Colossians 1:19-20

biblememorization

(Tim Ramey) #1

@Bible_Memorization_Group
Hey, what happened to everyone? I leave the country and you all flee!! Just giving you all a hard time about the lack of interest in last week’s verses. I loved them but hardly anyone viewed them. I was excited about the flurry of interest in our prayer thread!

I’m in Mindanao in the Philippines. I almost didn’t make it out of Minneapolis because of a blizzard. Then I arrive here and it is 100. I love it! I really love the Filipinos and their culture and country. Please pray for my memorization as I’m away from my routine so it will be harder to memorize. I’ve been asked to speak at church tomorrow and I am going to share how profoundly the Lord has used Colossians 1 in my life and share through verse 20, where we are at. I walked around reciting our memory verses. Some thought that I was crazy but that’s OK because they are right! I just love blessing places with His Word.

This week we have the powerful verses that bring the verses we memorized thus far, to a head. “For in Him all of the fullness of God was pleased to dwell.” Word’s can’t add to that! Aw brothers and sisters, we are so blessed to know this and memorize it. How it ministers to our hearts. Then we get verse 20 but I’ll let you read that.

It’s Saturday afternoon here but Saturday morning for many of you. I am so privileged to be connected to the body of Christ. Please don’t give up on memorizing. These verses will save your lives and be used to save others as well. We can do it as we have been given the mind of Christ. I’m with you in Spirit as I speak tomorrow about these verses.

Look at these verses!!!

Colossians 1:19 For in him all the fullness of God was pleased to dwell,
Colossians 1:20 and through him to reconcile to himself all things, whether on earth or in heaven, making peace by the blood of his cross. (ESV)

Colossians 1:19 For it pleased the Father that in him should all fulness dwell;
Colossians 1:20 And, having made peace through the blood of his cross, by him to reconcile all things unto himself; by him, I say, whether they be things in earth, or things in heaven. (KJV)

Praise God! I sure love you guys!

(Tim Ramey) #2

I have a question about verse 20. I admit that I have not viewed the comments by a commentator but Jesus reconciled all things to Himself. What does it mean to reconcile things that are in heaven to Himself?

(Kelly) #3

Great question Tim!! I have been wondering the same thing. No time to look it up now, but look forward to see what others think!

(Tim Ramey) #4

Thanks Kelly. You must be swamped with being in the book club too. Thanks for being there. I will be interested what others say…

(Kelly) #5

Well, not too swamped. I read things, but have found that if I don’t talk about them or hear other’s opinions then it doesn’t really sink in where I can use the information. So, I’m pretty excited to join in the book club.

But this verse intrigued! Before reading any commentaries, my first thoughts are that it is referring to the righteous who have already died. Love to hear what others’ think!

(Darlene Medford) #6

Colossians 1:20 And, having made peace through the blood of his cross, by him to reconcile all things unto himself; by him, I say, whether they be things in earth, or things in heaven. (KJV)
From the dictionary - reconcile - verb: restore friendly relations between.

• cause to coexist in harmony; make or show to be compatible.

This is just from me reading and thinking and reading the definition of reconcile - I think Jesus becomes the mechanism or bridge between us and Himself. All of us have the invitation to be “in harmony and coexist with the Jesus and the Father” - - what do all of you think?

(Carson Weitnauer) #7

Hi Tim,

That’s an interesting question! Looking into the verse, there is a range of questions about what is meant by Colossians 1:20. Could you perhaps clarify what in particular you are wondering about?

(Tim Ramey) #8

My question is why Jesus would need to reconcile things in heaven? What things in heaven would need to be reconciled to Himself?

The Greek word used here is only used 3 times in the NT, twice in Colossians 1 and once in Ephesians. Here is it’d definition in the Greek:

ἀποκαταλλάττω
apokatalláttō; fut. apokatalláxō, from apó (G575), from, indicating the state to be left behind, and katallássō (G2644), to reconcile. Apokatallássō is the stronger term for reconcile, differing from katallássō (G2644), to reconcile, to set up a relationship of peace not existing before, in that apokatallássō is the restoration of a relationship of peace which has been disturbed (Eph_2:16; Col_1:20-21). See Eph_1:10 where the verb is anakephalaiṓsasthai, the aor. inf. mid. of anakephalaióō (G346), to gather together in one or under one head, which refers to the eschatological bringing together of Jews and Gentiles.
Syn.: diallássō (G1259), to reconcile in cases of mutual hostility; eirēnopoiéō (G1517), to make peace; sumbibázō (G4822), to drive together.

Sorry Carson, but I thought it might be easier just to copy what I found on the word. Where am I missing it?

(Donna Perry) #9

Tim, our brother in Christ

Tomorrow is Good Friday and I’m praying the Holy Spirit will speak words of God’s power through your mouth so many will hear how our Holy God took away our sin. May many see the love and sacrifice of our Savior Christ Jesus for us as God uses you to spread the gospel. Thank you so much Tim, for leaving your family to minister and share the gospel of Christ to the people in the Philippines. May His glory be known! And I ask our faithful Lord to give you the strength and grace you need to fulfill His purpose to the Philippine people. I pray the message of the Lord may spread rapidly and be honored just as it is with us. And Lord Jesus, protect Tim from evil, cover your beloved with your mighty hand. And one more thing Jesus, I ask all of Tim’s children and grandchildren will see the great things you do through their faithful Dad and grandfather.

God’s grace, mercy and voice be with you Tim.

Donna

(Tim Ramey) #10

Dear Donna
You can’t begin to realize how much I appreciated your words and prayer!!! Thank you so much, Donna. I’ve h\ad the opportunity to speak at church last Sunday and I will be doing so to a church in the mountains this Sunday. Just the connection of the Holy Spirit makes relationships so rich. I’ve never met you, Darlene, Lakshmi, Kelly and on and on I could go but He has created a bond that I hope that we always treasure.

The spirit of your heart has been what I, being an instrument of Jesus, want Him to do while I am here. Hey Donna, you prayed to Jesus, not to me, but I so love your “Oh, and one more thing Jesus” and then you prayed for the witness of His love to all of our children and grandchildren. Nancy is in CA now seeing 4 children there and she is carving out a time to fly my other daughter out so that they have a woman’s time together. Nancy is always speaking about the love of Jesus. Pray for them on Tues & Wed this week. She will be visiting every one of our children and grandchildren while I am here.

Thanks again Donna. Are you still on board for our pray time on Mondays?
In Jesus
Tim

(Lakshmi Mehta) #11

Here are a couple verses that could help explain Col 1:20 -

Eph 6:12 For our struggle is not against flesh and blood, but against the rulers, against the authorities, against the powers of this dark world and against the spiritual forces of evil in the heavenly realms.

Eph1:19 and his incomparably great power for us who believe. That power is the same as the mighty strength 20 he exerted when he raised Christ from the dead and seated him at his right hand in the heavenly realms, 21 far above all rule and authority, power and dominion, and every name that is invoked, not only in the present age but also in the one to come.

So, heaven can mean the skies, the heavenly abode of God or even the the spiritual realms where the evil forces operate. I think reconciling heaven and earth could mean reconciling all that was in the domain of Satan both in the natural and spiritual realm.