Can fear lead to demonic attack?

Can fear itself be an open door or be the authority needed for demonic attack to take place?

2 Likes

@Luna Appreciate you sharing :slight_smile: What is the background behind your question?

Tentatively, I would say that fear itself does not open such doors, but fear could lead us to make unwise decisions if we run somewhere other than the Lord. For example, if we run towards an idol rather than toward God it could open doors to temptation, spiritual decay or, in extreme cases, some form of oppression.

However, I think it is important to remember that Christ is the Good Shepherd and He lays down His life for His sheep. If the wolf comes, Christ will defend His own! Our God ever lives to intercede for us. When the devil came for Peter to sift him like wheat, Christ interceded and protected him. God knows that we are human and protects us in our frailties.

John 10:11-15 - “I am the good shepherd. The good shepherd lays down his life for the sheep. 12 The hired hand is not the shepherd and does not own the sheep. So when he sees the wolf coming, he abandons the sheep and runs away. Then the wolf attacks the flock and scatters it. 13 The man runs away because he is a hired hand and cares nothing for the sheep.

14 “I am the good shepherd; I know my sheep and my sheep know me— 15 just as the Father knows me and I know the Father—and I lay down my life for the sheep.

3 Likes

Thanks for answering @SeanO. The background to it was this video.

If I heard him correctly Dr Brown says that him being afraid was basically what gave way for demonic attack. So I was curious on what others thought about it.

3 Likes

@Luna His interpretation of his own experience is impossible for me to validate or invalidate. In the Scriptures, we plainly see that Christ is greater. I think we just trust in that reality and if we ever become afraid run to Jesus. It’s not something I would worry about honestly.

I John 4:4 - You, dear children, are from God and have overcome them, because the one who is in you is greater than the one who is in the world.

2 Likes

Yes. Absolutely, IMO.

In middle school I was a person who was a very fearful person. I believe the reason for my fear was because when I was baptized at the age of 12 that I didn’t take it seriously and didn’t know what I was getting into. This created spiritual attacks on me based in fear. I then later developed a mental illness that occurs in ~.2-.5% of the population called Schizoaffective Disorder Depressive type. It’s been a long road since then, but I’m happy to say God has gone to great lengths to show he loves me which is exactly what I need to fight the fear. I now have a very good quality of life - not due to my success in anything tangible - but because God reached out his hand to me and I am now committed to following Christ no matter the cost. God is truly good.

1 Like

If you were told “yes” what difference would it make to you?
Would the antidote be any different if the answer was “no”?
I don’t mean to invalidate your question (I’ve asked similar questions myself) but rather, it’s possible your question might be blurring certain lines…
Here’s what I mean: If I asked you: “what is the sum of 13 plus purple” you’d have to somehow address my question rather than give me an answer.
So, attempting to do that with your question I would respond by asking you the following question: Is a demonic attack more of a problem than “the fiery darts of the wicked”?

Ephesians 6 will give you the perspective on the spiritual landscape surrounding both this question and the answer. If you’re disappointed or confused after reading Ephesians 6 it will be helpful for you to back up to chapter 4 and then read through chapter 6 again. Keep in mind that chapters 1 through 3 lay the Underpinning for chapters 4 through 6. So if you study Ephesians by looking at what the first half is saying, and then observing how the second half springboards off the first half you’ll get the kind of questions and answers that will give you the answers someone with your kind of question actually needs.