Book of John Bible Study Book 4 Week 11

The Word One to One Book 4

John 5:1-29

Download Book 4 Here

March 22-28, 2020

Information on this study is here

We start a new book this week!

What a timely passage considering world events! I don’t know about you, but my week has been quite unusual and a bit demanding. I was talking with a friend of mine earlier today about how times like these help us concrete our commitment to Christ because all of our security must be in Him! (And not in our bank account, our employment status, our ability to achieve or our connections in society, how much hand sanitizer we possess :grinning:, etc.) I’m not implying that everyone isn’t experiencing some new and difficult challenges, but as Christ followers, we have a different perspective.

Just as the crippled man needed to be prompted by Jesus to move toward spiritual health, He offers us opportunities for spiritual strength and growth. Build those faith muscles! And He backs it up with the important reminder that He’s got this!

My Father is always at his work to this very day, and I too am working. John 5:17

How are you doing?

2 Likes

John has become one of my favorite authors. His writings are a wealth of information.

I have to tell you how special this account is to me for two personal reasons. 1) I went to Israel in the fall and we went to Bethesda. I can see it now. The Bible comes to life because of that trip. Everyone should go to Israel! 2) I have been paralyzed for 21 years. Wow - 38 years is a long time - especially without the help and equipment that I have.

There is my comment but here comes the questions! Why do you think that Jesus goes up to a paralyzed man and asks him if he wants to be healed? In fact, he never really answers Jesus; He just complains that no one helps him get into the healing water. But why would Jesus ask him if he wants the obvious?

Secondly, what is the stirring water all about? The study leader said that verse 4 may be added. Regardless, the invalid puts his hope into the stirred water. What is going on here? If people hadn’t been healed by being put in the water, this guy wouldn’t be hanging out there all of this time.

I was going to make another comment but my posts get too long…

2 Likes

Thank you, Tim, for giving us a glimpse into your life. This must be a very special passage of scripture! There is so much behind the posts on Connect! If you don’t mind me asking, how did you come to be paralyzed? If this is too personal, no pressure.

2 Likes

I don’t mind telling you how I was paralyzed. A chimney collapsed and hit the footings which cast the broken cinder block at me. I was a firefighter. I actually was dead but began breathing again though I don’t remember a month of my life. I was in the hospital. the first time, for 7 months.

2 Likes

That’s the hardest bit to remember during times of crisis, isn’t it? And yet, it’s true. He is always looking out for us and keeping our best interests in mind, even when it may not seem that way from our perspective. All the Pharisees could see was the small picture, from their grasping and petty human perspective that clung to power instead of love; whenever I read this I always think what terrible people they must have been. Then I remember that this is an attitude we are unfortunately all inclined toward when we feel under threat, physically, emotionally, mentally, socially, or spiritually. It’s not just them. It’s us too. How might we have acted? I wonder. Especially during times like this when people are fighting each other in the shops over packs of toilet paper and stealing bags of sugar out of old women’s hands, and punching each other … all that’s happened here lately. Yet, we are capable of acting on the inspiration of our “better angels,” when we listen to them instead of our basest and meanest impulses.

“We are not enemies, but friends. We must not be enemies. Though passion may have strained, it must not break our bonds of affection. The mystic chords of memory will swell when again touched, as surely they will be, by the better angels of our nature.” ~ Abraham Lincoln

2 Likes

Oh. I can’t imagine. I hope you see a hero and a courageous defender of the faith in the mirror each day because that’s what we see. You have picked up your spiritual mat and walked along with the Lord.

1 Like

You know I agree, we see so much of the worst of people in this world crisis. I think it’s what we are being fed so much of it right now. It’s easy to be like the man waiting beside the pool, unhappy because no one would lift him to the water…and then Jesus…

It’s opportunity for us as believers to be different. When I was at the store last week, people were patient in very long lines, making jokes, and shopping for neighbors. We’ll have to avert our eyes from so much of the appalling and look for ways of doing good. An attitude of peace and generosity goes such a long way. I hear online churches are receiving worldwide views! God will use this time to draw people to Himself.

Just like the man beside the pool this week, it may take more than one encounter with Jesus to move a person into fellowship.

I was thinking of @Tim_Ramey 's comment on his trip to Israel and the stirring of the water. Tim, I understand they have uncovered this pool in Bethesda and you can see it today. Did you go there?

There was a belief that an angel occasionally stirred the water giving it a miracle healing effect. I don’t know if this because there was a spring underneath that gave it some type of movement. My Amplified Bible (which I love!) says this:

Later on there was a Jewish feast (festival), and Jesus went up to Jerusalem.
Now in Jerusalem, near the Sheep Gate, there is a [a]pool, which is called in Hebrew (Jewish Aramaic) Bethesda, having five porticoes (alcoves, colonnades). In these porticoes lay a great number of people who were sick, blind, lame, withered, [b][waiting for the stirring of the water; 4 for an angel of the Lord went down into the pool at appointed seasons and stirred up the water; the first one to go in after the water was stirred was healed of his disease.] 5 There was a certain man there who had been ill for thirty-eight years. John 5:1-5

As Tim mentioned, it does note that vs 3 and 4 are not in the earliest manuscripts.

I think Jesus was giving the man at the pool an opportunity to “pray”. To state aloud what he wanted to the One Who has power. Jesus has this similar exchange with the blind man in Mark 10:51.

3 Likes

No, I see a lame man who is no hero …

Yes, we went to the pool but to go into the site, I couldn’t see it because it was through a small opening. I was at the pools though.

Tina, I so agree with you. I am capable of doing anything. The moment I think I can handle this - face plant! We need Jesus every hour. My wife Nancy & I were talking about it today and I realize that we have to take hold of His grace through His death and resurrection every day. We don’t give our lives to Jesus one day and then go on cruise control. We need Him every second.

I liked your final comment, April. I would have to agree. As you spoke the same thing about Bartimaeus. Jesus asks him what he wants Him to do for him? Bartimaeus could have answered that he needed someone to guide him along or cook for him but he asked for what Jesus wanted to give him - his sight.

3 Likes

When you share your faith and your love and knowledge of the Lord, you are still rescuing people from fire.

2 Likes

Bless your sweet heart, April!

1 Like