Book of John Bible Study Book 2 Week 4

The Word One to One Book 2 pages 1-13

John 2:1-12

Download Book 2 here

February 2-8, 2020

Information on this study is here

We start book 2 of The Word One to One study this week and week 4 of our study!! Well done!

So when you post this week, please tell us:
Can you share a time when you were unexpectedly brought into a situation that God used to reveal His glory?

My answer: I was thinking of many situations that I’ve had unique glimpses of God in situations that come up unexpectedly. One that’s easy to share is from years ago when I was picking up my kiddos from school. As we drove out of the neighborhood, we noticed one of my daughter’s classmates walking with his dad. I had never met the dad, but knew the son from field trips, etc. We stopped and gave them a ride home. Over the course of months we developed a relationship with the whole family and ministered to them as we learned dad was terminally ill, and had been walking his son home because he could no longer drive. The dad was a faithful follower of the Lord, and his last days here on earth were filled with testimony and beautiful glimpses of glory. (He used to talk about the angels ministering to him.) God is so good, and I look forward to seeing Alan again in the Lord’s Presence!

Feel free to offer your insights, comments or questions on this week’s reading in this thread.

Or respond to the following:

What are some things Jesus revealed about Himself with His first miracle?

2 Likes

That is a beautiful story. Thanks for sharing. I am still pondering the question.

1 Like

April, what an amazing story! Thank you for sharing. :slight_smile:

Here is what came out of this lessons reading for me . . .

John 2:10-11 He didn’t share His glory to “show off”. He shared His glory so that THEY would believe!!! Have I ever thought of how profound that statement is and how it magnifies God’s incredible love for His creation. Believing Him does bring Him worship (worship He deserves), but we benefit with blessings that are unattainable on our own and completely undeserved. He gains what is rightfully His and we gain what we could never earn.

I loved her closing comments "We arrive at the biggest festival of the entire year - ‘Passover’ (when the Jews celebrate being saved) and Jesus (the Savior) acts as if He OWNS THE JOINT!’ lol So often portrayed as a weak person. A person people use for their own desires/needs. Yet here is person of great confidence, love, peace, mission, power . . .

My application from this is that I walk in gratitude and worship of my Lord and Savior. And to serve others with that same love knowing (like Christ did) who I am; seeking His approval and not the approval of men. To so love that the needs and salvation of others overshadows any thoughts to self. What an amazing God!

2 Likes

Thank you, Kelly! You make several great points. I love:

He gains what is rightfully His and we gain what we could never earn.

My application from this is that I walk in gratitude and worship of my Lord and Savior. And to serve others with that same love knowing (like Christ did) who I am; seeking His approval and not the approval of men. To so love that the needs and salvation of others overshadows any thoughts to self. What an amazing God!

Truly a relationship with Jesus is like nothing else! And I agree believing does bring worship.

I was impacted by a couple of things. First, His humility. Years ago I read a definition of humility, and I can’t remember where I found it, but I still had it in some notes I wrote:
Ultimate humility is setting aside or withholding one’s own power for the benefit of another.

His first sign or miracle was issued in front of his disciples, his mother and the servants rather than kings and people of wealth and influence. He is for everyone! And in the performing of it he saved the wedding party from social disgrace and financial difficulty. Of course we know from 2:11 that the disciples believed because of it. I was thinking if I’d been a servant, witnessing that would have stayed with me all my life, and I would have remembered it as I saw Him grow into a public figure.

I also see a King Who is in the details of life, and we can trust Him completely with anything big or small.

There is a lot of discussion about Mary’s motives in this passage, but I have to take her example. She took the problem to Jesus. She didn’t tell Him how to solve it, she just presented it. That should be my prayer life right there. Don’t present my great ideas for fixing problems, just hand them over!
Then take her next advice, “Do whatever He tells you.”

She takes a problem to Him, and He asks “Why do you involve me?” From a mom perspective I’m completely in her camp. Many of us love our children and have alot of confidence in their abilities to accomplish, but her son actually could do anything! LOL!
“Because Son, I have on good authority that you’re the Savior of the World! Would you, please fix this wine shortage??”

Anyway…I’ve gone on…I look forward to hearing more comments and insight!

2 Likes