Christians and government

Hello!

My concern is should christians always obey government and those who are leading the country and have that authority or should we test and question them? What about bad government?

I see much trouble ahead between christians regarding this situation, one side is for exposing bad governments and their evil deeds, and the other is for blindly obedience without questioning anything they say and do?

How can brothers and sisters be encouragement to one another when they oppose each other on this, I think important subject in these days?

1 Like

I do not know how leaders are chosen in your country. In our nation, we elect our own – and I’ve often said that people who elect their own leaders will always get exactly what they deserve.

But even in countries that change hands in more violent ways, the winners tend to be those with the greater following. Whether people vote with ballots or bullets, they will still get what they deserve.

I look at nations where the gospel has taken root, and they seem to enjoy greater freedoms, a higher standard of living, and more political stability. And the basic character of the people seems more compassionate, more friendly, more generous.

I look at nations where the gospel has been excluded, and they seem to be the very reverse.

So regardless of the political structure, there seems to be a correlation between the character of the people and the nature of their government. This makes me wonder whether, generally speaking, corrupt governments may be a judgment on corrupt people (Isaiah 3:4-5 and 8), and moral governments may be a blessing upon moral people (I Kings 10:9).

Of course, all people are flawed to some degree, and so all governments are flawed. But I believe the reason God tells us to submit is because all governments are better than none at all. Under total anarchy and chaos, no one is safe.

And so, God ordains civil government. In John 19:11, Jesus said to the very governor who would crucify Him, Thou couldest have no power at all against me, except it were given thee from above.

As Paul writes these words to the Romans, the Caesar he tells them to be subject to is a madman named Nero – the one who will launch the first Roman persecution of the church – the one who will eventually behead Paul.

But now, I think I should provide a bit of balance here. It is true that God ordains civil government. But that was not the first sphere of authority that He ordained – nor the last.

God also ordained the home. In fact, the authority within the family was the very first institution that He ordained in the Garden of Eden (Genesis 1:28 and 2:24).

And He ordained the ecclesiastical authority of the church. The same Bible that tells us to be subject to civil authorities also tells us to be subject to our spiritual authorities as well (Hebrews 13:7 and 17).

But now notice that God never ordains any one institution to have all authority over every aspect of life. Only God has all authority. The legitimate authority of all human governments are limited within their proper spheres.

So the civil government has no God-given authority to dictate to the church what it must teach, who it must hire, how it must worship – or whether it has the state’s permission to even exist.

The civil government has no God-given authority to tell parents whether they must homeschool, use public schools or private – or whether they can use reasonable corporal discipline – or limit how many children a family can have.

And a father has no divine authority to order his children to override the speed limit.

And the church cannot tell a father when his children must go to bed.

Now, can one of these three institutions gain enough power to trample over the authority of the others? Oh, yes – but then they are usurping authority that God never ordained to them. And for one institution to defend its God-given authority against encroachment by another is entirely legitimate.

I hope these thoughts will help you.

3 Likes

Thank you very much for your answer. It helps :slight_smile:

1 Like