Can you bribe God?

Hi,
I was reading psalm 22 where David asks God tot save him. And in return he sais he will praise God and help the poor. Does God care about those kind of deals?

2 Likes

@dePloert Great question :slight_smile: No, God cannot be bribed. The only path to God is a total surrendering of our heart and life to His love and protection.

And if we read Psalms 22 closer, as well as look at other Psalms, I believe you will find that David is not striking a deal with God. Rather, David believes it is in God’s character to help the poor and afflicted who call upon His name and so, when God delivers, the poor and afflicted will naturally be delivered as well. Also, elsewhere in the Psalms, as well as in David’s own life, we see that David honors God even when he is wandering through the wilderness with no clear sign of God’s promises being fulfilled in sight. Like Abraham, David trusted God even when things did not work out as he wished or God’s promises were far off.

Psalms 22:22-24 - I will declare your name to my people;
in the assembly I will praise you.
23 You who fear the Lord, praise him!
All you descendants of Jacob, honor him!
Revere him, all you descendants of Israel!
24 For he has not despised or scorned
the suffering of the afflicted one;
he has not hidden his face from him
but has listened to his cry for help.

Psalms 119:61 - Though the wicked bind me with ropes, I will not forget your law.

2 Likes