Can something be true in science and false in philosophy?

I have always believed in the law of non contradiction and believe it is true. however I have heard that in quantum mechanics a bit can be both a 1 and a 0 at the same time. How can the law of non contradiction and this discovery in quantum science both be true? This seems like something that would validate the double truth theory, but I have a hard time believing that.
Additionally what are the implications of this? And how secondary is this issue?

Great question!

The concept of superposition in quantum mechanics, as I understand it, would not violate the law of non-contradiction. The law of non contradiction is to state that something both is and is not at the same time. It is a violation of the law of non-contradiction to say that A = B and A /= B at the same time. If superposition posited that the bit is both 1 and not 1 that would be a violation. Instead the theory states that A is 1 and 0 at the same time. I would say this does not necessarily violate the law of non-contradiction. Superposition would seem to add a property to a particle rather than be a negation.

Thank you so much that answer was beyond satisfactory.

1 Like

Glad you found it helpful @Daniel.S!

If you want to really get deep into this stuff and follow the thoughts of Philip Ball, the idea of a superposition is not really what is happening in the quantum system at all. Rather, it is an attempt at an interpretation of the results of measurement. It is saying the measurement of the particle can give us an up or down spin once it is measured. Before it is measured, we would say it is in a state of superposition, but we do not really know what that means. It is very fascinating.

I highly recommend watching this YouTube video for more information! Would love to talk about it further!

1 Like

Yes I watched the lecture, I won’t pretend I understood all he said hahaha, however this did help me to grasp how a partial having a spin like 1 + 0 is not a violation of the law of non contradiction. And I think this “spooky action at a distance” is super fascinating, do you think it is safe to say that, particles would not behave that way if materialism were true? Because it seems as if there must be some sort of invisible factor there, but I don’t know.

1 Like

It might be a bit of a stretch to say this. Just because the underlying phenomenon is not understood does not necessitate a non-materialistic explanation. This would fall into a sort of God-of-the-gaps category. This doesn’t mean that the whole universe doesn’t need a non-material explanation though. I believe that it does!

Okay yes I see, and now that I think about it he did kind of give an explanation for this, that the particles property’s were non local which is crazy to me but yes thank you

1 Like

Hi Daniel!

I found John Polkinghorne’s book “Quantum Theory - a very short introduction” helpful. He writes about the measurement problem in quantum theory and superposition on pages 44ff.

1 Like

This brings to mind the Trinity. God is the Father and the Son and the Spirit distinct but not separate from each other. Both one and the other at the same time. If I’m correct, then this new discovery only validates as an example, what the scripture has said along. If I’m right🤗

I also found this work by Polkinghorne to be quite helpful:

https://www.christianbook.com/quantum-physics-and-theology-unexpected-kinship/john-polkinghorne/9780300138405/pd/138405?product_redirect=1&search_term=quantum%20ph&Ntt=138405&item_code=&Ntk=keywords&event=ESRCP

Ok That stretched my brain thank you.

1 Like