Child abortion

I’ve got a question about all these abortions taking place. What do you know about all these babies being aborted while they are still in the womb? Are they saved?

2 Likes

@BJ_Hernandez As @Abdu_Murray points out in a response below, the Bible never explicitly answers this question. However, I think the article below by Sam Storms does a great job of examining the Biblical evidence. Ultimately, we can trust God’s character because He has demonstrated His love for all people through Jesus.

“There is the consistent testimony of Scripture that people are judged on the basis of sins committed voluntary and consciously in the body (see 2 Cor. 5:10; [1 Cor. 6:9–10]). In other words, eternal judgment is always based on conscious rejection of divine revelation (whether in creation, conscience, or Christ) and willful disobedience. Are infants capable of either? There is no explicit account in Scripture of any other judgment based on any other grounds. Thus, those dying in infancy are saved because they do not (indeed cannot) satisfy the conditions for divine judgment.”

Now, when I address this question and questions like it, I like to proceed from a general principle of biblical interpretation - where the Bible doesn’t speak, I will not shout . What I mean by this is that I don’t want to draw a theological line in the sand on an issue the Bible either isn’t clear about or doesn’t specifically speak on. What we should all be concerned about is what I call "It-seems-to-me theology. In other words, we determine what God should be like based on what “It seems to me” God should be or act like. I think the destinies of babies who pass away is an area about which the Bible doesn’t speak very much. That isn’t to say that it doesn’t speak on it at all, though.

1 Like

Good evening, @BJ_Hernandez - that’s a good question you’ve asked. It’s heartbreaking when any child dies, and while you’ve asked this relative to aborted children, having verses to help comfort grieving parents is very important!

I tell people that everyone is judged according to the light they have, not the light they don’t - Romans 2:12. Greater light - greater judgment. Less light - less judgment. No light - no judgment.

Now, everyone at some point receives light from God. Jesus is the light which lighteth every man that cometh into the world - John 1:9. Whether scripture, or conscience within, or creation without, even people in primitive cultures have some light to follow.

Except infants. And Romans 4:15 says, where no law is, there is no transgression. Romans 5:13 adds that sin is not imputed when there is no law. So infants appear to be in a state of innocence no different from Adam and Eve before they met the serpent. Without any light to transgress against, they’re simply not lost yet.

One last thing. Since you asked this relative to aborted infants, John Piper offers this thought provoking observation: “The devils would gladly send millions of babies to heaven if it created millions of murderers on earth.”

I hope this helps with what you were looking for.

1 Like

That’s exactly what I needed to here so thank you very much👍🏼