Colossians 1:1-2

biblememorization

(Tim Ramey) #1

@Bible_Memorization_Group
Dearest Beloved

We are moving on to a new chapter as well as a new book. If you want to join the crowd, come along as, since we are just beginning the new chapter, it’d be a great time to join the gang. Many will attest to the fact that to memorize a chapter doing 2 verses/week while retain previously learned verses, has revolutionized their lives. The process really gets you into the Word and you begin seeing things that you didn’t know that they were there although the verses may be familiar to you.

I’d like to bring another thing to your attention. I’m asking all 39 of us to send me your full name and the city and country that you live. I have been pinning the names given to me on a world map. If you go to the site below, it contacts me to give you permission to see the map. It’s so encouraging just viewing it! When you click on a pin, it will tell you who lives in what city in that country. It is so cool. Please keep sending that information as the map is great but it only has about a third of us on there.
https://drive.google.com/open?id=12npP11ry5AlTxn9N64Ips16g1HG2Ph8Y&usp=sharing

On to the verses of the week… I am posting them in NIV, ESV, NKJV. if you have a version that you are using, let me know and I’ll add that version. For those who are relatively new, keep the comments about these or past verses coming as we learn so much from each other. Here we go:

Colossians 1:1 Paul, an apostle of Christ Jesus by the will of God, and Timothy our brother,
Colossians 1: 2 To God’s holy people in Colossae, the faithful brothers and sisters in Christ:
Grace and peace to you from God our Father. (NIV)

Colossians 1:1 Paul, an apostle of Christ Jesus by the will of God, and Timothy our brother,
Colossians 1: 2 To the saints and faithful brothers in Christ at Colossae:
Grace to you and peace from God our Father.(ESV)

Colossians 1:1 Paul, an apostle of Jesus Christ by the will of God, and Timothy our brother,
Colossians 1:2 2 To the saints and faithful brethren in Christ who are in Colosse:
Grace to you and peace from God our Father and the Lord Jesus Christ.(NKLV)

Let us hear from each other. These verses are “only” a greeting but they are packed with nuggets!

(Olivia Davis) #2

Hi Tim, and everyone else!

I want to join you all! I’ve been a “silent reader” for the past few months and thought I’d commit to the memorization once you all started a new book. So here I am! :raising_hand_woman:

@Tim_Ramey I’m in Madison, Mississippi, USA and requested access to the map! What a cool idea.

I’ll meditate on these verses and share any insights later in the week :slight_smile:

(Tim Ramey) #3

Yay, Olivia is with us! You are already on the map too! Does anyone want to see where Madison MS is? You’ll find Olivia’s town on the map!

Thanks for coming along side of us Olivia. I have read many of your posts and feel so privileged to have you with us.

Again, this week’s verses don’t seem too profound but it is amazing what the Lord pulls out of it to speak to us.

As I was reviewing past chapters today, can you imagine if I had a post where I told you to imitate me? But that is what Paul says in Philippians 3:17. The audacity! Or is it? Isn’t he not remarking that they should imitate Saul, but Paul, the new creation where Jesus has to do the work and it it His life beaming. I think we’d hesitate to tell people to imitate us because we are still going under the assumption that it is about me and not the risen life in me - Jesus.

(Linda Nikitin) #4

Saturday, February 9, 2019
Hullo Tim and Everybody memorizing Colossians 1:1-2,
My name is Linnie. I live in Warren, Michigan. Not far from the MI/OH border.

I will start memorizing Colossians 1:1-2 tomorrow.
I will be memorizing from the 1984 New International Version.
Thanks for letting me jump in to this new Bible memory project. And letting me join the map too.
Wonderful Idea!

Blessings

(Tim Ramey) #5

@Linnie Linda, it’s great to have you walk down this road with us. The more serious you are at staying with it, the more you will get out out it. My wife Nancy, should write a post, though she is not in Connect and verify how dramatic scripture memorization is as she repeatedly speaks of the change that there has been in me since doing this.

Linda and Chandra, I did send the OK for you to get onto the map and there you will find Linda, sitting in Warren, MI. Isn’t it fun seeing the growing number of memorizers on the map?

I did express to Carson what it takes to get everyone to send me their name and address so I can give them a home on the map but, in so many words, he told me to back off. So I will not be asking you for your name and city, state and country where you live. I’ll only be begging you! Just kidding. Only those who care to, I’d like you to do so.

Colossae here we come…
PS Linda, to be added to the biblememorizer group, click on it above and sign on. Thanks

(Linda Nikitin) #6

Monday, February 11, 2019
Good Morning Tim and Nancy, and everyone,
I am SO EXCITED about our Colossians group!
By The Lord Jesus’ Help and Power, I memorized Colossians 1:1-3 yesterday. I am saying the verses aloud slowly and I am thinking them through with The Lord Jesus’ Help.
I am also working on The Gospel of John.
Blessings :blush::dove:

(Tim Ramey) #9

@joyce_yung
Joyce, I don’t think you can ruin my map because it is under my name. I went in and made it larger but all you do is use the + on the bottom right to make it larger or the - to make it smaller. Then you can move the word in circles by grabbing it and turning it. Anymore troubles, you be sure to let me know, OK?

(joyce yung) #10

thanks

(chandra kishore sardar) #11

Thank you @Tim_Ramey for the access to the map. It looks great.
And thank you for leading the group with commendable patience and zeal. Its must be frustrating for you at times but please stay encouraged and keep doing whats good as it says in Galatians 6:9.
Love from Nepal !!

