Biblical corruption

(O'Neill Marais) #1

Hello RZIM Community, I am continuing in my conversation with my Muslim friend. We are discussing the validity of the bible and biblical corruption.

He quoted numerous “contradictions” in the old testament, especially in the story of the creation. I am going to quote his comments below;

" Verses 3-5:** How could there be light when Sun hasn’t been created yet? And how could there be day and night? FIRST DAY
Verses 11-13:** How could there be vegetation if the sun hasn’t been created yet? THIRD DAY
Verse 14-19: The sun and the moon were created on the FOURTH DAY [Please don’t say that it’s not talking about the sun and the moon. And Assuming it’s not talking about the Sun and the Moon please let me know what it is talking about. You’d be the first person ill be hearing it from]"

The verses he is referring to are from Genesis 1 of course.

Please help me to answer these questions for him. I would also like to communicate to him the nature of the biblical narrative, that it is not a scientific document but a historical narrative. But I do not quite know how to phrase it.

Thank you.

O’Neill Marais

(SeanO) #2

@oneillmarais Super encouraging to here that you are faithfully engaging int his dialogue with your friend - may Christ bless your efforts and open his eyes to Jesus’ love and grace. The answer actually depends upon the view of Genesis 1 that you hold. Concordist views hold that the creation actually occurs in the same order listed in Genesis 1. Non-concordist views do not require that the actual creation of the world occurred in the same order.

For the concordist, one view is that the word for ‘light’ used initially refers to light itself while the word for light used later in Genesis for the stars means ‘light-giver’. In other words, God first somehow produced light, though the text does not tell us how. Then, later, God created ‘light-givers’ - stars and sun. In other words, there was light before the stars and sun but we are uncertain of its source.

For the non-concordist, there is no problem because they do not think that the order is the main point.

Here is a thread where I discuss the different views in more detail and provide some links. Probably best to digest the information and decide upon your own view - then share that with your friend while acknowledging there are different views.

Nabeel and David Answering Islam on Bible Corruption Allegations

(O'Neill Marais) #3

Hello @SeanO, thank you for your reply. I really appreciate your insights. I will definitely read through the resources that you provided.

Regards

O’Neill

(Carson Weitnauer) #4

Hi @oneillmarais, this is a great conversation starter! I appreciate your heart to serve your Muslim friend and your desire to carefully research the Scriptures. I wanted to briefly invite @Interested_in_Bible and @Interested_in_Islam groups to join in the conversation, as they may have something to add to your question!

(SeanO) #5

@oneillmarais Great - let us know if there is anything particularly helpful for you in there or anything that does not make sense and how the discussion with your friend goes.

(Jeremy Finison) #6

I’d like to add something often overlooked during the creation and further evidence for the future of the coming new heaven. The universe began with no sun, moon or stars and will return to this state.

God is light. He is the first light mentioned in Gen 1 before the sun was created to give light and his light will be the only source of light for the new heaven to come. Light has many meanings so need to separate them in their respective contexts as well. In these cases light is goodness or holiness where no darkness or evil is in him but also see the clear distinction of him being a light source.

“This then is the message which we have heard of him, and declare unto you, that God is light, and in him is no darkness at all.”
‭‭1 John‬ ‭1:5‬ ‭KJV‬‬

“And the city had no need of the sun, neither of the moon, to shine in it: for the glory of God did lighten it, and the Lamb is the light thereof.”
‭‭Revelation‬ ‭21:23‬ ‭KJV‬‬

(Isaac Suleh Kindikah) #7

this is really good.

(Matt Western) #8

In relation to vegetation created on the Third day, perhaps this is why the Sun was created on the fourth day. Plants are not going to die overnight, and would survive until the next day when the Sun was created?

Obviously this assumes a young earth viewpoint, not a day-age viewpoint. I have read John Lennox’s 7 days that divide the world book enough to understand the basics. I certainly don’t want to start a non-helpful argument here which would get us off topic of evangelism of the unsaved. :slight_smile: