Christian Marriage

marriage

(Kelvin Bottle) #21

Hi we have all messed up at some point. I have been looking at this and we do need to be careful when it comes to how we judge other people. Its a fine line between judge and rebuke.

However we are not called to leave our critical faculties to oneside and just accept the situation as it is. If our sin is like that of another then how can we judge that person that would be hypocritical of us to do that and is what Jesus in Mathew is going on about.

We should be able to hold our brothers and sisters to account if they profess Christ as Lord and to do so in love.

Perhaps consider it this way.

“You’ve mixed those ingredients in the wrong order that cake will never work”, instead of saying ok the other person says “why are you judging me? I’ll make the cake however I like” the comment was not to judge but to be critical of the action being carried out. I think sometimes people do not always see this and take it as a negative thing. My example is simple but does show a point.

If I do something wrong then as a brother or sister do they not need to share that concern with me that I might repent, and likewise the other way round. Letting a person keep on sinning is unloving.

Even when done in a sensitive and loving way it can still be taken the wrong way.

(Katherine Anderegg) #22

Thanks so much, Kelvin! At out church, we seem to be encountering some believers, especially in the Millennial and Gen X age group and younger, who feel that one is free to pick and choose which parts of Scripture to apply and who accuse the teachers who say otherwise of being “judgmental" or “narrow-minded" when we state that a believer in Christ doesn’t legitimately have that option. We understand, of course, that there are differences among believers in interpretation of verses on topics like the length of creation, divorce and remarriage, baptism, the Second Coming and spiritual gifts. I am talking about what most would consider essential doctrines—forgiving others, marital fidelity, truthfulness, etc. We even get into trouble for saying that there is a such thing as truth, and that it can be known, at least in part. (Postmodernism is alive and well in this group.) When we studied 1 Corinthians, several of the young adults in the group felt that Paul was out of line for expelling the man sleeping with his father’s wife and turning him over to Satan, "since both of the people are consenting adults.” They felt that it would be right for the man’s father to divorce his adulterous wife, but that the church had no business “meddling in someone’s private life.” The teachers aren’t sure how to handle this, as political correctness seems to be triumphing over Christian orthodoxy in some important areas. A number of these folks seem to base their beliefs entirely on their feelings rather than on Scripture or even reason. They seem perfectly happy holding logically inconsistent beliefs, for instance that the Bible is inerrant in all its teachings and that we should heed its teaching, but that that doesn’t mean that we aren’t free (or required!) to “adapt it to modern-day Western values,” e.g., by lowering the bar on premarital sex. Any ideas? We don’t want to be harsh, but we feel that there are certain things that are non-negotiable.

(Kelvin Bottle) #23

Hi Katherine, I agree with youin seeing Millennial and Gen X and younger thinking its ok to pick and choose scripture and abandoning tough scripture which has become unpalitable to them. I would also have to say the same thing for some of my generation too that think this is acceptable. The gospel goes beyound that of Matthew, Mark, Luke and John and envelopes all of scripture, it is a rather sad state of affairs that we find ourselves in an upward battle to win hearts minds and souls.

I read an article recently of a SSA pastor who decided to remove many parts of their Bible because they felt that they where not relevant, at the end what was left was Matthew, Mark, Luke and John. Picking and choosing scripture is something we cannot do. Perhaps some people need the proverbial kick up the backside to wake them up a little.

Yes believers may interpret scripture differently depending on what their theology looks like and this can be confusing espcially to those who are young believers who are in the formative years of faith, they will becoming with preconsived ideas and attempting to weigh up what the world is saying against what the church is saying. Can be challenging but requires the tough questions to be asked and a response given in the church. the more the church side steps the issue and lets the world dominate the conversation we start to become less effective. Should we not foster an enviroment where those questions can be asked either in the main gathering or in smaller house / life groups.

My wife helps to run a study group for young mums and I always ask what questions get asked. She tells me that they do not shy away from the tough questions and it makes me smile and think this is good, because they feel safe to ask them. they are open and discovering and seeking and perhaps God will act and convict them of how they are living out life at the moment.

Yes western values are being erroded all around us and we cannot let ourselves be carried with it, the more the church swims in the same direction as the cultures we live in the less effective the message becomes. we are called to be counter cultural to be that beacon of hope that helps and points people to Jesus.

Have you read the book: “counter Culture: Following Christ in an Anti-Christian Age by David Platt.”

I really liked this book it got me thinking and will be one that I will be re read again later this year.

asking questions of the people we minister too, that we what to love are good its important to get them to thinkm process and ponder like we are doing here.

I wonder as to how many people who think that we are being judgemental or meadling ar esimply reading scripture at face value through western eyes without considering the original context it was written in? Or on some really tough topics the historical relevance at the time.