Chosen

Mathew 20:16 So the last will be first, and the first last. For many are called, but few chosen.”
Many are called, I understand.
Few chosen I understand as well.
My question is how do you know you have been called but mor importantly how do you know if you have been chosen.
I know I was called. I struggle with if I was chosen.due to my life and my struggles and failures in life. Some of which I have shared on Connect.

2 Likes

@CharlesDavid Thank you so much for sharing your struggle friend :slight_smile: I think we’ve all been there and I think the best think to do is take your eyes off of yourself and fix them on Jesus. Don’t worry about whether or not your chosen - Christ accepts all who come. He is faithful to forgive all of our past sins. Instead of worrying about your past, go to Jesus for cleansing and He will give you life eternal. When you fail, repent and get back up. Keep chasing Jesus - keep your eyes on the cross and run hard after Him. He will not let you fail!

The life Christ offers is free to all who come - without money and without knowing whether or not we are called. We can rest - we can find peace - we can let go of our burdens at His feet. His grace is enough!

Matthew 11:28-30 - “Come to me, all you who are weary and burdened, and I will give you rest. 29 Take my yoke upon you and learn from me, for I am gentle and humble in heart, and you will find rest for your souls. 30 For my yoke is easy and my burden is light.”

1 John 1:9 - If we confess our sins, he is faithful and just and will forgive us our sins and purify us from all unrighteousness.

Isaiah 55:1 - “Come, all you who are thirsty,
come to the waters;
and you who have no money,
come, buy and eat!
Come, buy wine and milk
without money and without cost.

Here are some resources you may find helpful :slight_smile: Praying that the God of all peace would cleanse your heart, fix your eyes on Christ and pour out His everlasting love on you in a mighty way!

• you are a child in God’s family once you repent. A father does not kick their child out of the family every time they stumble - especially when they are young and still learning to walk. In the same way, our Heavenly Father does not kick us out every time we stumble, but He does discipline us, just as a father a child he loves (Hebrews 12:4-12). We need to take sin seriously - we need to repent - but we do not need to fear that we will be kicked out every time we fall. The Father is there to pick us up and help us continue on the journey.

• think about a kid who is learning to skateboard - who wants more than anything to learn to skateboard. He gets out there and tears his pants, skins his knees, cracks his shin - but every time he gets back up. He won’t give up - he wants this more than anything. As Christians, we aren’t perfect, but we want Jesus more than anything - and no matter how many times we fall we will get back up - we will fight - we will repent - we will strive to die with Christ and be made like Him.

The Book of I John is written specifically to help believers know that they are walking with Christ - those who love are born of God. In a similar way the Gospel of John was written so that unbelievers might believe.

The article from Gospel coalition suggest that there are 3 signs: theological, moral and social.

• theological - we believe in Jesus as revealed by the Scriptures
  • moral - growing in righteousness as defined by Scripture gives us confidence (whereas sin leads to confusion)
  • social - our love for other Christians and those in need should be a sign of indwelling of the Holy Spirit
4 Likes

Thank you @CharlesDavid for trusting us to help with your struggle. I am in agreement with @SeanO and he has given you some great resources. I am amazed at how that thought still enters my mind from time to time. We have to lean on the promises of God.
Philippians 1:6 “He who began a good work in you, WILL be faithful to complete it” **
__Ephesians 2:8-9 “For by grace you have been saved through faith, and that not of yourselves; it is the gift of God , not of works, lest anyone should boast.”

** John 5:24 “Truly, truly, I say to you, whoever hears my word and believes him who sent me has eternal life. He does not come into judgment, but has passed from death to life.”
__
When you have a life of much sin, and I do, our minds and our adversary will use that to make us doubt Gods promises.
As of late, I am using the scripture in Proverbs 3:5 Trust in the Lord with all your heart; and do not lean on your own understanding" My understanding is limited and does not see the complete picture. We will pray for one another :pray:

3 Likes

@CharlesDavid what a profound and deep question! The more I dwell on this the deeper it goes into my reason for existing and the way I should exist.
Also wish to agree with @SeanO just focus on Jesus.
(I use and love the amplified version, it speaks deeper into my heart)
Matthew 22:1-14 speaks of all those who were called but turned away from the invitation and eventually did far worse. The ones who did make it to the feast are the ones who were chosen. The one who was bound and cast out for not wearing the fitting attire for a wedding (keeping in mind that we are the bride of Christ) refers to one who accepted the invitation but did not conduct themselves according to the charge we have been given and did not equip ourselves with gifts freely given to us.
Revelation 19:6-8
Zechariah 3v4
Isiah 59:17
The Father has removed our wickedness and clothed us in salvation and righteousness.
I feel I need to stop here as going further might detract from the question.

I pray all peace and joy be with you.

3 Likes