Brian Whitaker

Hello my Name is Brian Whitaker and I’m from New York City. I completed the core module with RZIM and it was a life changer as far as my thinking, evangelizing, and to how I approach conversations with people. I’m now doing the Why Suffering coursw and iI was invited to Connect.
This is my first day here and I’m excited to to chat with others here .
I have a huge heart for Muslims and I teach a VBS every year where 90% of my students are in fact Muslim.
My other passions are, mission trips to Guatemala, teaching Kids Bible school , and running the NYC MARATHON to raise money for 11 nations in Africa to provide clean drinking water to some of the poorest kids in the world .
Reading others stories and posts from others is so interesting to me . Building a series of replies to others will be edifying.
In Christ’s Love
Brian Whitaker

6 Likes

Welcome to the RZIM Community @unggoy324!

It is nice to meet you here. This is definitely a place to explore topics and conversations about the truth, some of which even specialize in your specific passion. May this forum be a deepening and awesome journey as you continue to get to know God and His sure Word even more.

Glad to have you here.
Philippians 1:9-11

3 Likes

Thank you so much for the warm welcome I really appreciate it. I am excited to be here

2 Likes

Hello @unggoy324! I am so glad you have joined us!

Your current involvements and passion to use your abilities for the love of Christ and the good or others is inspiring.

I think it’s amazing the door of opportunity you have to reach those Muslim children through VBS. Have you been able to find ways to connect with their families in any way?

I look forward to good conversations with you and continuing to learn through this avenue along side you!

5 Likes

Welcome, Brian! I also have a heart for Muslims. Each morning I pray with a ministry led by Muslim background believers (mbb’s). Hope For Ishmael is Tass Abu Saada’s Ministry. He used to drive for Arafat and kill Jews. Now, every morning he prays with this particular Jew! Only Jesus can reconcile.

hopeforishmael.org has more info. His daughter has a ministry that educates believers how to lead with love in their outreach to Muslims in their neighborhood. It’s a very good course as the instructors have decades of experience globally in Gaza, here and elsewhere. One of the instructors is a former imam. They teach with authority & experience.

Perhaps we can share with each other & encourage one another. I don’t know very much at all how to do this type of outreach but the Lord just leads, provides teachers & teaches me Himself. It’s extremely important given the times we live in. The Muslims hunger and thirst for righteousness and it breaks my heart that they’ve been so ensnared by such a religion.

6 Likes

Thanks for the sweetest reply to my introduction.
Hello Anna!
I have been able to have a few meals with a few families actually. When the wall of assumed dislike is broken down between Muslims and Christians I find loving people who don’t believe in the hatred that the latest versus of the Qu’Ran are commanded to adhere to . They assumed that we don’t like them either , which is obviously untrue.
The parents are always watching us closely during vacation Bible school and they don’t like their kids sitting on a mat for obvious reasons. There are certain rules that I’ve learned like we are not supposed to approach women, we are not supposed to extend our hands to women and we also dress respectfully in front of them because evangelising in shorts and a T-shirt doesn’t work well with them.
I’d love to forge an RZIM friendship with you and looking forward to it .

3 Likes

Wow what an encouraging reply and welcome .
That’s a very interesting story .
I think one of the worst things that we can do as far as evangelizing to Muslims in general is to lead with The Gospel and sound arrogant and like we know everything. Keeping that in mind , children are raised by fear of an unloving and unknowable god named Allah . So they are pre wired from day one not fear and try to do good to get to heaven .
ALL MBB’s will agree that their conversion was a long process.
I love the saying, "Love them until they ask why " . It’s actually an amazing story of a lady who was Palestinian and was a member of the PLO .We had the pleasure of meeting her and the author’s name is Nome Derani. She came to believe and accept Christ just because of the way Christian’s loved her and helped her .
Great to meet you and let’s stay in touch

3 Likes

That is so neat! My interest in what speaks love and respect to Muslims has been sparked by Nabeel Qureshi’s testimony that I came across earlier this year. It is amazing how much “prior assumptions” of religious motives bleed into first impressions. But it is very important for us as Christians to recognize that “Christianity” is also misread and understood when reaching out to others who are on the other side, just as much as it is important for us to not judge another’s individual motives based on the abuse the their religious association, like Ravi has pointed out.

The book that you referenced is very intriguing as well! I think the title “Love them until they ask Why” is a principle that we definitely do not do enough, not only with Muslims, but with many people sorting through their own struggle in their pursuit of truth. I would very much like to keep in touch with you and the ministry in NYC. Thank you for your response! The Lord bless you richly, my brother!

3 Likes

https://connect.rzim.org/t/the-doctrine-of-abrogation/38155/4?u=nikki_naparst

This is on the RZIM site, under a discussion entitled: Doctrine of Abrogation, from earlier this year. I responded several times & the discussion is really good as the Lord kept showing me things in Scripture about Ishmael & Islam. Very powerful & very helpful in our outreach.

Thanks for sharing the book with me. I hadn’t heard her story.

My friend, Sameed, has his testimony on a recent podcast. He was the former imam & his testimony is amazing. I’ll send you the link.

I find that praying every morning through Hope For Ishmael with mbb’s who are on the ground in Gaza & elsewhere around the world in places hostile to the gospel really helps me in this special outreach. As a Jew, is it roots me in the power of the gospel to bring former enemies together is absolute & perfect love, in service to our King.

Blessings;
-Nikki

2 Likes

Bless your heart @unggoy324 and welcome to Connect!

I am greatly encouraged by your passion for evangelism and full out ministry. Indeed when the Lord calls us to serve, He enables us and equips us, may you see His hand upon you as you serve.

I was teaching an evangelism class yesterday and God’s Word in Romans 10:14 did make for a sober moment, “How, then, can they call on the One they have not believed in? And how can they believe in the One of whom they have not heard? And how can they hear without someone preaching to them?”. Indeed the harvest is plentiful but the labourers are few, may the Lord give you special grace, and sustain you as you keep doing the good work for His kingdom.

2 Likes

Hello everybody I’m sorry I was off the radar for a couple of days I’m dealing with planning surgery on my shoulder before this pandemic gets any worse.
It is so encouraging to come back and see everybody still chatting here.
Let’s further His kingdom and glorify His name till we are called HOME

2 Likes

Hello how have you been ??? I need rotator cuff and bicep surgery so I’ve been busy . Just wanted to see how you are doing?
Tell me a little bit about yourself.
I liked your humble statement that Jesus will provide and lead you . If we get out of the way and just let God do what God does , I know better results can be expected with our work we do from righteousness .
Definitely want to stay in touch!!
Keep up the good work I’m sure God is proud

1 Like

Hello !!! How are you ?
Glorifying His Name???

2 Likes

Hey @unggoy324! I am blessed. The LORD is faithful.

I hope you have been able to explore this forum! Some of my favorite categories are #daily-evangelism, #bible-questions, and #christian-growth. If you haven’t checked them out, I would encourage you to👍 There are some fantastic conversations taking place.

1 Like