentiveness as that with which they read newspapers, magazines, and internet sites and listen to talk radio, movies, and television programs.

3 Likes

@Jimmy_Sellers, thank you for your response and encouragement. I am guilty of allowing distractions to take away from my Bible reading time. Again, thank you for your tips and words of encouragement. Blessings to you.

Julia Whitt

2 Likes

This last year I listened to large chunks of the Bible thanks to the YouVersion app. I can listen while I am in the car or cleaning a room etc. so I was able to enjoy a broader reading experience. I really enjoyed that and it helped me with the themes Paul was trying to get across in his writings.

1 Like

@gchop, Thank you so much for the recommendation!

Blessings,
Julia Whitt

2 Likes