(Tim Ramey) #12

I think that I am involved with the most precious brothers and sisters in all of Connect. Just the replies today already have so touched my heart.

@chandrakishore Chandra, your encouraging words all the way from Nepal really was helpful. I love it that we can be together in the Lord though we are halfway around the world from each other. Thanks for Galations 6:9. Philippians 2:15 speaks of you. Keep shining in Nepal!

@joyce_yung Joyce, I’m glad your hanging tough. You mean so much to me as you a backbone to this group.

@Linnie Do you go by Linnie? What a spark of life and enthusiasm you’ve been! Wow! It is so great to have another Midwesterner aboard. I think I’m the only one in all of Connect from Minnesota. It is so good to be around people that love Jesus! You exude with it! Wait up for us Linnie, as you are already on verse 3 as well as John. I want to do this well as I memorize and then review to retain what I’ve learned but I am looking forward to doing John 15 someday.

Remember everyone to go to @Bible_Memorization_Group and sign in so you’ll be included in our correspondences.

I love you guys! How can I say that when I never even met you? I think Paul meant it when he never got to all of the places that he wrote to but really loved them because the Lord lit the fire in his heart. I genuinely feel that way towards you all. I praise God for you and am in prayer that what the Holy Spirit wants to personally say to you through His Word, that we will let Him.

(Kelly) #13

Hi memory team! What fun and what a challenge!! Tim - thanks for keeping this in front of us and challenging us!

I was reading through some commentaries on these two verses (thinking how much could there possible be in a greeting), but found a couple of very meaningful insights to me. God’s word is never dull. In the Cambridge Bible for Schools and Colleges I learned that the translations for “saints” is “holy ones”! Certainly not by our works, but God who has called us. Here was a something I thought very special: Expositor’s Greek Testament it is noted that the epistle is not addressed to the church…it’s addressed to individuals (To the “holy ones”, to the faithful brethren). I don’t know why, but that just feels so much more personal and endearing. It reminds me that God is not a God who is far off, but very near to us. This comes across in Paul’s greeting. Warm and gracious.

Looking forward to memorizing and learning.
Blessings~

(Tim Ramey) #14

“God’s Word is never dull.” Thanks for that comment Kelly. If you’re like me, I had a tendency to want to skip over the greetings but there are nuggets where you least expect them. Kelly, thank you for your insights. It is what I was hoping would happen as we memorize. So speak up everyone!

Getting back to you comments Kelly, saints also means “set apart.” So if you are uncomfortable calling yourselves saints because of our mistaken concept of a saint, or if you still are queasy referring yourselves as “holy ones” as Kelly mentioned, then think of yourselves as being set apart for Jesus. That’s what a saint or holy one is.

Thanks Kelly for your post that endeavors to do what Paul meant to do - to be more personal as he loved the brethren as he often called them the beloved. If Paul loved the sanits, how much more does our Lord? Again, your post meant a lot to me.

(Darlene Medford) #15

Good morning everyone. I had never paid very much attention to the greetings either but as I have gone over it several times in my head, I have had a sweet realization. Paul - who was Saul, who persecuted the church is now an apostle of Jesus Christ by the will of God. Only God can change us. And, if we will let Him it can be a drastic change. :slight_smile: Blessings to you all. I am so glad I joined this group.

(Linda Nikitin) #16

Thursday, February 14, 2019
Hullo Darlene,
My name is Linnie. I am SO GLAD that you joined our group too. Thanks SO MUCH for sharing your heart with us.
Blessings
Linnie :blush::hibiscus:

(Tim Ramey) #17

Dear Ones who are so special to me (as if you couldn’t tell!)

The other day, as I was biking home, I thought how important to me were the verses that were greetings or the times Paul is directing comments to individual people that he speaks to them by their names. Then Darlene, there is your post that talked about what I had been thinking. Thanks so much for sharing it. I still believe that it is important to be “legalistic” by memorizing every word in the chapter as you’ll be surprised how they intertwine to show you something that you had not seen before. I am so glad that you joined us Darlene.

And Linnie, you are so gifted with hospitality. And you exude with enthusiasm. My guess is that you had to be a cheerleader in your younger days because you sure cheer the troops on today.

(Darlene Medford) #18

Thank you for the welcome.:slight_smile:

(Kelly) #19

Darlene, I’ve re-read your post several times. It’s very profound and encouraging. I have several people I am praying for that just seem to be unreachable. I guess that’s why it’s so very encouraging!! Thanks!

(Tim Ramey) #20

Amen Kelly! I’m with you in appreciation of Darlene’s words as well as it’s application to our children. I’m with you Kelly. I feel that we are in the same room praying together at times.

(Olivia Davis) #21

Thanks so much for that insight, Darlene. What a relief that even we can’t stand in the way of God’s will!!

@kelelek, thanks so much for the info about who the letter is addressed to. I never knew it was originally intended for individual people instead of the whole church. You’re right, it does seem to make it more personal. What a nice tidbit to know at the beginning of a memorization!!

(Darlene Medford) #22

Kelly - It is hard to pray for our loved ones over long periods of time. I have been praying with a book loaned to me “Prayers for Prodigals” by James Banks. He threads scriptures through the prayers over 90 days. This is my 3rd time going through his book. Praying scripture is comforting - it reassures me that Jesus is faithful and He loves my loved ones more than I. Neither of us should not lose heart and be discouraged in our praying.