Christ says love you enemy, does that include Satan?

How can one love evil?

2 Likes

I think when it says ‘love your enemy, do good to those that persecute you’ it’s saying love that person, not love their evil deeds or sinful decisions.

I’m reminded of the video put out by theBibleProject called the way of the exile. How do we love people and yet live in the world and point out the wrong that exists without being hypocritical. It’s a hard one.

Nowhere in scripture are we commanded to love Satan; Only to resist him (and the temptation to sin) using the armor of God, and he will flee from us.

James 4:7 Submit yourselves, then, to God. Resist the devil, and he will flee from you

Ephesians 6:11-18 King James Version (KJV)

11 Put on the whole armour of God, that ye may be able to stand against the wiles of the devil.

12 For we wrestle not against flesh and blood, but against principalities, against powers, against the rulers of the darkness of this world, against spiritual wickedness in high places.

13 Wherefore take unto you the whole armour of God, that ye may be able to withstand in the evil day, and having done all, to stand.

14 Stand therefore, having your loins girt about with truth, and having on the breastplate of righteousness;

15 And your feet shod with the preparation of the gospel of peace;

16 Above all, taking the shield of faith, wherewith ye shall be able to quench all the fiery darts of the wicked.

17 And take the helmet of salvation, and the sword of the Spirit, which is the word of God:

18 Praying always with all prayer and supplication in the Spirit, and watching thereunto with all perseverance and supplication for all saints;

Nor are we to rebuke Satan; as even Michael the arch angel said;

9 But even the archangel Michael, when he was disputing with the devil about the body of Moses, did not himself dare to condemn him for slander but said, “The Lord rebuke you!”[a]

Is that a helpful starting point ?

5 Likes

Hi @Wolfgang,you might also be interested in exploring the thread here, discussing this topic: Why cant we love our enemy the Devil?

2 Likes

@Wolfgang Great question :slight_smile: I think you must remember that evil is not a thing. the satan, or adversary, is opposed to God and seeks to murder, steal, and destroy. This being, however, is presumably not literally a dark mass of evil, but a being that has chosen to live in opposition to God and to perpetuate wickedness.

As such, I think we could safely say that God would desire that this being turn from evil, but I think it is also clear in Scripture that this being has gone beyond the point of being able to repent. In that sense, the satan is doomed because it has set itself against God and is beyond restoration. We see no prayers in Scripture on behalf of the satan or evil spirits, which suggest that they are indeed beyond hope. Jesus casts them out of the pigs and they show no signs of repentance, but only fear of the Day of Judgment.

So I think we need to keep in mind that while God is love, we are to have nothing to do with these beings who have chosen to place themselves in permanent opposition to the Creator.

Ezekiel 33:11 - Say to them, ‘As surely as I live, declares the Sovereign LORD, I take no pleasure in the death of the wicked, but rather that they turn from their ways and live. Turn! Turn from your evil ways! Why will you die, people of Israel?’

I’m not sure if the intent of your questions is to force me into an awkward position. But I feel no awkwardness whatever in affirming that God most certainly does love Satan. Indeed, what I should find awkward would be affirming that he does not! God is a perfectly loving being, whose love is not based on a person’s performance. Satan is a person, indeed, on the traditional conception an angelic person of unparalleled beauty and perfection among creatures. How could God not love him? The fact that that person is now fallen and unspeakably evil does not imply that God ceases to love him, any more than he ceased to love us when we fell and became enemies of God (Romans 5.10).

4 Likes

Let God worry about Satan.

3 Likes

That William Lane Craig article was great. Really thought provoking. Thankyou.

3 Likes

Thank you all so much

3 Likes

I found the video you posted to be imminently helpful for me with a recent question I was struggling with.

4 Likes

Indeed! I’ve always found Dr. Craig’s material to be clear and thought provoking.

2 Likes