Blurry Visions of God

(Jill LaCross) #1

CS Lewis said : “when you come to knowing God, the initiative lies on His side. If He does not show Himself, nothing you can do will enable you to find Him. He shows much more of Himself to some people than to others - not because He has favorites, but because it is impossible for Him to show Himself to a man whose whole mind and character are in the wrong condition. Just as sunlight, though it has no favorites cannot be reflected in a dusty mirror as cleanly as in a clean one. “ end quote. So, is he right? And if so, what about the invitation to sinners to come to Him just as you are without cleaning up? I respect Lewis but I’m a bit confused about what he means.
Jill

2 Likes
(SeanO) #2

@jlacross I think if we read Scripture we see a tight connection between obedience and heart knowledge / understanding of God. What I think Lewis is saying is that as we grow up from baby Christians to mature Christians, we understand God in new ways. But each step of knowing God more requires us to grow more. If we stop growing, we cannot increase in understanding. Just like a little child understands the world in new ways as they grow older, so a Christian understands God in deeper ways as they grow in their walk with Him.

Do you think that is a helpful line of thought?

2 Peter 1:5-9 - For this very reason, make every effort to add to your faith goodness; and to goodness, knowledge; 6 and to knowledge, self-control; and to self-control, perseverance; and to perseverance, godliness; 7 and to godliness, mutual affection; and to mutual affection, love. 8 For if you possess these qualities in increasing measure, they will keep you from being ineffective and unproductive in your knowledge of our Lord Jesus Christ. 9 But whoever does not have them is nearsighted and blind, forgetting that they have been cleansed from their past sins.

“I do not seek to understand in order that I may believe, but rather, I believe in order that I may understand” - Anselm of Canterbury

“Obedience is the great opener of eyes.” George MacDonald

1 Like