Bible verse for Encouragement

(Samuel Khaw) #1

I am am struggling at work, starting to feel that i am a failure in the making. Now i know that God loves us as who we are and he will not change his love for us. Any bible verse that anybody could recommend me on facing adversity, keeping your eyes on Jesus and God ?

And how do i have a mindset that my joy isn’t just circumstantial, that my joy and life purpose lies in something greater than myself ? Something that is greater than what is defined by societal norms, people’s judgements in life ?

And the Lord, he is always there right ? Watching over me ?

3 Likes
(SeanO) #2

@Samuel_95 Praying for you :slight_smile: We all have those times. For me, the best thing to do when I feel that way is to take a break from the busyness, get alone with Jesus and spend some time in worship to remember that He is God and that He is good and that nothing in this world - no success or victory - can give me meaning. Only Christ can satisfy. And Christ warned us the world would be hard, but that He has overcome the world! Expect the world to be difficult - expect there to be a battle - but also expect God to walk with you through the struggle.

John 16:33 - “I have told you these things, so that in me you may have peace. In this world you will have trouble. But take heart! I have overcome the world.”

• remember that the Gospel is all about grace - your identity is not achieved, it is received - your identity is not in your ability to succeed but in what Christ has done for you
  • set your expectations accurately - we should expect there to be a struggle, but remember that it is God who gives us the victory
  • be consistent and do what has to be done at work - we all have ups and downs in our careers and none of us our good at everything - pray for Jesus to guide you into a place at work where you can prosper and for now just do your best - people will see that you are trying

Here are some verses and a good sermon from Tim Keller on overcoming worry:

Philippians 4:6-8 - Do not be anxious about anything, but in every situation, by prayer and petition, with thanksgiving, present your requests to God. 7 And the peace of God, which transcends all understanding, will guard your hearts and your minds in Christ Jesus.

8 Finally, brothers and sisters, whatever is true, whatever is noble, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is admirable—if anything is excellent or praiseworthy—think about such things.

Matthew 6:28-34 - “And why do you worry about clothes? See how the flowers of the field grow. They do not labor or spin. 29 Yet I tell you that not even Solomon in all his splendor was dressed like one of these. 30 If that is how God clothes the grass of the field, which is here today and tomorrow is thrown into the fire, will he not much more clothe you—you of little faith? 31 So do not worry, saying, ‘What shall we eat?’ or ‘What shall we drink?’ or ‘What shall we wear?’ 32 For the pagans run after all these things, and your heavenly Father knows that you need them. 33 But seek first his kingdom and his righteousness, and all these things will be given to you as well. 34 Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.

Tim Keller - Overcoming Anxiety - Good stuff!

3 Likes
(Linda Nikitin) #3

Saturday, March 9, 2019
Hullo Samuel,
Thanks SO MUCH for sharing.
I want to invite you to join me and 48 other people in memorizing The Book of Colossians. You can find us in RZIM Connect under Christian Growth @Bible_Memorization_Group, there are now 49 of us from different states here in The USA, Canada and other countries. We are all memorizing The Book of Colossians at 2 verses each week, but everybody is going at their own pace too.
As you begin to memorize Colossians, you will be uplifted, strengthened, and encouraged by The Lord Jesus Himself. Christ in you, the hope of glory. Colossians 1:27.

Remember too 1 John 4:4, “… greater is he that is in you, than he that is in the world.”

I will be praying for you.

Blessings
Linnie

4 Likes
(Kelly) #4

@Samuel_95. Hey Samuel. Yes, as Linda mentioned, please join us at @Bible_Memorization_Group!! It’s amazing to see God’s word at work. We share insights and also prayer requests. For prayer requests, we ask that everyone begin their post with "Prayer: ". This life certainly has it’s highs and lows!! Prayers for you.

4 Likes
(Lakshmi Mehta) #5

@Samuel_95, Praying for you. Yes, memorization will be very helpful, especially verses that relate directly to what you are going through. Renewing our mind with the truth against all lies spoken against us, hoping in God and understanding that the grace of God extends beyond forgiveness of sins helps me overcome failure and rejection. We can give ourselves grace when we don’t measure up in the world’s eyes. God has already received us and that matters more than the world that is temporary and passing way. God promises to be with us in all our needs. He has experienced great rejection and lack and He understands us and wants us to cast our burdens on Him and leave it there, not taking them back. Joy of the Lord is our strength. Even when our feelings don’t change, we can affirm ourselves truth and act accordingly. Our neural pathways are shaped by old habits and take time to change and may not conform to truths right away. With time and perseverance though I think it will become easier to feel the joy. God bless you brother!

