Book of John Bible Study Book 3 Week 8

The Word One to One Book 3 pages 3-13

John 4:1-18

Download book 3 here

March 1-7, 2020

Information on this study is here

It’s week 8, and we are moving to the next book!

This week Jesus puts the kibosh on cultural stigmas and prejudices in His life changing encounter with the Samaritan woman at the well. (More next week!)

How has God spoken to you through these verses?

2 Likes

Greetings to all!! I loved this chapter! I’d love to share and hear your thoughts!! I found that the contrast between Nicodemus and the Samaritan woman to be very encouraging and exciting. While Nicodemus was a religious man, full of his own righteousness, he nevertheless came to Jesus. Isn’t it beautiful that Jesus didn’t turn him away!! He offered the answer to this very religious person in a way that he could receive and understand. With the Samaritan Christ’s mission did not change. He called to her and offered her eternal life in a manner that spoke to her.

These two people remind me that God is no respecter of persons. He desires that all come to Him and be saved. It reminds me of when Paul said that he becomes all things to all people so that he might reach some. Jesus is our example. Are we able to speak to others in their voice? or do our prejudices get in the way? I’ve experienced those who “hate” the religious yet are kind and compassionate to those seeped in sin. And visa versa. But Jesus called to both. He told them what they needed to hear in order to draw them to repentance and salvation. This message tells me that He longs for the religious to know of their need and for the sinner to know of His value and love for them. What an awesome God!

3 Likes

I liked the contrast discussion too! Jesus demonstrates His knowledge of the individual and His ability to meet the need of the individual. He informs the woman at the well that He knows everything about her, and then proceeds to offer her the choice of salvation and relationship in the Spirit.

In one sentence in John 4:10, He sums up the gospel.

Jesus answered her, “If you knew the gift of God and who it is that asks you for a drink, you would have asked him and he would have given you living water.”

1. It is a gift (if you knew the gift of God)
  2. It is through Jesus (you would ask the one who is here for it)
  3. It is available for those who ask (you would have asked…)
  4. It is gladly given (he would give it to the requester)
  5. living water is the gift (His Spirit necessary for eternal life, unlike that temporary stuff that only satisfies for the moment.)

Just like any gift, it must be received. Like a beautifully wrapped present that comes in the door and is set on the table. The one offered the gift has the option to open it and benefit from it, or reject it. But rejecting the gift doesn’t make it less beautiful or real. The choice is on the part of the recipient.

There are many times when I encounter someone who may not know Him, and I don’t allow Him to work through me because I’m not giving Him the lead. His intimate knowledge of everyone in creation is beyond comprehensible, and yet He offers relationship through love. I should be excited to let Him speak through me as He knows the needs of the person I stand with!

3 Likes

Hey you guys, please wait for me! Can I ask/say something as I see that you have already posted next week’s lesson, April? I just got back from out of town. I’ll try and ask.

I understand the spiritual connotation to the water being eternal. Yet, a question that I have is; Why do we often still feel thirsty? I understand if I would be engaged in a known sin but when I have Jesus inside, He tells us that we will never be thirsty again and I can often be dry and thirsty.

There is another question that I have. Jesus discerned her relational life. He gets this whole ball rolling by asking her to bring her husband. I’m asking this, almost sounding like a “How to?” book, but how do we hear more clearly from the Holy Spirit as to be discerning in engaging people to discuss right at the area that is meaningful to them? As Kelly says, Jesus speaks aptly to Nicodemus and the Samaritan woman. He doesn’t tell Nicodemus to come back with his wife! It wouldn’t be appropriate but how can we get our ears close to the ground as to hear the Holy Spirit when we have these spontaneous discussions?

2 Likes

Hey Tim,
Feel free to keep the discussion going! Glad you’re back, and I pray your trip brought benefit.

I understand the spiritual connotation to the water being eternal. Yet, a question that I have is; Why do we often still feel thirsty?

How do we hear more clearly from the Holy Spirit as to be discerning in engaging people to discuss right at the area that is meaningful to them?

Great questions! I’d love to hear feedback from others!

2 Likes

Anyone want to respond so I can wet my whistle? I’m parched more than I’d like to admit!

2 Likes

So when you ask

Why do we often still feel thirsty?

What type of thirst do you think we deal with most?

As a Christian I want to have discernment given by the Spirit to identify my source of thirst.
Am I getting too caught up in worldly encouragements or remedies?

Is my trust in the Lord to provide for my inmost needs floundering because my eyes are on physical or emotional baggage?

He gives us so many opportunities to work out our faith muscles in times of trial which as Paul reminds us in Romans 5:1-5.

Therefore, since we have been justified through faith, we have peace with God through our Lord Jesus Christ, through whom we have gained access by faith into this grace in which we now stand. And we boast in the hope of the glory of God. Not only so, but we also glory in our sufferings, because we know that suffering produces perseverance; perseverance, character; and character, hope. And hope does not put us to shame, because God’s love has been poured out into our hearts through the Holy Spirit, who has been given to us.

The Living Water produces a profound contentment, but it doesn’t mean everything will be easy or we won’t need to always rely on that never ending flow. I’ve had 4 friends battle cancer in the last couple of years. Two have been terminal and two have seen healing. One of these sweet friends who is terminal expresses her contentment and trust of the Lord in her every encounter. (My other friend who was terminal has gone to be with the Lord, and she was amazing…)

Satisfaction in Jesus overwhelms everything going on around and inside these believers. It is a kind of satisfaction that cannot be taken away nor understood by someone who doesn’t know the Lord.

In your other question:

How do we hear more clearly from the Holy Spirit as to be discerning in engaging people to discuss right at the area that is meaningful to them?

I can only speak for myself. I’ve had some tough encounters of various kinds (believers, atheists, agnostics, etc.) And that’s when the trust comes in. And the best ways to engage always come from Him, and it will likely be different with each unique and individual person. I know the HS will grant me His counsel when I ask Him. So when I’m having a conversation I employ that trust in Him to give me words.

I also pray to the Lord and listen to the person at the same time (this is when I know it’s only God at work because this would be impossible for me in my own power!)

That trust also has to be present after the fact. That I believe I operated in the power of the Holy Spirit and even if it didn’t seem “productive” or extraordinary in some way (in my limited ability to measure those things) I know the Lord knows all, and I trust He accomplished what He intended through my act of obedience.

Conversely, I was just telling my 6th graders yesterday that some of my biggest failings often comes in my silence. Clamping my mouth and denying the HS opportunity. Silence is so easy when you’re relying on yourself.

Is this what you’re talking about, Tim? (Now that I’ve gone on for so long, I ask :roll_eyes:)

I hope others will share insights on your questions too!

1 Like

I’ve had a crazy couple of weeks so am running behind too, Tim, but you know, when I read your heartfelt question, immediately this verse from Paul’s letters to the Romans came to mind: Romans 8:22-24 New International Version (NIV)

22 We know that the whole creation has been groaning as in the pains of childbirth right up to the present time. 23 Not only so, but we ourselves, who have the firstfruits of the Spirit, groan inwardly as we wait eagerly for our adoption to sonship, the redemption of our bodies. 24 For in this hope we were saved. But hope that is seen is no hope at all. Who hopes for what they already have?

I think “groaning” and “thirsting” are comparable in that they are states of longing. I think we will continue to groan and to thirst until the full reality of God’s plan is brought to bear upon the earth and its creatures. We’re still only halfway home. That’s just my sense of things. I am not making any claims as to accuracy. :slight_smile:

“If we find ourselves with a desire that nothing in this world can satisfy, the most probable explanation is that we were made for another world.” ~ C.S. Lewis

2 Likes