Book Of Job

(Sofia Bustos-Cevallos) #1

How can we explain the introductory part of the Book of Job?

(Jimmy Sellers) #2

Could you be more specific?

(SeanO) #3

@Sophel Are you referencing the discussion between God and the ‘satan’? You may find the Bible Project’s video helpful. Also, we’ve had a few discussions here on Connect previously on Job you might find helpful.

(Sofia Bustos-Cevallos) #4

Thank you @SeanO once again you have shared an excellent resource of explanation. It has been always very hard for me to understand (or accept) God’s plans in many different parts of the Bible, especially when explanation comes to mind. But this Bible Project vídeo made it very clear… attaching the three wisdom books to understand the whole point…
No I get it… it was always about to see God’s wisdom, but it’s hard. Here, in Latinamerica, we have always deal with a punishing God, due to this catholic point of view… so it hard to separate punishment from the ways of God…

(SeanO) #5

@Sophel I’m so glad you found the video helpful! I always really enjoy their resources.

I do not have a lot of experience with Catholicism in Latin America. Is there a strong emphasis on God punishing you for your sins and needing to go to confession? In what ways has the grace of Jesus helped you to grow in your understanding of God’s character coming from that background?

I think it’s so amazing that Jesus understands our weaknesses and that because of Him we can find mercy / grace in God - we can approach God with boldness!

Hebrews 4:15-16 - For we do not have a high priest who is unable to empathize with our weaknesses, but we have one who has been tempted in every way, just as we are—yet he did not sin. 16 Let us then approach God’s throne of grace with confidence, so that we may receive mercy and find grace to help us in our time of need.