Book of John Bible Study Book 1 Week 1

Pages: Introduction thru page 19 in the download
John 1:1-18 in the Bible
Download Book 1 here
For this week, January 12- January 18, 2020
Information on this study is here

Glad you’re here!
Tell us a little about yourself and the following question is a discussion starter, but feel free to offer your comments, question or observations about John 1:1-18

What is significant to you in the statements made about “The Word” in these passages?

3 Likes

I find it interesting that they make a focus on saying “the Jews” rejected Jesus when all of Jesus disciples were Jewish and, Jesus says Himself that he came specifically for the “Lost sheep of Israel.”

What do you make of this, @BloomHere?

1 Like

Hi April,

I just stumbled upon this study. What a great find! I’ve been a Christian for many years, but only dipped my toes into apologetics for the last three or four years. That may sound like a long time, but I have only limited time to enjoy reading and learning (my reading list has grown longer than my life will last - lol), so I still feel like a novice!! But I love learning. When my world started to fall apart, God used apologetics to get me back on my feet and shore-up my faith. Having sound and plausible arguments for what I believe has strengthened my faith. Looking forward to this study with other believers!

One thing that continually amazes me about God’s word is that no matter how many times I’ve read something, God has a way of making something new stand out. As I read through these verses a couple of things struck me…

1. Never thought about just how radical and “newsworthy” John the Baptist was in his day. I’ve realized that he was “important”, but he was waaaaaayyyy more. Putting it in terms of being on the news, Twitter, etc. changed my perspective on just how important his role was for his day. Since we don’t live in a society where “religious” leaders are very important, I guess I didn’t stop to think of how very central they were in Jesus’ day. I pray our lives cause such notice in whatever sphere of influence God places us.

2. Adopted into God’s family!!! How powerful is this when we really step into this truth. Have I really stepped into this truth? embraced it? understand it and how it should impact my speech, behavior, responses, etc.? This alone would seem to be a study on which you could spend hours or days. It goes hand in hand with the grace and truth. Undeserved. We are allowed to come before Him as His child…undeserved love and kindness. Called to extend that same grace. I wonder, when I do not extend that same grace to others, is it because I forget that it has been extended to me… Do I forget who I am and how valued I am? Am I looking for “that” person’s approval and forget who has approved me? Hmmmm, so deep and profound. :slight_smile:

1 Like

Hi @Jesse_Means_God_Exists!
Thank you for your thoughtful question. I think, like so much of God’s Word, it involves a lot of layers.
Verses 10 and 11 communicate a sort of poetic dichotomy.
Vs.10> Jesus is in the world and even made the world but the world doesn’t recognize Him.
Vs.11> Jesus came to His own but His own didn’t receive Him.

While Jesus fulfilled all the Scripture and prophesy as communicated from the beginning (Genesis) and the Lord chose to come through the nation of Israel and set it apart for this particular blessing, many (but not all) did not accept His true identity.

John the Baptist made great inroads (as was his job!) for Jesus as a couple of Jesus’s disciples were first John’s disciples. and he boldly proclaimed the Lamb of God to the people of Israel.

But at the same time God used this very rejection of many to bring about Jesus’s work on the cross that brought salvation to the world. To think that if the entire nation of Israel had accepted His declarations of His deity incarnate, no one would be saved! (Peter confirms this in Acts 2:36 .)

And you’re on point that He was committed to giving His message first to His own as He first sends out His disciples. (Matt 10:1-6)

Then before His ascension He gives the Great Commission to evangelize the world.

It’s very touching that Paul continues Jesus’s commitment to the “Lost sheep of Israel” as you watch him operate in His missionary journeys. Everywhere Paul went he entered first into the Synagogues to show them how Jesus had fulfilled Scripture and made eternal life in God’s Presence a reality. After visiting the synagogues Paul would go to the gentile communities and give them the Good News! (Just one example here )

It’s interesting to consider that God doesn’t waste anything. Jesus’s own rejection enabled our salvation.
How could He be using things in our lives that don’t make sense to affect the world?

1 Like

It was the Sadducees and Pharisees, the political and religious leaders at the time that rejected Jesus. The people loved Jesus. The crowds loved Jesus. The ones who wanted Jesus dead were not “the Jews” But the people with clout.

And Paul clearly stated that the promises for the Israelites will remain. That is why you see so many prominent people who come from Israeli descent.

Just my 02.

1 Like

Hi @kelelek!
I’m so glad you found us! I SO agree:

no matter how many times I’ve read something, God has a way of making something new stand out.

God’s word is fresh all the time!

1. I liked that discussion on John the Baptist as well. He is such an interesting personality that I think he would stand out no matter what time in history God placed him! The dude wore camel hair and leather, ate bugs and honey and lived in the desert while speaking boldly and convincingly so people were baptized. I look forward to meeting him in glory!

I love your prayer:

I pray our lives cause such notice in whatever sphere of influence God places us.
Amen!

1. Royalty! That’s us! Like that David Crowder song: “Back to the Garden” where he sings about how we are “born to be royal”.
    Undeserved! Definitely
    And to impose that value on others is such a great witness of God’s love for His creation.You GO girl!
1 Like

Thank you for hosting this study, April! :slight_smile:

Re: What is significant to you in the statements made about “The Word” in these passages?

The opening verse is eloquent and profound! “In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with God, and the Word was God.”

As we read on and come to understand that John is saying the Word is Jesus Christ, then we are invited to contemplate the deep mystery of the Holy Trinity, where the Son is of the Father, yet has been always with the Father, and is not lesser than but of the same essence as the Father.

It also makes me think about what we humans mean by “word”, which indicates speech or written text for us, and harkens back to Genesis where we learn in the opening verse that God speaks the universe into existence (and yet, probably doesn’t actually speak, as we humans understand speaking, since there’s not yet any oxygen or other gases to form speech?): Genesis 1:3 And God said, “Let there be light,” and there was light. . . .

If God uses His words to create everything, and Jesus is the Word, then we come to see that it is through Jesus that God establishes His creation. If you look up Logos in the dictionary, you get this definition: “the Word of God, or principle of divine reason and creative order, identified in the Gospel of John with the second person of the Trinity incarnate in Jesus Christ.” (Oxford) So, all reason and order came to us from the Father through the Son. And when we did not then and do not now “recognise” Him, we are without reason, without order, wandering in darkness, and vulnerable to chaos and destruction.

2 Likes

I love this…A most excellent word study (Word Study :smile:) I love the breaking down and etymology of words. It’s so rich when you think about it! Jesus The Word and our spoken word, written word and when we remember that speaking is our primary method of communication.

This is very profound

So, all reason and order came to us from the Father through the Son. And when we did not then and do not now “recognise” Him, we are without reason, without order, wandering in darkness, and vulnerable to chaos and destruction.

Truly He is the source of reason, order, light and salvation, and without Him we are lost in the dark.

1 Like

I love the way John 1 reflects Genesis 1. Both involve the Trinity in the beauty of Creation.

2 Likes

Hi there Susan!
So true! John 1 is a reaffirmation of Genesis 1 giving insight into the Spirit over creation and the Who behind the “Let us” and “our” in Genesis 1:26.

1 Like