Book Recommendation: Gift for Graduating College Student?

(Mark A Parker) #1

I received this email from a friend today who owns some student housing units and would like some suggestions/input:

“If you could pick just one faith-based/faith-centered book or apologetic for the traditional Christian faith to give to a gen-x’er graduating from college that may or may not belong to a faith tradition, what would it be?”

(Carson Weitnauer) #2

Hi Mark,

How about Jesus Among Secular Gods?

Another book I love is The Reason for God by Tim Keller:

And Seeking Allah, Finding Jesus by Nabeel Qureshi for a different angle:

I’m curious to hear what others recommend!

(SeanO) #3

@mparkersdg Here are two that I think are general enough that you could hand them out to people without knowing if they are big readers or even if they are seeking. I think Yancey is good for those who may be put off by religion and Warren is good for someone who may throw it in a box and come back to it in a time of crisis.

The Jesus I Never Knew by Philip Yancey

The Purpose Driven Life - Rick Warren

I would give Mere Christianity by C. S. Lewis a go if you know they are willing to spend some time chewing on the ideas - Lewis is very engaging - or one of Tim Keller’s books. But these types of books take effort…

(Omar Rushlive Lozada Arellano) #4

@mparkersdg. I’m not sure what to recommend, since it would depend really on the particular person. But aside from what @CarsonWeitnauer recommended here are some good books for my taste, which I believe is best given to people who may or may not have a faith tradition:

Making Sense of God goes far back than Timothy Keller’s Reason for God. He addresses here attitudes and beliefs which some Christians may take to be self-evident, which are not biblical. These type of beliefs makes faith seem not so relevant or real anymore.

Dinesh D’Souza’s book made me appreciate the Christian faith further. Because of this book, I came to realize how Christianity contributed to society, which I had took for granted, thinking that it may be just how the world is.

I believe how Lee Strobel writes may be something a student graduating from college may appreciate. It’s like reading a novel. He interviewed here different scholars to talk about the evidence about Jesus. He was an atheist who came to faith as a result of his investigation.

(Brian Weeks) #5

I think Carson’s recommendations are excellent, especially the first two without knowing anything about the student’s worldview.

(Ron Livaudais) #6

One of the classics is C.S. Lewis’ timeless “Mere Christianity”
John Bunyan’s “Pilgrim’s Progress” is written in allegorical form
showing Christian’s journey(through good and bad)to the Celestial
City(heaven).