Colossians 2: 9 For in Him dwells all the fullness of the Godhead bodily; 10 and you are complete in Him, who is the head of all principality and power.

2 Cor 12:9-10 But he said to me, “My grace is sufficient for you, for my power is made perfect in weakness,” Therefore I will boast all the more gladly about my weaknesses, to that Christ’s power may rest on me. That is why, for Christ’s sake, I delight in weaknesses, in insults, in hardships, in persecutions, in difficulties. For when I am weak, then I am strong.”

5 Likes
(Tim Ramey) #6

Amen to what all have posted. Linnie, Kelly, Lakshmi and myself are all part of @Bible_Memorization_Group and would love to have you jump on board and being part of a group that more than memorizes together.

Samuel, I am so sorry to hear of your struggles. It is hard to feel so alone - but you aren’t. Here are some verses that came to mind. The first set are the ones that we happen to be memorizing this week and is our prayer together for you:

Col 1:9 And so, from the day we heard of it, we have not ceased to pray for you, asking that you may be filled with the knowledge of his will in all spiritual wisdom and understanding,
Col 1:10 to lead a life worthy of the Lord, fully pleasing to him, bearing fruit in every good work and increasing in the knowledge of God.

The second set is especially applicable to you:
Eph 6:10 Finally, be strong in the Lord and in the strength of his might.
Eph 6:11 Put on the whole armor of God, that you may be able to stand against the wiles of the devil.
Eph 6:12 For we are not contending against flesh and blood, but against the principalities, against the powers, against the world rulers of this present darkness, against the spiritual hosts of wickedness in the heavenly places.
Eph 6:13 Therefore take the whole armor of God, that you may be able to withstand in the evil day, and having done all, to stand.
Eph 6:14 Stand therefore, having girded your loins with truth, and having put on the breastplate of righteousness,
Eph 6:15 and having shod your feet with the equipment of the gospel of peace;
Eph 6:16 besides all these, taking the shield of faith, with which you can quench all the flaming darts of the evil one.
Eph 6:17 And take the helmet of salvation, and the sword of the Spirit, which is the word of God.
Eph 6:18 Pray at all times in the Spirit, with all prayer and supplication. To that end keep alert with all perseverance, making supplication for all the saints,

Remember Samuel, you have to be doing something right or the enemy would just let you be. But because you love Jesus, you are being pounced on.

1 Like
(Samuel Khaw) #7

@SeanO. Thanks for the bible verses and prayer. I am greatly encouraged and the Word is a living one.

2 Likes
(Samuel Khaw) #8

@Linnie @kelelek @Lakshmismehta @Tim_Ramey

Thank you all for your encouragement, and the bible verses that you all have shared with me. It’s been…quite a time of rest as i just read and meditate on this verses. Thank you so much.

About that christian group that was recommended, do i just click join and explore from there ? I will be definitely checking out the group.

3 Likes
(C Rhodes) #9

@Samuel_95. Jeremiah 29:11 is one of my favorite verses. “For I know the thoughts that I think toward you, saith the LORD, thoughts of peace, and not of evil, to give you an expected end.”

1 Like
(Linda Nikitin) #10

Sunday, March 10, 2019
Hullo Samuel,
Thank You for your kind reply to my message. To answer your question about our Colossians Group, I think if you click on the words @Bible_Memorization_Group in the message I sent you, or in this message, it will take you right to our group. I am thinking it should ask you if you want to join. Please let me know if you have trouble joining the group. We will help you. I noticed that there are now 51 people in our Colossians Group. WHAT JOY!!

Blessings In Jesus,
Linnie

1 Like
(Donna Perry) #11

Thank you Linnie for posting these Bible verses that are for all of us. A mighty blessing. May these verses cover us and work in and through us in our daily lives as God’s holy people. And thank you for mentioning Janet Pope’s book, His Word In My Heart. I bought that book a few years ago along with ‘Prayer Warrior’ by Stormie Omartian. Excellent books. Pages 34,35 & 36 offer excellent guidance from Janet Pope on prayer and praying within God’s will.
God’s blessings
Donna

(Donna Perry) #12

And just a quick note to Samuel. I’ve heard it said while walking along our path of life if we don’t encounter Satan head on, check our path, we may be walking in the same pathway he is on.