Blood type of original parents

I have been donating blood whenever there is an opportunity, and I have been asking this question to “blood letting personnel” but have not gotten any response yet:

1. What blood type has Noah and his wife, and their sons and in-laws got to have to produce all the blood types we currently have today?
  2. Could Noah and his wife possibly have the same blood type as Adam and Eve had?
  3. Does the “after its kind” principle of reproduction go against the restrictions of blood transfusion from one specific type to another?
  4. If we are all “made of one blood” (Acts 17:26, KJV), how come that there are restrictions in blood transfusion?

Just curious :thinking::thought_balloon:

I don’t think your offspring’s blood type is as much a function of the parents’ bloodtype as it is of their DNA.

Consider this in light of other characteristics - a man with dark hair and a woman with brown hair can produce a child with blonde hair. Blue eyes and brown eyes can produce little green eyes. A short woman and a medium height man can produce a tall boy (“Just like his grandpa!”).

I think your DNA can reproduce multiple different bloodtypes in your chidren, although you and your spouse will only have two at most yourselves.

I hope this makes sense to you.

3 Likes

Thank you for helping others with regular blood donation.
Words cannot be interpreted in the literal sense all the time. “The Lord is my shepherd” doesn’t mean I am an animal, a sheep, and God is an actual shepherd. Blood types are the findings of moden medical science. The Bible doesn’t have any reference to such blood classification. If I speak of my bloodline, I am referring to my race or ancestors. When we say we are flesh and blood, it means we are mere mortals. Acts 17:26 is not speaking of blood groups but the sovereignty of God over all mankind who descended from Adam.
I am more amazed that God created each one of us as unique individuals. There is no other person in the world with the same DNA profile as me. There is no other person with exactly the same fingerprints and retina patterns in the entire world as me.

3 Likes

Thanks for responding, @SelieVisa :slight_smile:

I understand that there could be figure of speech in the Bible. I’m just wondering why blood transfusion has restrictions when we all have the same human blood. I’m not sure about this, but I even heard that parent-to-child blood transfusion may not always be compatible.

I see. The question is then more of a scientific nature than religion. People have different skin colors. Some races have curly hair while some have straight hair. Coming back to the question of why people don’t have the same blood group which would have made blood transfusion easier, researches are being done. We still don’t have specific answers. One theory is that blood groups and diseases are related. Hence, depending on our environment blood groups are developed to improve our immune system. India is a place prone to malaria. Therefore India is likely to have more people with blood group O than other countries where malaria is less. We just have to wait for science to advance and hopefully give us some answers. Personally, I think there is a positive side too. If all people have the same blood and tissue type, the noble act of blood donation can be misused. The poor will be exploited the most. They will sell their blood or organs to make money and survive. Maybe we can get synthetic blood in the near future to overcome blood shortage in our hospitals.

2 Likes

Hi @DCGotiza,

We all have different blood groups. This is broadly classified as A,B,O and AB. Each of these can be subdivided into either positive or negative (Eg. A positive, A negative etc.). I will give you a few brief statements and comments before answering your specific questions. There are some links at the end if you wish to dig deeper.

Why are there different groups?
It was discovered during blood transfusions that certain people died following this. While investigating this, it was found that blood contains certain molecules called antigens and antibodies that react with one another resulting in what is called a haemolytic reaction (blood cells burst and die) resulting in death of the person if blood group types were mixed. In 1900 a person named Landsteiner discovered the different ‘blood groups’ and found out that certain groups could be given to certain groups safely, without this reaction, and so the ABO system of grouping was formed. Later the Rh system which subdivides them into positive and negative groups were discovered.

This is just a simple division into groups. There are many more subgroups within each of these groups (A1, A2 etc.) which were discovered over the last 100 years. This has helped in ensuring safe transfusions from one person to another.

How does a person get a particular blood group?
The blood group each of us has is inherited and is genetically determined depending on the blood groups of our parents.

I am not sure what you meant by this, but as far as blood transfusions are considered, only humans can transfuse to humans safely. Some animal to human transfusions have been tried in emergency situations in the past but these are very dangerous. So yes, blood transfusion is a ‘kind to kind’ thing broadly. I don’t think the ‘after its kind’ principle is violated in any way due to blood transfusion or its restrictions. It is a medical safety issue.

The word blood in the Bible does not have the same connotation as blood in medical science. The word ‘blood’ in the Bible and in common literature indicates what we would today call genetic lineage, which is more related to DNA, at least to our knowledge. Blood cells also contain this DNA, so yes, blood, like any other tissue or organ in our body carries the genetic make up of each person. The restrictions in blood usage are related to medical safety and does not violate the ‘of one blood’ concept.

We can only presume and guess this. I don’t think anyone could give a definitive answer to this. Genetic variations do occur with each generation and this could perhaps explain how we today have different blood groups.

Yes, sometimes, a child may have a blood group that is not compatible with that of his/her parent and vice versa; which is why the blood is tested and matched before the decision is made to transfuse. Blood compatibility for transfusion is quite complex and there are various factors that determine if one person can give to another. There is a whole specialty in medicine called ‘Transfusion medicine’ that is devoted to just this aspect.

Having said this, there are certain groups of people like the Jehovah’s Witnesses who are opposed to blood transfusions of any kind quoting the Bible. Their reasons are different and not really justifiable. It is commendable that you are donating blood - please continue to do so. It may save someone’s life, at least on this earth.

Here are some links in increasing order of complexity and depth.

2 Likes

Thank you, @tonyabthomas :slight_smile:

That’s the best answer I’ve received so far. Thanks for satisfying my curiosity :+1::+1:

I actually wondered why all of us 5 in the family came out to have one blood type, including my wife and I. And it surprised me further to know/hear that I’m not the best possible donor for my child when she needed it. Hence my curiosity :thinking:
Thanks for all your responses☺️

I thought about this a bit but from the stand point of our DNA and mutations. If one extrapolates back then we as well as Noah and his family all came from Adam who in theory would’ve had only one blood type and one DNA make up (as we see each person having today). Mutations over time have their limitations but I can easily see how we could have several blood types pop up over the last few thousand years. Keep in mind that all generations up to a certain point in history had only one choice of procreation and that was incest. Now that we have so much more genetic variation incest today causes physical abnormalities.

There’s no way to prove this (I don’t think) but in the end I feel strongly that our DNA was altered at the Tower of Babel when God confused the languages/separated the nations. From this point, incest would’ve yielded the physical issues we see today, the various blood types, and most of the genetic variances we see could be explained.

2 Likes