Christian Response as we reopen the state

I am from Boston, a OR registered nurse by profession. I have seen and worked with the CoVID patients for the last 2 months since I got deployed from the OR. As a Christian how are we going to respond to the reopening of the states? I know a lot of people lost their jobs , unable to pay their dues and it’s a really tough times for a lot of people from the middle class to the poor most especially.Are most of us are just trying to prove we have freedom and we need to exercise it ? Is it a selfish act to reopen other establishments to public that could be a big cause of flocking of people that will result to another wave or should we strategize and think twice before reopening ? As a Christian where do we stand?

2 Likes

Good question Maria. I don’t know whether there is a Christian response to this question anymore than whether there is a Christian response to how much money the government needs to spend on various projects. It is in my mind always a balance between competing issues. We have to take the necessary precautions to keep people safe and on the other hand we have to allow people to get back to work to maintain their livelihoods. Our leaders need to take all the competing data into account and take appropriate action. So far I am generally in agreement with what they are doing namely opening up gradually asking everyone to practice the wearing of masks (which I think can be done universally) and maintain physical distance as appropriate. One thing we don’t want to do is to get to a point where our health systems are overwhelmed that not only the Covid-19 patients but everyone else will suffer not getting appropriately treated and end up similar to what happened in 1917.

3 Likes

Maria, I agree this is a profound question in our current climate. Hope this little bit will give you some insight and understanding. I would first like to say thank you for your service in the health industry I know your sacrifice and I appreciate it.

We cannot know the whole picture from our perspective, but we can use Godly wisdom, caution, and care.

James 3:13‭-‬18
Who is wise and understanding among you? Let him show by good conduct that his works are done in the meekness of wisdom. But if you have bitter envy and self-seeking in your hearts, do not boast and lie against the truth. This wisdom does not descend from above, but is earthly, sensual, demonic. For where envy and self-seeking exist, confusion and every evil thing are there. But the wisdom that is from above is first pure, then peaceable, gentle, willing to yield, full of mercy and good fruits, without partiality and without hypocrisy. Now the fruit of righteousness is sown in peace by those who make peace.

It is a difficult time for all but wisdom in how each individual handles their time of interaction while in the public can minimize the problems.

Some who choose unwisely could harm those who do, cautiously moving forward is a positive step for all, to get back to some degree of normal.

We cant just ignore things in a haphazard way, which would be very detrimental for many.

We have Gods favor but He also gave us wisdom, and discernment.

The guidelines in place and easing back is a good start.
Hope this helps you and thanks again for all you do.
Mike

3 Likes

Thank you both for your responses. As I was deployed outside of the OR , I was taking care of intubated, post intubated Covid patients I have seen how hard to be in a situation where these people are suffering physically and emotionally at the same time no family members on their side. Fighting with this virus alone was the most painful thing for them to face. As Christians we all are more careful in our actions because we conform to the standards of God, we do things most of the time making sure that our actions are for His glory. As I witnessed this it made me realize that some people who don’t take this issue seriously will jump on to this reopening hastily because they want to go back to the normalcy of life. And the second wave of these events will be exhausting not just to the public but to our health care system. I just hope we as the children of God will put on our shoulders the responsibility to educate our family and to move on along side with God, to continue teaching His words with power and conviction with the intention to act responsibly for the benefit, first of all our family and our community. Because I also firmly believe we can put Gods politics first in order for us to keep the politics of man in proper perspectives. Thank you for your time to answer my questions and we could always pray for each other in this time of turmoil.
I love my RZIM family. Keep up what God started in you and It is He who will accomplish until the end.