Biblical Prophecies

Hi, all! Back again! :smile:

My husband and I were discussing about the revelation and prophecies. My (skeptic) husband mentioned that he believes the already fulfilled prophecies leading up to the second coming of Christ are “vague.” When I asked him what lead him to believe that, he mentioned natural disasters because there has always been the occurrence of natural disasters.

Could anyone enlighten me on prophecies, other than natural disasters, that have been fulfilled that could possibly spark his attention? Possibly a good link or a book? This would also help me as well! :blush:

5 Likes

@OJMCKEE I think the three most verifiable prophecies in Scripture are Jesus’ prediction of the destruction of the temple, the prophecies of Daniel, and the Messianic prophecies about Jesus’ life, death, and resurrection. I can’t think of a good book to cover all of them off of the top of my head, but I’ve included some resources to get you started.

• Jesus’ prediction of the destruction of the temple - the Gospels predate the destruction of Jerusalem, so this is one of the most provable prophecies
  • Book of Daniel - prophesied rise and fall of 4 world empires and the coming of Jesus Christ - however, secular scholars will claim Daniel was written later in history, so you have to have a solid understanding of the dating of the book itself
  • Messianic prophecies
3 Likes

@SeanO, what about the Jewish people being back in the land before the Lord’s second coming? I know bible scholars spoke about that way before 1948. I’ve also been wondering these days about the image of the beast (Phillips translation says statue) in Revelation 13:15, and how likely is it, in your opinion, that it could be a highly sophisticated AI? The technology is available, and the political climate is getting ripe for a one world government.

2 Likes

Oh prophesies… they are so interesting and fun to learn about! I am glad your asked your question and will enjoy these resources posted by @SeanO. There is so much to speculate about but unfortunately not a whole lot we can really be sure of. I suppose that is why they are always being discussed. :blush:

2 Likes

@ALandis Great question :slight_smile: Honestly, how you understand the events of 1948 in relation to prophecy depends a lot on two things. First, what you believe about the relationship between Israel and the Church. Second, how you interpret the prophecies of Daniel and Revelation.

I will offer my opinion, but I advise you do some reading before making up your mind. I’ve included some good books below to get started. Personally, I believe that the New Testament very clearly teaches that the Church is the chosen people of God and that God’s covenant with the nation of Israel ended. Jesus brought the New Covenant in His blood and put an end to the Old Covenant. Reading Hebrews and Peter really helps clarify this fact for me.

I also tend to take a partial-preterist view of Revelation. I think most of Revelation is discussing events that have already happened long ago in the 1st century—specifically the destruction of Jerusalem in 70 AD. However, my view is certainly not the only view. Very intelligent folks hold a wide spectrum of views.

It can seem overwhelming at first and it is a large topic, but I really recommend just starting one book at a time and don’t be quick to decide where you land on these issues. They are quite complex. I still have an open hand on these and new arguments / evidence could change my perspective.

To answer your question, in my view the recreation of the physical nation of Israel in 1948, while certainly part of God’s plan in history, is not a direct fulfillment of prophecy or a sign of the end times.

1 - Futurist - the idea that most of Revelation will occur at the end of history right before the return of Christ
2 - Partial Preterist - most of Revelation was fulfillment by the events surrounding the destruction of Jerusalem in 70 AD and now we only await the return of Christ and new heavens / new earth
3 - Idealist - Revelation has no historical fulfillment - it is instead a depiction of the great struggle that is ongoing in every generation between God’s Kingdom and evil world empires
4 - Historicist - each section of Revelation represents a different portion of history - so we could break history into chunks of a few hundred years and correlate them to Revelation (Roman Empire, Muslim invasions, Papacy) - this view is not common anymore

1 Like

Thank you @SeanO. I am not too familiar with the lingo. My understanding has always been rapture, then seven year tribulation, then the thousand year reign. My dad used to point to Revelation 4:1 as a picture of God taking out his people prior to the tribulation as depicted in John who said, “and the voice I had first heard speaking like a trumpet said, ‘come up here’ …” and he would connect that to I Thessalonians 4:16 and also John 21:22-23. I haven’t looked fully at the prophetic scriptures in quite a long time. God’s word is so deep and full, and there is so much to learn. Thanks for the research and resources. By the way, where can I find all the overview videos of the books of the Bible that you’ve shared? They’re really good.

@OJMCKEE, I’m so glad your husband is discussing these things with you even if he is skeptical. It’s a great start, and the Lord is at work even when we can’t see it. Forgive me if I may have unintentionally hijacked your discussion here. God bless!

2 Likes

@ALandis It is deep indeed! They are all from The Bible Project -

2 Likes

@ALandis No apologies needed! I thoroughly enjoy learning about the revelation, so I’m glad you shared your questions. This is a topic I feel is great to hear different perspectives of. I’m always interested!

1 Like

@OJMCKEE here is one prophecy in the bible that blows my mind, in its fulfillment.

Isaiah prophecies in Chapter 45 Verse 13, “I will stir up Cyrus and help him win his battles. I will make all his roads straight. He will rebuild Jerusalem. My people have been taken away from their country. But he will set them free.” The Book of Isaiah was written between 740-686 B.C.

Then, Cyrus is born around 601 B.C., about 100 years later and what does he do? We learn in the Book of Ezra, “In the first year of Cyrus king of Persia, in order to fulfill the word of the Lord spoken by Jeremiah, the Lord moved the heart of Cyrus king of Persia to make a proclamation throughout his realm and also to put it in writing” that he writes a decree sending the Jews to rebuild Jerusalem, he sends them home, “he will set them free”.

This is one of my favorite prophecies that have been fulfilled to the letter in the Bible.

2 Likes