Book of John Bible Study Book 7 Week 21

John 11:28-57

The Word One to One Book 7

Download Book 7 Here

June 14-20, 2020

In our last reading at week 20, we read the first half of John 11 when Jesus is summoned by Martha and Mary because brother, Lazarus, is sick and consequently dies. Jesus arrives after Lazarus is dead and buried.

I’m so glad to be back here after a pause. The trouble at our house has been relentless in the last 3 weeks with everything from family members with health issues, physical safety (my sons live blocks from rioting) hail storm property damage, my credit card was electronically stolen, epic appliance failures (my fridge died last weekend and we didn’t catch it in time to save the 75# of different meats I had in there curing and brining for a smoke day.)

But then I open up my Bible to read this week’s reading, and I am reminded that Jesus allows difficult, and particularly undesirable things, but not without a real plan and purpose.

Then Jesus said, ‘Did I not tell you that if you believe, you will see the glory of God?

The material comments on the phrase used in verse 33,“deeply moved”. The Greek in the original text, brimaomai , translates into “snort with anger”. He was furious at death! It didn’t have to be this way….You know I was thinking how each life that ends is a reminder of the separation between what God intended in the perfect creation and the rebellion of humankind. (I’m not implying that every death is some type of punishment, but rather is a consequence of the problem.) As John Lennox says, “Death affects one out of one person.”

But Jesus is in the trenches with us! And there is a plan, and a solution orchestrated and executed by the Lord, and He has total power over life and death.

Jesus allowed Lazarus to experience the ultimate physical end so that God may be glorified.

“I am the resurrection and the life. The one who believes in me will live, even though they die; and whoever lives by believing in me will never die.

Therefore many of the Jews who had come to visit Mary and Martha, and had seen what Jesus did, and believed in him. (John 11:45)

What are some comparisons you see in the event of Lazarus’s return to life and the gift of spiritual and eternal resurrection available to us in Jesus Christ?

2 Likes

We have an added bonus feature for this week! Abdu Murray’s podcast The Defense Rests refers to this week’s passage of Lazarus’s resurrection with an added explanation of the atonement.
I highly recommend! Here is the link on Connect:

2 Likes