Can we find the Gospel in the list of names in Genesis 5?

(Michael Shotwell) #1

I can imagine through the generations there have been many fake scholars and prophets, making worldly gains from people who want to believe what they hear. Discerning the truth can be difficult at times, especially when we get excited.

Screenshot_20180918-141710
Screenshot_20180918-141710.png1920x1200 264 KB

I am becoming more interested in learning hebrew and greek, at least enough to not be fooled. I wonder if you could point out errors in this example?

(Andrew Bulin) #2

Hey there. Some quick Googling of these Cosmic Codes, Chuck Missler, Michael Talbot leaves me a little hesitant to trust these guys. I generally shy away from people making a “code” out of the Bible, seeing as I find it difficult enough to follow the basic function of hearing and obeying God’s literal message to me! :slight_smile:

That being said, I dug around in a few commentaries and though I did not see this precise outline, there is a nod to a bit of word play having some theological impact. The definitions are generally accepted, with some arguments due to the fact that we simply lack all the understanding of some of these ancient names, and some translators have different opinions. In general, word play is very significant, and a number of scholars cite R. Robinson’s “Literary Function of Genealogies of Genesis,” if you are like me and nerd-out on Bible-as-narrative readings and research.

Other interesting details I found on Genesis 5 is that it starts as, “the toledot or account/book of the generations of Adam.” It is possible that this was a reference to an extra-biblical resource in the day when the book of Genesis was compiled as we have it. See if you also notice the similarities to how Gen. 2:4 starts. There is almost a poetic reading in 5:1,2 that repeats Gen. 1:27, and it somewhat repeats again in 5:3. This time it’s man having a son in his likeness, Adam to Seth.[1]

I don’t know Greek and Hebrew, but we can utilize scholarly commentaries to help with digging into not just word-for-word translation (which some of the Hebrew meaning gets lost), but also the contemporary issues and situations that were taking place as the writers were writing to their audience. As far as good commentaries go, the paperback Tyndale series are fairly inexpensive and provide a good cursory explanation for each book of the Bible. I like Word Biblical and New American Commentary, but keep in mind that not all the authors of each book of any commentary set are equal in their work. And then @SeanO is around here and has an amazing number of resources he normally recommends. Here is one link I dug up, but he may show up with others…

How do you feel about these “codes” and readings as it relates to the Gospel message?

Thanks for the interesting post! I wound up doing a lot of reading on Genesis 5 tonight. :smile:

[1] Kenneth A. Matthews, Genesis 1-11:26 in The New American Commentary vol. 1A (Nashville: B&H, 1996) 295-319.

(SeanO) #3

@Rexton Thank you for that post. @andrew.bulin made some great points. Regarding the interpretation of the names in Genesis 5 as a Gospel message, I would say that if you look at the original languages the translations of those names do not line up quite as neatly as this interpretation suggests (see Logos community forum discussion below for some perspectives). I would generally say that it is not wise to try to interpret the Bible using hidden codes. Jesus and the apostles did not do so and I believe that if it was a valid method of understanding the OT texts then surely the apostles would have used it, but they did not.

https://community.logos.com/forums/t/20073.aspx

Here are some tools for studying the Bible more deeply:

The Lord Jesus grant you wisdom and discernment as you study.