Can we worship in spirit and not in truth?

Can believers be In spirit, and at the same time not be in truth? If we have the indwell of the Holy Spirit, shouldn’t that also be the truth?

But the hour is coming, and now is, when the true worshipers will worship the Father in spirit and truth; for the Father is seeking such to worship Him. God is Spirit, and those who worship Him must worship in spirit and truth.”
John 4:23‭-‬24 NKJV

2 Likes

Well, you are right that believers are always in the Spirit - Romans 8:9.

And being in the Spirit certainly gives us constant access to the truth - John 16:13. So the two definitely go together.

And I sure wish that I could say I always perfectly follow the truth I am given. But I have to admit that I often fail.

But as we improve our life walk in the Spirit, we also improve our lifestyle of worship in the truth.

I hope this helps you.

3 Likes

@Chukwudi_Kingsley_Ononiwu Great question :slight_smile: I think it helps to look at the surrounding context of Jesus’ statement. The Samaritan woman has just questioned Jesus by saying the Samaritans and Jews worship on different mountains. Jesus replies by saying that salvation is from the Jews—not the Samaritans—but that one day neither mountain will be important because people will worship God in spirit and truth.

So Jesus’ point was that one day soon people would worship God not at a mountain, but in spirit and truth. Jesus is the truth and the Spirit testifies about Jesus. So Jesus’ point, in my understanding, is that one day people will be filled with the Holy Spirit and worship Him. As Christians we are God’s temple; His Spirit dwells in us and we worship the true God.

In that sense, I think the answer to your question is that spirit and truth must indeed go together because the Spirit will always point us to the truth, who is Jesus.

John 4:19-24 - “Sir,” the woman said, “I can see that you are a prophet. 20 Our ancestors worshiped on this mountain, but you Jews claim that the place where we must worship is in Jerusalem.” “Woman,” Jesus replied, “believe me, a time is coming when you will worship the Father neither on this mountain nor in Jerusalem. 22 You Samaritans worship what you do not know; we worship what we do know, for salvation is from the Jews. 23 Yet a time is coming and has now come when the true worshipers will worship the Father in the Spirit and in truth, for they are the kind of worshipers the Father seeks. 24 God is spirit, and his worshipers must worship in the Spirit and in truth.”

2 Likes

Thanks, I appreciate ur light sir

1 Like

Clarity received sir🙂 thank you

1 Like