Coloassians 2:1-2

@Bible_Memorization_Group

Dear Persevering Ones!
We’re on to chapter 2 and our Paul begins as normal, giving us 4 verses before he catches his breath.

Between my health and my time in the Philippines, Colossians 1 is a little rusty But as I continue to review that as well as my other chapters, I am confident that they’ll be down solid again.

In a previous post I mentioned this but not a day goes by that the Lord does not encourages me with Philippians 3:3. Because I do feel terrible, I’m glad our confidence is not in the flesh. The final verse of Colossians1 is also so special to me. It could sound so “christianese” but isn’t it special to have the Living Word living in our hearts? It has so affected my prayer life, conviction, direction and it ways I would have never dreamed of. And now I’ll sound cheesy but it is doubly special doing it together. We all have different things jump out at us but it’s as if we are thinking similarly together. Thanks. It is really special.

I hope some of you who sat on the bench will jump in and memorize chapter 2. If you go halfway into it, it’ll be the first thing to go from your busy life. Don’t lie to yourself - if you set your mind to it, you know that you can do it. Here it is:

Colossians 2:1 For I want you to know how great a struggle I have for you and for those at Laodicea and for all who have not seen me face to face,
Colossians 2:2 that their hearts may be encouraged, being knit together in love, to reach all the riches of full assurance of understanding and the knowledge of God’s mystery, which is Christ, (ESV)

Colossians 2:1 For I would that ye knew what great conflict I have for you, and for them at Laodicea, and for as many as have not seen my face in the flesh;
Colossians 2:2 That their hearts might be comforted, being knit together in love, and unto all riches of the full assurance of understanding, to the acknowledgement of the mystery of God, and of the Father, and of Christ; (KJV)

I’m blown away by the depth of these and all the verses that we’ve had. May the Lord’s timing be such that for one of us, these verses were made for this time in our lives.

3 Likes

I definitely fell off about 8 verses into chapter 1. Coincidentally though I’ve been asked to preach a sermon on Colossians 2:1-5 on Father’s Day which, assuming I can stay locked in with you this go around, we should be right on track for memorization of that passage at that time! Thank you for your constant encouragement to memorize scripture together and your commitment to praying and lifting up one another!

1 Like

@Tim_Ramey, thanks for your encouragement. I look at the long Paul sentences and tremble at the thought of what I’m going to do with the prepositions and with ‘Christ’ vs. ‘Lord Jesus Christ’ and ‘Christ Jesus’. But you are right: if I set my mind to it, I know I can do it. And although I am still behind in memorizing chapter 1, it has already been profitable in confirming how doggedly I am to encourage, teach, and pray for these new believers we have. (v 28).

1 Like

I’m not sure why my translation reads the way it does for Colossians 1:29. It reads, “For this I toil, striving with all the energy which he mightily inspires within me.” No other versions have the word inspire. But I really like it because it seems to dovetail with my verse in Philippians about putting no confidence in the flesh. Because I am feeling so lousy, it seems to resonate with me that we toil with everything that we have but it’s not with our muscles but the energy derived from what the Lord inspires us with. How often have you felt led to do something but had no strength but when you go to do it, you rise up and do it with joy?

Does this make sense to anyone?

Carol, thank you for your very kind words. I’m with you on, was that Christ, or the Lord Jesus Christ etc? I had to smile when I read your post because that it my question all of the time.