Book of John Bible Study Book 6 Week 18

John 10:1-21

The Word One to One Book 6

Download Book 6 Here

May 10-16, 2020

Jesus gives us the beautiful illustration of the Good Shepherd. This amazing passage reminds me of how personal and accessible the Lord is!

The Word One to One opens with the reference to Ezekiel 34 containing a rebuke of leaders who rule harshly and brutally. And then contrasts with the Lord availing Himself. His shepherding comes with rest, protection, healing, strength, perfect justice, and individual attention.

In John 10, He makes a clear statement of the One Way, the Gate that leads to salvation.

I am the gate; whoever enters through me will be saved. (John 10:9)

Once we enter the Gate, He continues to lead us down the path and calls us to follow offering security, life to the full, peace and salvation from sin’s destruction!

He reaffirms His ownership of the salvation blueprint when He says:

I have other sheep…I must bring them also….They too will listen to my voice, and there shall be one flock and one shepherd. (John 10:16)

I think of the many people I know who do not know the Shepherd, and that part of my privileged fellowship with Him is introducing others to Him.

How do you hear the Shepherd’s voice in these passages?

3 Likes

I love your comment above about how personal and accessible the Lord is!

After reading through, I went back and pulled out snippets of verses from Ezekiel and John that support that statement: I myself will tend my sheep, I will search for the lost and bring back the strays, I will bind up the injured…, I will shepherd…, I will save my flock, came to bring life to the full, I will judge between one sheep and another, He calls His own sheep BY NAME and leads them out, He goes before them, I am the good shepherd and the good shepherd lays down his life for the sheep, I KNOW MY SHEEP.

That BY NAME really got to me. I can remember times where I haven’t seen someone, or they are someone I’ve only met once, yet they remember my name. That always impresses me and somehow speaks to me that people must be of value to them that they would remember names like that…not just remember meeting. You know, the ole “Hey, haven’t we met?, I remember seeing you …, you came to the church blah blah. What’s your name again?..” LOL I’m so guilty! (“sheepishly” hangs head in shame).

Yet Jesus…the most powerful and important being…knows each one of us by name!!! Kind of humbling and tremendously amazing.

1 Like

Amen, @kelelek ! I’m the same way…I am not a name person, but rather a nametag person. My visual learning is sometimes a problem when there’s no nametag…You’re right it’s such a testimony to making people special when you remember. This is something we can pray for each other.

1 Like