Billy Graham-By Grace

grace

(Joshua Elder) #1

Billy Graham, one of the greatest evangelists to ever live has now passed into the presence of God. One of the great things about Billy Graham was his honesty about his own struggles. In his 80’s, It was discovered that Dr. Graham had hydrocephalus which was a buildup of fluid in the brain. The doctors had to put a permanent tube into his brain to allow the fluid to drain. Dr. Graham had to have multiple surgeries and his life was at great risk. He said about that time:

“For several days I felt as though my life hung in the balance. One night a feeling of dread came over me, and I sensed that I was hovering between life and death. Was I ready for that final journey? It was almost as if Satan were attacking me (and he may have been), condemning me for my sins, and telling me I was not worthy of a place in Heaven. I asked the Lord to help me, and it seemed to me that there was a big screen, and on it appeared a list of all my sins going back to childhood. Then all of a sudden, under them appeared a verse of Scripture: “The blood of Jesus Christ his Son cleanseth us from all sin” (1 John 1: 7, KJV) and I had a great peace that has not left me to this day. Since then I have met everything that might have become a crisis with peace, certain that God is in control. Slowly but surely the feelings of condemnation left me, and I knew beyond a shadow of a doubt that if I were to die that night, I would go immediately into the presence of God forever—not because of what I had done for Christ, but because of what He had done for me on the cross. I will never forget that experience.”

As we remember the life of a godly man, may we never forget what this experience taught him. It is because of what Jesus has done on the cross, and not because of what we have done, that we are saved and find peace. If a man like Billy Graham in the later years of his life could still see his great need for grace, may it be so with us all, knowing it is only by the grace of God that you or I can be saved.

Do you have that assurance that if you were to die tonight you would be in the presence of God because of grace and not because of your works?

Josh