Can evil spirits do good?

My Hindu friend was recently healed from a very deadly disease by the Hindu priest in his temple. How can such religious leaders foresee, prophecy, heal, bless and help people grow in this manner?
Jesus said in John 17 about us receiving the glory of God so that we may perform “greater” miracles so that the non-believers can see and believe. How is this any different from what I just saw take place in my friends’ life?

2 Likes

Benhur -
That is a challenge! Some possibilities are:

1. He didn’t have the disease or he did have it but isn’t healed (symptoms have just improved). Are we sure he had the disease and also sure that he no longer has it? Have tests been run?
    2.Satan has a lot of power and it could be that he uses it to heal and draw your friend deeper from a belief in God. We can be sure that he wouldn’t use his power to actually help your friend.
  2. God healed him, in spite of who was praying, because he has a plan for his life that hasn’t come to fruit yet and He is drawing your friend to Himself.
    Do any of these ring true?
    -Susan
1 Like

He did have the disease called astasis if I’m not wrong. Me and my other friends went to visit him and he wasn’t capable of even sitting up straight. His family, including him is a strong believer of the Hindu faith and he was taken on a wheelchair to the temple where the priest chanted some words and he was able to stand. He came to college today and shared this experience by which i was very disturbed.

Check out psychogenic astasis.

Would you mind expanding this a little bit and explaining how it relates to the original post? I always value your insights and would love to hear what you have to say on this matter.

Will do. Apparently the body of my post was nixed, so I’ll have to recreate it (thanks Android). But in short untill then, astasis can have two forms: psychogenic and nonpsychogenic.

Psychogenic presents as a result of a psychosis and has no biological/etological source.

Nonpsychogenic is the result of a disease condition.

This is NOT to belittle either. They are both very real things. But only psychogenic astasis would respond to the kinds of counseling a spiritual healer provides. No ‘miracle’ or magic needed.

1 Like

@Benhur While the following Scripture applies to a particular time, it does indicate that false religious teachers can at times perform wonders to deceive and lead people astray into falsehood. I wouldn’t necessarily call that good—I would call it a helpful act with an evil motivation. Now, I am not accusing this religious teacher of maliciously deceiving anyone - they may be completely sincere. But I think we see that there are evil forces in the world.

Also, Jesus Himself is the center of Christianity. Christianity is not about power—to do miracles, rule the world, or anything else. Satan tempted Jesus by offering Him those things. Christianity is about recognizing the true God in the Person of Jesus Christ and giving Him our lives.

Matthew 24:22-25 - “If those days had not been cut short, no one would survive, but for the sake of the elect those days will be shortened. 23 At that time if anyone says to you, ‘Look, here is the Messiah!’ or, ‘There he is!’ do not believe it. 24 For false messiahs and false prophets will appear and perform great signs and wonders to deceive, if possible, even the elect. 25 See, I have told you ahead of time.

I think there are a few things to keep in mind regarding miracles as well:

• miracles are not the main evidence of the Christian faith - the life, death and resurrection of Jesus is the main evidence
  • there are evil spiritual forces in the world
  • each claim to the miraculous must be evaluated on its own merit
1 Like

Re the possibility of Satanic healing…
if you recall the scripture describing the man trying to get into the water before others, in order to be healed…as the story reveals…only one person was healed…the first one in…just after the angel stirred up the waters…John 5:4.I wondered about this healing…it doesn’t sound like the Father was involved…it says that an angel was involved…could that be one of the fallen angels?
If so, why would the fallen angel heal? Just one?
If the fallen angel was the cause of the weakness in that one, then he could remove that cause, and healing would result…But why would he do that?
Look at the torment caused for the others that weren’t healed…And it still happens today…why was only one healed in that healing service?
Think of the torment caused in that situation
Just some speculation on my part…any thoughts?
Neil Mace

I could be mistaken, but you seem possibly, to be suggesting the proposition that perhaps the Hindu-spiritual-dynamics and the Jesus-spiritual-dynamics could be pretty much the same thing.

To shine as much clarity as possible on your question: is that the thing you’d like to hear discussed in response to your question? Or am I missing the boat on this, and possibly reading something into your question that’s not there…

Thankyou for your patience in helping me to accurately “dial in” to the heart of what you’re truly pondering. I really respect it when folks are able to truly pull out the religious stops and wipe away the stigmas that might otherwise prohibit them from voicing honest objections and questions about the faith of the Bible.

So, could you confirm whether or not I seem to be reading your position correctly, or if you’d like to add anything to clarify, I would be glad to share my thoughts/experiences/resources and ponderings in response, But just want to be responding appropriately to the heart of your question.
Hope that makes sense…

1 Like