Support RZIM Connect

Can one trust a source of scripture outside of the bible like this two books referenced in Scripture; The book of Jasher and The book of Enoch?

I happen to read these two books - The book of Jasher and The book of Enoch; and found out that what is written in them is actually quoted in Scripture and also referenced like the book of Jasher in Joshua 10:13. It happens that several Jewish Rabbis and Christian leaders agree to these books as canonical as well. So, I was wondering if such sources could also be trusted. :thinking:

2 Likes

Hey @Bassey!

I’m looking forward to hearing others’ views on this question as well. Here’s a link to a recent story backing up Enoch and some history on Jasher. Interesting for sure.
http://jasher.thebookofenoch.info/

2 Likes

While you are kicking this around you might want to include these as missing books of the as they were actual referenced.
A list of these lost sources would be extensive; it would include at least the following: the Book of the Wars of Yahweh (Num 21:14), the Book of the Just (Jasher) (Josh 10:13, 2 Sam 1:18), the Book of the Acts of Solomon (1 Kgs 11:41), the Book of the Annals of the Kings of Israel (1 Kgs 14:19, 2 Chr 33:18; cf. 2 Chr 20:34), the Book of the Annals of the Kings of Judah (1 Kgs 14:29, 15:7), the Annals of Samuel the seer (1 Chr 29:29), the History of Nathan the prophet (2 Chr 9:29), the Annals of Shemaiah the prophet and of Iddo the seer (2 Chr 12:15), the Annals of Jehu son of Hanani (2 Chr 20:34), an unknown and untitled writing of Isaiah (2 Chr 26:22), the Annals of Hozal (2 Chr 33:18), and an unknown lament for Josiah by Jeremiah (2 Chr 35:25).

If you include the Apocrypha there are also lost books mentioned; in particular, 1 Maccabees 16:24 refers to the Annals of John Hyrcanus. Within the Pseudepigrapha themselves there are references to “documents” now lost (cf. e.g. TJob 40:14, 41:6, 49:3, 50:3).

On the book of Enoch it was not mention as a book in the Bible but there is a very strong argument that it informed the NT writers and was likely alluded to in Peter and Jude. In Jude 14-15 Jude writes, “And Enoch, the seventh from Adam, also prophesied about these people, saying,…”.
If you are interested in this subject you will enjoy reading George Nickelsburg or Michael Heiser.
My thoughts.

2 Likes

Yea I’ve read the article on the link. It’s a good argument but many other statements on the book of Jasher show consistency with the book of jubilee and Enoch.

I really desire concrete answers to this question.
Thanks for the link, it was very helpful.

Shalom my big friend. :slightly_smiling_face:

2 Likes

Hi Bassey.
While I am not a bible scholar, I am a believer in the sufficiency and inerrancy of the cannonical bible (that is, the original writings) and I strongly believe that God in his sovereignty decided which books would make it into the bible, and which ones would be left out.
Since all the books mentioned above (including the Apocrypha) did not make it into the cannon, I would therefore not give them the same weight as the books that are in the bible, or consider them inerrent.
That being said, I would consider them as good books for insights into different aspects of the Israelites lives and their histories that fall between the events recorded in the cannon, this would include the different interventions by God into their lives also.
My take; What is in the bible is entirely sufficient for our spiritual growth. What is outside the bible, is good for filling in the blanks in our understanding of events and histories.

Sorry, no concrete answers, only my opinions.

4 Likes

Thank you so much @Jake. I really appreciate your opinion. I too take the bible as more significant and also apply what you said concerning the other books as well. Thanks a lot for your contribution. God bless you.
Shalom😄

2 Likes