Book of John Bible Study Book 8 Segment 26

Today: John 13:36-14:7

The Word One to One (W121) Book 8 PDF with the link below:
The Word Book 8 web.pdf (1.8 MB)

Starting with the washing of the disciples’ feet at the beginning of chapter 13, there is a flow of teaching, warning, promises, comfort, encouragement and accessibility pouring from Jesus through chapter 17 culminating in a prayer for the disciples and for all believers (17:6-26).

This amazing after dinner conversation that we’ll continue to study in the coming weeks is so timely to direct our focus on truth and what really matters. Just as Jesus knew what was about to happen and how it would impact those He loved, so does He now know how much we need warning, promises and comfort in this life today.

Even though Jesus gave Peter a very clear and detailed warning that he would disown Jesus 3x by the next day, Peter doesn’t respond. And as we know from details a few hours later, he didn’t absorb the warning.

I wonder what went through his head? Was he relying on his own power rather than Jesus’s full knowledge of him?

Don’t get me wrong, I’m not picking on Peter. His life is one of failure, recovery, and victory that is very relatable as I recognize it in my own life.

How often do we rely on our own ability rather than trusting the Lord?

The Lord gives encouragement and reminders that He is equal to God and provides the only way to relationship with God.

Jesus told him, “I am the way, the truth, and the life. No one comes to the Father except through Me. If you know Me, you will also know My Father. From now on you do know Him and have seen Him.” John 14:6-7

His promise of preparing a place for us (14:2-4) has always been a favorite promise of mine. Just as a father and mother prepares joyfully and expectantly for the coming of a child with a place to sleep, eat and play, so does the Lord go and prepare for our arrival!

How would you explain the meaning of “the way”, “the truth”, and “the life” to someone who is unfamiliar with Jesus?

What strength for now and the future do you find in John 13:36-14:7?

1 Like