Boldness or arrogance?

13Christ purchased our freedom and redeemed us from the curse of the Law and its condemnation by becoming a curse for us—for it is written, “Cursed is everyone who hangs [crucified] on a tree (cross)”

I hopped onto a revival preacher’s live service today. He was preaching on this verse. He was saying that we do not need to accept defeat. Christ has already won. Or something to that effect. I found my heart very much tracking with his word, but, at the same time, very offended that I would find myself attracted to a “Faith Preacher”. I am convinced what he was sharing was true, but he was also one of those mega church preachers who I am very wary of. False teachers may have right doctrine, but if they don’t know Jesus, they are not Right. But who am I to say that they don’t?

2 Likes

Hi Dean, thank you for voicing your frustration out. I really understand where you are coming from with the whole confusion on the Faith/mega church Preacher and the accuracy of what they are preaching.

I think firstly, we have to understand that none of us truly know the heart of men. Whether they know or don’t know Jesus for themselves, only God does, truthfully even if a preacher wishes to teach perfectly according to the doctrine, they are bound to make mistakes and perhaps deviate from it and say the wrong things from time to time. We are human and that’s nornal. Thus, no matter the preacher or church, one would need to know the bible for themselves and pray for wisdom to decipher through the holyspirit between what is right while taking what comes from the mouth of men, with a pinch of salt.

Secondly, I think we should approach this subject with humility. I believe that God is able to use anyone to speak to you, it’s evident in the bible that Jesus chose people who seemed rather unqualified and crude to be his disciples despite what we’d normally push away. Thus, I think we should be slower to judge and come to a conclusion on who we can/can’t listen to and who God can/can’t use in our lives. There’s no reason to be offended because what he said resonated with you despite him being a so called ‘faith’ preacher. I’d suggest praying and thinking over what was taught for yourself and asking God what he could possibly be saying to you.

Just because he is classified as a false preacher does not rule God out of using him to spread his word. A way of knowing whether one is doing God’s work is by the fruit they bear. If by what they are teaching, you are brought closer to Christ over anything else in humility and love, it’s bearing fruit in one way or another.

In my personal experience, someone who would be classified as a false teacher (steven furtick) to many actually preached many sermons that helped me out of a very dark place through his teachings and reminded me of the hope I had in Christ. His appearences and style of preaching, combined with the fact that his Church is a Mega Church caused a lot of stir and controversy.

While I am wary sometimes and take his teachings with a pinch of salt (while also disagreeing with some of his teachings) I cannot deny that he has helped me further my walk in Christ. He was out of anything, showing Christ’s love and genuinity in whatever he did. It was then I realised that I have to let go of my understanding of who God would use in our lives.

I’m not in any way advocating in blindly believing false teachers and prosperity gospels. All I’m saying is that when it comes to things like this one should be slower to judge and react but rather seek wisdom from the direct source, God our creator himself while showing love and humility to whoever involved . :slight_smile:

Hope this helps!

3 Likes

I guess that makes sense. In the end, it only matters that God is speaking, not that He is using a vessel I don’t care for. Alll i know is that I am through with the “normal” and am ready for what God can do.

1 Like

That’s amazing! I’m actually struggling with the same problem as you, there seems to be a conflict inside me. But I guess in the end the only thing that matters is really just Jesus.

Hello, Dean @manbooks. I guess I need to ask you how you interpret this passage that resonated with what this particular preacher was saying? Do you agree that Christ has won victory over our sin and death? The Apostle Paul tells us in Romans 8:31-39 that we are more than conquerors because of the work of Christ on the cross. If this is what the preacher was claiming, then we can be confident in agreeing with him.
Unless you know that this preacher teaches a false doctrine, I wouldn’t be quick to judge him based on the size of his congregation. When I visit Atlanta, I attend a mega church with my brother who lives there. The pastor is an incredible man of God and his church has been blessed in so many aspects, including the size of the congregation.
My favorite media Bible teacher is a pastor of a mega church in CA. His ministry spans the globe. Recently, during Covid, his ministry logged 48,000 global viewers to the Sunday broadcast, and 2000 have come to Christ as a result of his televised sermons during this crisis!!!
So, I hope you won’t equate the size of a congregation with the quality and validity of the pastor. As Kiko @Kiko pointed out, we can determine the quality of a man’s faith by the fruit they produce. (Matt. 7:16-20). 1 Cor.12: 3-4 states that no one speaking by the Spirit can say Jesus is accursed, and no one can claim Jesus is Lord except by the Holy Spirit. Paul continues on to say that there are various kinds of gifts and services, but the same Lord who gives them.
Unless you know for certain and from a trusted authority that this preacher is a false teacher, be careful in how you judge him.
When Paul was in prison, there were those who tried to take his place and preach the Gospel on his behalf, of whom he was very grateful. But then, Paul, states that there were those who were “preaching the Gospel” as a means of causing more trouble for Paul. Of them, Paul states in Philippians 1:18:

“But what does it matter? The important thing is that in every way, whether from false motives or true, Christ is preached. And because of this I rejoice.”

