Can you comment on the subject of "hyergrace?"

Hello Ms. Margaret, Can you comment on the subject of Hyper Grace? Thx…

1 Like

Dear @pilgrim2 (Gary):

Hi Gary - I had to actually look up “hyper-grace” because I have never heard of this before! But, if it is anything like I found -

The term hyper-grace has been used to describe a new wave of teaching that emphasizes the grace of God to the exclusion of other vital teachings such as repentance and confession of sin. Hyper-grace teachers maintain that all sin, past, present, and future, has already been forgiven, so there is no need for a believer to ever confess it. Hyper-grace teaching says that, when God looks at us, He sees only a holy and righteous people. The conclusion of hyper-grace teaching is that we are not bound by Jesus’ teaching, even as we are not under the Law; that believers are not responsible for their sin; and that anyone who disagrees is a pharisaical legalist. In short, hyper-grace teachers “pervert the grace of our God into a license for immorality” [Jude 1:4] and flirt with antinomianism.(From: Got Questions.org)

then, I believe we can say that this is not something we can affirm. How does one understand the book of James, if grace is all that matters (and what kind of grace are we talking about here?) This sounds to me very much like ‘cheap grace’ in which peoples’ lives and behavior are inconsequential indicators of the gospel. Nothing could be further from the truth. Jesus said, “Unless your righteousness exceed that of the Scribes and Pharisees you shall not enter the kingdom of heaven.” (Matt. 5:20). Real faith involves action and our lives bear witness to what we truly believe. So, if I really believe in the grace of God given for me in the sacrificial death of Jesus on my behalf, my life should be a testimony to that fact, just as the book of James instructs. Faith without works is dead.

Any movement that doesn’t take the entire counsel of Scripture into consideration should be suspect.

I hope this is helpful to you! Thanks for asking.

Blessings,

Margaret

3 Likes