Colossians 1:3-4

biblememorization

(Tim Ramey) #1

@Bible_Memorization_Group

Dearest Brothers and Sisters
My apologies as I have some unanswered emails from you as well as another post that I’ll mention. We have company and so am behind but wanted to get this post out and then respond to the posts from some of you.

I need to underscore something to you that I know at least applies to most of you now but for sure later.

We had a Bible study group a few years back of 12 of us who decided to memorize Romans 8, two verses/week. We came together weekly and recited our chosen version to each other. Each week less participated so by the middle of the chapter, all had dropped out but my wife and I. A year later, Nancy, my wife, and I decided to memorize Romans 12 with a staff of ours who really wanted to do it. Within 3 weeks, she dropped out so Nancy & I memorized it ourselves.

The point in all of this is that if you don’t have a set plan that is practically workable, you will fail. As I always say, good intentions are not enough. I’ve got two examples personally that agrees with this. Bible memorization has a workable plan that I routinely do and I keep moving successfully forward. Yet, I want to learn the Bisayan language so that when I return in April to the Philippines, I can get around. I don’t have a set plan so my learning is hot and cold and I am unsuccessfully moving forward. Two areas that I seek to learn - one working while the other is failing. Why? The difference is a routine and discipline that does not detract from my time as it fits into something that I already do. Please get a plan and if it isn’t working, adjust it so that it does. Having God’s Word in your mind and heart is one of the most eternal things that we can do on earth.

At the beginning of the post I referred to another one that I was finishing. I always refer folks to an old post when they have questions about our group so I am re-posting it with a different name and tweaked a bit.

Here are the verses for the week. Again, if you would like me to add a version, let me know and I will do so. Even if you memorize in one of these versions, I find it helpful to still read how the other versions compare to my version.

Colossians 1:3 We always thank God, the Father of our Lord Jesus Christ, when we pray for you,
Colossians 1:4 because we have heard of your faith in Christ Jesus and of the love you have for all God’s people (NIV)

Colossians 1:3 We always thank God, the Father of our Lord Jesus Christ, when we pray for you,
Colossians 1:4 since we heard of your faith in Christ Jesus and of the love that you have for all the saints, (ESV)

Colossians 1:3 We give thanks to the God and Father of our Lord Jesus Christ, praying always for you,
Colossians 1:4 since we heard of your faith in Christ Jesus and of your love for all the saints; (NKJV)

I sound like a love-bird but as I memorize, I find my heart praising God with a genuine love for you. To be memorizing together God’s precious Word is so special. May He meet you where you need His touch.

(Tim Ramey) #2

It’s really crazy when I respond to my own post but at church today, the verses ran through my mind and i thought of you! It’s as if I was writing this to you! Read (or memorize!) the verses thinking of me writing it to you.

(Tabitha Gallman) #3

For myself, it’s going a little slow, but I have Colossians 1 and the first line of 2 :persevere:
, but in the bright side, it’s more than I have retained in a long while.

(Darlene Medford) #4

I have the 1st 2 memorized - thanks for your post. Very encouraging. I think being a part of a group will hold me faithful to my commitment. Thank you everyone involved and especially to Tim_Ramey.

(Tim Ramey) #5

@tabby68 @darlene

Tabitha, I’m just making sure that I’m understanding you correctly when I say that we have all week to get caught up to Colossians 1:1-4. You can do it. Don’t get discouraged because you started out 2 verses behind. Don’t get hard on yourself. Just get a routine where everyday, as you are walking, driving, sitting in the car etc, have the verses handy to review. It’s just 4 verses and you’ll pick it up soon. Please don’t be discouraged but think of tricks and times that you can memorize.

Bless your dear heart, sister!

And while I was replying to Tabitha, you popped up Darlene. Way to be committed. I meant what I said in my last post. It is so good to have His Word in our hearts. We waste so much of our thought life. To center it on the Lord is precious.

(Kyle Spencer) #6

I’m starting a little behind as I’m just jumping in with this group, but I’m confident I can catch up by the end of the week. I’ve always cognitively understood the value of scripture memorization, but have always faltered in my feeble attempts to do so. Traditionally when I’ve trained memorization I have done single verses, but I see great value in the memorization of entire chapters! I’m excited to be on board with this group and see where God leads me in writing his Word more completely on my heart!

(Linda Nikitin) #7

Welcome Kyle!
SO HAPPY that you joined our group!

Blessings
Linnie

(Darlene Medford) #8

Welcome to the group:) It is wonderful to be part of a group of brothers and sisters working at memorizing Colossians.

(Tim Ramey) #9

Can you see why this is such a precious group? Darlene is there to cheer you on and Linnie displays her gift of hospitality while Kyle projects his encouraging, determined words. It is as I posted in my second one above where I thank God for you when I pray for you.

For example, Tabitha the Lord laid you on my heart this morning as I so respect your desire to memorize God’s word but are honest about the difficulty. I really prayed that our Lord will show you a way that works for you that is creative and would not work for the rest of us, bu it does for you.

At church yesterday, in prayer, worship and the sermon much of what I memorized enriched what otherwise could have been mere words.

I want you to know that I am praying that the Lord makes His Word real to you!

(Tabitha Gallman) #10

Thank you @Tim_Ramey for your encouragement. I am definitely grateful to be part of this group, and am glad to be here with sweet members like y’all. Welcome @darlene and @Linnie. I have posted verses 1-2 on my bathroom mirror and also above my kitchen sink, and I think I have those two memorized (albeit kind of a slow recital, lol).