I hope you will give this preacher the benefit of the doubt and let God judge, ultimately. 1Cor. 3:13

I see you have responded to Kiko about being through with the “normal” and want to move on. What do you mean, exactly by that, I’m wondering? That’s an interesting comment I’d like to explore further.

Seems that most believers routinely get beat up on the path of life. Well, we say, that’s to be expected. Jesus told us we would be opposed. So we accept defeat, understanding that going through trials builds character. And it can (James 1). But my heart longs for more. According to David, God wants to bless us RIGHT UNDER OUR ENEMYS NOSE (Psalm 23). He prepares a table of blessing for us just as a witness to them. This is what I meant. I am through with the ordinary defeated life. By the power of the HS I am asking for victory. Not for myself. My home is in Heaven. But rather as a witness to my spiritual enemies.

1 Like

Hey @manbooks, I see your point and how it can come across. Accepting defeat can be looked at different angles. God is in control at the end, we may get down and be beat by life and people can cause us harm, but God will eventually turn everything to good for those that are called to his purpose. We are to focus on his will and purpose for our lives. That “defeat” may mean that it is not God’s will or the enemy’s attack, so we just have to learn to listen to God. So in a sense, if we truly give our hearts to God, he is in control and we know He will be glorious no matter what, even if we dont get what we want. So in a way, yes we are not accepting defeat but we are learning to change our heart for the Lord. But some preacher can spin that to say purse your own dreams “without God’s direction.” Aka God is our magician who does things for us, instead of us being changed to his will. Just my 2 cents. We are never defeated, but our “defeats” are actually wins if they are what God meant it to be, while we still have freewill (tongue twist).

God Bless.

2 Likes

Well said, Dan. I suppose that’s what it comes down to: Am I seeking my own glory, or His? The Cross, of course, appeared to be the ultimate defeat of God.
But then, as Paul Harvey used to say, comes the rest of the story . . .

1 Like

@manbooks I can understand your being tired of defeat. Yet, the Apostle Paul said in 2Cor. 4:7-12:

“But we have this treasure in jars of clay to show that this all-surpassing power is from God and not from us. 8 We are hard pressed on every side, but not crushed; perplexed, but not in despair; 9 persecuted, but not abandoned; struck down, but not destroyed. 10 We always carry around in our body the death of Jesus, so that the life of Jesus may also be revealed in our body. 11 For we who are alive are always being given over to death for Jesus’ sake, so that his life may also be revealed in our mortal body. 12 So then, death is at work in us, but life is at work in you.”

He also said in 2 Cor.12:10:
“That is why, for Christ’s sake, I delight in weaknesses, in insults, in hardships, in persecutions, in difficulties. For when I am weak, then I am strong.”

We all long for the days when defeat is over. But think of the testimony to our enemies that when we are at our most vulnerable and weakest, we are the strongest. While we don’t gloat in our difficulties, it is a feast for our enemies to see how Christ is glorified…even if they hate us because of it.
The Christian walk is not a popular walk. When we are in the midst of difficulty, it can be very hard. So many want to accuse Christianity as being just a crutch. If that is the case, I am thankful for that “Crutch”, for it is He who makes life worthwhile and gives us hope for an eternity with Him.
So, don’t be disheartened by defeats. Instead, glory that you know Christ.

1 Like

Certainly, if anyone knew the way of suffering, it was our brother Paul. He only wanted to “know Him, and the power of His resurrection, being like Him in death, that he might be raised”. Ph 3. And he certainly did suffer, as God told Ananias he would. Yet there were also good times. He spent over a year in Corinth, and three years in Ephesus. He was a vessel of the HS to do miracles. He formed close relationships, especially in Ephesus. He made tents. Etc. So not all his life was suffering. He wrote that he knew what it was to be abased, but also to be in abundance. In all things, his identity was in Christ So my prayer is to reman in Him, down whatever road He leads me. I have been all too familiar with rejection and misunderstanding. I am looking for something else.

1 Like

I understand. Been there, too. Christ gives us abundant life, whether we are living in abundance or abased. Paul also said that he learned to be content in whatever state he found himself. So, I pray you will find that abundant life that leads to godly contentment. That 's the key.