Can God borrow from the devil? “ The father of lies “

CAN GOD BORROW FROM THE DEVIL, TO ACHIEVE HIS WILL ON EARTH?
Please help to clarify the scriptures below

“Then a spirit came forward and stood before the LORD, and said, ‘I will persuade him.’ The LORD said to him, ‘In what way?’ So he said, ‘I will go out and be a lying spirit in the mouth of all his prophets.’ And the LORD said, ‘You shall persuade him, and also prevail. Go out and do so.’”
‭‭I Kings‬ ‭22:21-22‬ ‭NKJV‬‬
2Chronicle 18:20-21

3 Likes

Hey Thabo @Molwantwa, great question. I am still working on the OT and by no means am I an expert but let me share my thoughts and what I got from some commentaries. Always, when reading any text in the bible, context is important. The OT is even wayyyy 2000-3000 years ago and if read in the lens of today, it can mean many things. Looking at the entire section, the story is talking about Ahab (King of the North side, Israel) and his eventual doom for not following God. From the start of creation, God has been telling all the leaders of Israel to stay faithful with God covenant and in return have all his blessings. When they go their own way, searching for power, fame, idolizing other Gods, they eventually find themselves in doom and slavery.

Now reading in the commentaries, in this story, Ahab is trying to take over the Ramoth-Gilead and he is speaking with Jehoshaphat, King of Judah to join forces to take the land from Syria. The original Israel had split to Judah and Israel at this time. Jehoshaphat recommends that they speak to the prophet of the Lords. Ahab brings his 400 prophets which were meant to be God’s prophets but have turned to false prophets as they lie and also worship other pagan gods. Jehoshaphat asks if there is a true prophet of the Lord. Ahab tells him Micaiah but at the same time, tells how much he hates Micaiah as he always tells him what he doesnt want to hear, the truth and their doom. Now the story continues and they ask Micaiah and first sarcastically says that they will win if they go to war just like the 400 false prophets but then tells them that they will actually die. They dont listen to him obviously.

Now the section you are talking about starts this way: starting from 1 Kings 19.

“Therefore hear the word of the LORD: I saw the LORD sitting on His throne, and all the host of heaven standing by, on His right hand and on His left. And the LORD said, ‘Who will persuade Ahab to go up, that he may fall at Ramoth Gilead?’ So one spoke in this manner, and another spoke in that manner. Then a spirit came forward and stood before the LORD, and said, ‘I will persuade him.’ The LORD said to him, ‘In what way?’ So he said, ‘I will go out and be a lying spirit in the mouth of all his prophets.’ And the LORD said, ‘You shall persuade him, and also prevail. Go out and do so.’ Therefore look! The LORD has put a lying spirit in the mouth of all these prophets of yours, and the LORD has declared disaster against you.”

Now when we look at it closely, this is speaking of a meeting in heaven. On the right at this instance, there is the good side, the good angels and on the left side, the unfavored side, the fallen angels/spirits, who are talking to God. This is similar to Job’s story when Satan goes to asks God so he can tempt him. So here too, the fallen angels/spirits are speaking to God.

Now God is not happy with how Ahab and Jehoshaphat have been living their lives and leading the people of Israel. He has warned them many many times via the true prophet, but they have not listened. So what is happening here is that God is letting the bad spirits to go ahead and do what they were going to do, as they please. He is saying go ahead and lie to them as you have wished to do so already to think that they would win the war if they went to war. God wants to leave them be as is and then they will learn from their mistakes.

So to answer your question, God is not borrowing from the devil but is leaving the scene if we dont want him there. He is not going to force his blessings on us if we say “No we got it, we dont need you.”

I hope that helps.
God Bless.

1 Like

Hi Mr. Thabo,

I can understand the confusion in this scripture. Please allow our Father to point out these things He is so forthright to give us.

Revelation 21:6 God is above all things. Colossians 1:16 God created all things and holds all together … Romans 11:23 God know all things. Jeremiah 32:17 God can do all and accomplish all things. Psalm 103:19 God is in control and rules over all things.

Your questions in this scripture are explained in 1 Samual 16:14 and 2 Cron. 18-22.

Blessings,
~Sanah~

1 Like