Can God regret a decision?

(Abby Narvaez) #1

P10 The word of the LORD came to Samuel: 11 “I regret that I have made Saul king, for he has turned back from following me and has not performed my commandments. 1 Sam 15. How can God regret something if he is all knowing?

(SeanO) #2

@jacque The fact that God regrets something does not mean that God did not know what was going to happen, but that God still reacts with compassion and sorrow when He sees evil. Think of Jesus at the tomb of Lazarus - ‘Jesus wept’. Why? Jesus knew Lazarus was going to shortly be raised from the dead. Jesus wept for our sake and because of the fact that He is God and takes no pleasure in evil or death.

Think of how we weep when we see something evil or sad even if we expected it or could have anticipated it. We see a young person headed down a dark road - we know where it is headed. When it happens we are still sad even though we saw it coming - it still breaks our heart. The fact that we knew does not prevent us from emotionally reacting to the situation.

God is a Person - not a set of attributes. So it is natural that He would also react to events that are tragic or sad - albeit not in the way that we would.

You might find this thread helpful: