Book of John Bible Study Book 1 Week 2

The Word One to One pages 22-35

John 1:19-34

Download Book 1 here

January 19- January 25, 2020

Information on this study is here

Week one got off to a great start! Thank you for sharing your wonderful insights!

Feel free to reply to this post with your own comments, questions or applications from your time in this week’s passages.

Last week we could see Jesus established as God incarnate, source of Light, Eternal, and Creator. This week we see John the Baptist confirm Jesus’s eternal nature but also announce Him as the Lamb of God.

How does this lead you to worship Him?

1 Like

I never read these verses without thinking of how complete the Person of Christ is. He is everything, supplying everything, knows how this story of humanity will all develop in the fall, but creates us anyway, comes up with the plan for our escape from judgment, is Himself the solution and gives His life out of love and mercy.

Mighty God
Prince of Peace

Light of the World
Lamb of God
Alpha and Omega

As a result of the anguish of His soul,
He shall see it and be satisfied;
By His knowledge [of what He has accomplished] the Righteous One,
My Servant, shall justify the many [making them righteous—upright before God, in right standing with Him],
For He shall bear [the responsibility for] their sins. Isaiah 53:11 (Amplified)

2 Likes

As I read this passage, I am hit be the fact that John’s first message is of his unworthiness to even take the sandals off of Christ’s feet, then he moves to the salvation message of who Jesus is and what he came to do for us. When God reveals things to me of just how much in need I am of a Savior, I naturally move towards Him in desperation and in adoration; marveling that he would die for someone like me.

Moses was commanded to take His shoes off because he was standing on Holy Ground. He was not allowed to even approach God. Who would dare to touch God, even to remove His sandals and serve Him.

This passage always causes me pause. How deep is my respect and reverence of God?

3 Likes

I had to think about this question for a few days before I could answer, and it occurred to me eventually why I was struggling to respond: not only in time, order, and the universe, but also in order of appearance in my own life, Jesus came before John. Jesus is the first holy person I remember learning about in my family, as a very small child, and he was spoken of as the Son of God. My earliest Bible-story memories are from pictures of Jesus with the little children gathered around him (from my Children’s Bible, which I still have), the Garden of Eden, and Noah’s Ark. As with many or even most children brought up with stories of Jesus who lived and died for us, it never occurred to me that belief was a question, or a choice; that came much later. So, Jesus I believed in early on. It was only later that I learned about John and his significance, in a way that stayed with me. That said, I love John and I especially love that he was Jesus’ cousin and that they loved each other from childhood. I cannot say that John “led” me to worship Jesus, as things unfolded in my own life; but I can imagine if I were living in the time of John and knew what manner of man he was, such words coming from him about Jesus would have no doubt made a deep impression. One thing that has left an indelible impression on me is the story of Jesus’ baptism, when John witnesses the dove fly down from Heaven and hears God saying, “This is my son, in whom I am well pleased” … but of course, some of the crowd gathered at the river could only hear thunder. That story gives me chills.

2 Likes

TDW,

@tdw What a great observation regarding hearing God’s voice! Oh, that I and those I pray for hear His voice with such clarity rather than the mumbled noise of thunder!!

2 Likes