Can you lose your salvation?

(Joy Bittner) #1

Hello, I have a Mennonite Church in our area the believes that you can loose your salvation. Not so much by sins committed but rather that you would later change your mind and choose to reject Christ. I forget the scripture they base that on. I know there was a passage in Hebrews. I am a once saved always saved believer. We were talking about this on Sunday School and was just wondering your thoughts. Any you have to share I’d appreciate.

Introduction: My Name Here chukwudi kingsley
(Cameron Kufner) #2

Joy, thank you for your question. The answer is NO! a believer cannot lose his/her salvation. The main scripture that is used for those who believe that you can lose salvation is Hebrews 10:26 - they often don’t look at the theological standpoint of who that book was written to, nor do they look at what it was about. If you are truly saved and born of the spirit, you would never reject Christ. Works come as a result of a believers salvation. I am not a believer in “once saved, always saved”, but I believe in eternal security (Romans 8:1) “Once saved, always saved” says that someone can go on living a continuous life of sin and there is no need to repent because of Gods grace. There’s a scripture in Jude (Jude 1:4) that tells you about how people pervert Gods grace. Paul also wrote numerous times, I believe in Romans, that believers should not go on living in sin. If you are truly saved, your works and lifestyle of repentance come as a result of your salvation. Also, in Matthew (Matthew 24:13) it says that those who endure until the end will be saved. May our Lord bless you, Joy!

(Joy Bittner) #3

Thank you for you comment. I do however think Jude 4:1 is talking about apostates not of believers following the reason Jude was written. Contend for the faith. Not that salvation topic here.

(carlenem) #4

To me Rom 8:1 is eternal security and means when you are born again, savED, you won’t lose your salvation. Your last line to the above answer perplexed me, and appears to lean towards a performance based effort til the very last breath.

(Cameron Kufner) #5

Joy, thank you for your response. I agree that Jude was addressing a certain type of people of that time, but that can also be applied today. Many people today pervert Gods grace in order to live an ungodly life. The reason I stay away from “Once saved, always saved” is because it’s not found in scripture. Don’t get that confused with eternal security (Romans 8:1). “Once saved, always saved” is used to justify an ungodly lifestyle.

(Cameron Kufner) #6

Carlene, thank you for your reply. I am not saying works earns you salvation, salvation is through the work of Christ and Christ alone. We must have faith in Christ, but if we truly have faith, then works will result. James outlines this perfectly: “Faith without works is dead faith.” Meaning if we don’t have works, we don’t truly have faith. Those who truly have faith will endure until the end. Thanks.

(SeanO) #7

@Joy_Bittner Thank you for that question - I appreciate @CamKufner’s comments - I think they are very helpful. My goal is not to state my personal position, but perhaps to help you guys understand why someone might believe that you can choose to reject God after being saved. For a more detailed discussion, please see the thread on eternal security I have linked at the bottom of this post.

A few reasons someone might believe you could lose your salvation are listed below - this list is not comprehensive:

• God warns us to work out our salvation with fear and trembling
  • God talks about Churches in Revelation that have left their first love
  • the Israelites rejected God as King even though they were chosen
  • Saul rejected God even after prophesying and being anointed
  • the passage you mentioned from Hebrews 6 seems to imply that while it is a very serious and rare thing, someone could choose to leave the faith (quoted below)
  • in Deuteronomy 28 God lists curses if the Israelites do not keep His covenant even though they are already His chosen nation - clearly God thinks it is possible to freely leave the covenant, though again it is serious business

Hebrews 6:4-8 - It is impossible for those who have once been enlightened, who have tasted the heavenly gift, who have shared in the Holy Spirit, 5 who have tasted the goodness of the word of God and the powers of the coming age 6 and who have fallen away, to be brought back to repentance. To their loss they are crucifying the Son of God all over again and subjecting him to public disgrace. 7 Land that drinks in the rain often falling on it and that produces a crop useful to those for whom it is farmed receives the blessing of God. 8 But land that produces thorns and thistles is worthless and is in danger of being cursed. In the end it will be burned.

Please check out this thread for a fuller discussion of both viewpoints and some resources that might prove helpful in being able to see both sides. I sincerely believe Christians can study the Bible intelligently and believe either for or against eternal security.

Much love in Christ :slight_smile:

Introduction: my name is Cecilia