I think a big reason I struggle with memorization is because I am a very stressful person with chronic high blood pressure. I’m supposed to be taking my b.p. meds, but I don’t like how they make me feel being such a hyper type of person. I know that is no excuse and especially in light of your victorious life @Tim_Ramey. I had no idea you are paraplegic, so Wow, what an inspiration.

This memorization of scripture is a “God thing” because I should have been doing this so long ago. Honestly, it exercises my brain and like you said it’s “routine and discipline”, and I also like where you said, “Having God’s Word in your mind and heart is one of the most eternal things that we can do on earth.”

I am currently unemployed, so I have no other excuse. :grinning:

(Tim Ramey) #11

Tabitha, what a heartening post this was. Bless you! I do pray that the memorization will be part of the healing process for you.

I would have to say that I think because you are unemployed that it can make it more difficult as you have to be even more disciplined. That sounds like a contradiction but when we have a lot of time on our hands, we can always say, “I’e got plenty of time to get to it later.”

Thank you for your dear heart of Jesus that comes through your written words.

While I’m at it, can I put in a plug for any of you on @Bible_Memorization_Group to give me the info needed to put you on the map. I’m getting many requests for people wanting to view it and it is not indicative of the truth of the matter because many of you aren’t on it. I’m not trying to guilt you into it but if you have a moment, could you please send me the info? Thanks!

(Tim Ramey) #12

Dear Team

I’ve discovered somethings regarding the memorization map. Because many of you have asked for access, a few of you have entered information yourselves. I learned from Tabitha that you can enter a picture of you, your family etc so if you want to do so, just go on your pin and choose the picture icon and drag a photo on. I put one in of my wife and I after seeing that Tabitha had done so. To see a face really helps me pray for you as I can “see” you when I pray.

I also noticed that someone from Kansas or Oklahoma has just put in a pin but no name or information.

I also noticed that Kyle, you added yourself in from Pueblo, CO. I went to collage in Alamosa and was part of the crosscountry team so went through Pueblo a lot.

If you prefer entering your own information on the map, that’s fine with me, but I don’t mind doing it otherwise. Maybe you could let us all know when you are in or we might miss you. But if you don’t know how to do it, please let me do it. Thanks!

(Kyle Spencer) #13

What years were you at Adams State? One of my fellow teachers ran at Adams–T.J. Blackhurst.

(Tim Ramey) #14

Kyle, I ran in '69 through '72 - way before TJ’s time, I’m sure!

(Tim Ramey) #15

I want to remind you that getting to this site is now under “Christian Growth” instead of Daily Evangelism. I couldn’t find it right away.

Please keep praying for each other. We are technically not a prayer group but feel the freedom to bring up obstacles that would impact your memorization. But I am concerned for you and would feel it a privilege to pray for you.

Our group has it’s share of Epaphroditus with his illness or Euodia & Syntyche struggles. Please pray and feel free to share anything needing prayer - anything as I feel church is the setting for physical ailments but not emotional. Again, I’m here to keep us memorizing but in doing so, I care much for each of you.

(Jason Walker) #16

We need to be a prayer group technically or otherwise @Bible_Memorization_Group. The times are urgent and the enemy is hunting us and ready to pounce. We need to be a prayer :pray:t6: group constantly praying for each other.

(David Cieszynski) #17

Hi Everyone,

Sorry for not being in contact recently being tackling my inner dark thoughts, issues with my college course and there’s general life to be getting on with.

I think prayer requests should form part of our posts, but we need to remember that there is a specific Prayer Group / Sub-Section as part of the Connect Site and I’m wary of unintentionally diluting / causing a crack in that particular community by forming our ‘off-shoot’ prayer group.

If you don’t mind keeping me in your prayers over the next seven days it will be appreciated, please pray for:-

1. My wife is going away for a long weekend with her friend, but in my mind I keep thinking she’s hooking back up with the man she had an affair with 2.5 years ago. I’ve always said forgiveness was the easy part but I struggle to trust. (I struggle to trust people) But in any relationship trust is key.

2. I failed one of my New Testament assignments with one of the comments being very hurtful and distressing. I appealed the mark as their reasoning was in my opinion suspect, and requested the comment be retracted as it was baseless. Both of which were rejected. (I’ve still passed the module which is why they didn’t re-evaluate the mark). But I’ve had a number of people including my incumbent read my assignment all of whom have found no reason for failing it, and how they came to the conclusion of the comment.

3. I’m preaching this coming service where the congregation are very grounded in their faith so no pressure but my two children will be there unsupervised.

Sorry for the negative post.

(Darlene Medford) #18

To David Jason and everyone in our group,

I will definitely add these concerns to my prayer time.

Please pray for my 4 children. I am not sure of their salvation even though they have all been raised in church. I see no real evidence in their lives of a relationship with Jesus. I truly appreciate your prayers for all of my family.

Darlene

(Tim Ramey) #19

Dear Jason, David and Darlene
I will be in prayer for you. I think it is great to be able to pray together for our team.

I have 7 children and two of them have pulled away from Jesus. And our 22 grandchildren keep Nancy & I very busy with prayer. She and I pray together for an extended amount of time almost every morning. I will tell her about you 3 as she & I pray for another in the group as well.

(Tim Ramey) #20

To pray for each other is not adding another thing to our plate but it is indicative of our 4th verse where we are thankful for each other’s faith in Jesus and because of the love we have for each other. This is not a superficial love. Prayer is hard work.