Colossians 1:7-8

biblememorization

(Tim Ramey) #1

@Bible_Memorization_Group

Dear Fellow Servants
When I post I don’t intend to teach but I thought I’d mention something that might interest you. In verse 7 there is a Greek word “sundoulos”. I was aware that “doulos” means slave or servant but the compound word with “sun” as its preface means that it is a fellow-servant. The fellow servant doesn’t mean I’m a servant and so are you except in the sense that we have the same master or lord. So our Lord is Jesus and we are sundoulos, or fellow servants to Him.

One other tidbit brought up by one of you in days past is that Epaphras is probably a contraction of our friend Epaphroditus, who we became acquainted with when we memorized Philippians.

There are 45 of us in the memorization group. If you care to see who is all involved, just click on the @Bible_… above and it list everyone. Also, if you care to be included on our Google map, please send me your full name and city, state and country that you are from. If you’d like to see the map, go to: https://drive.google.com/open?id=12npP11ry5AlTxn9N64Ips16g1HG2Ph8Y&usp=sharing and it will send you to me to OK your inclusion since Google treats it as my map.

Also, I had brought up praying for each other and there was discussion over that last week. You might want to read it. I finally concluded that we could possibly include it with this thread by making a distinction. In other words, our posts will deal with memorization, comments about these or past verses etc. (By the way, please don’t feel like you can’t offer a comment on say, verse 2, because we are not on that one. Many times light comes to us after we really know the verses well.) But if we have a prayer need, update etc, could we do it in the following way:

Prayer: and then state the need or update. That way, it won’t be taking on another thing but will allow us to pray for each other if we want to do that. This way it will be left to each of us to post a prayer request rather than leaving it to me to do so. If I’m not clear, please let me know. I offered this as a solution and the silence, apart from Donna’s later reply, I took as agreement. But let me know if I’m off my rocker.

Brothers & Sisters, I just had another thought on this but rather complicating the issue, I’ll post it on another day. On with the verses for the week:

Colossians 1:7 You learned it from Epaphras, our dear fellow servant, who is a faithful minister of Christ on our behalf,
Colossians 1:8 and who also told us of your love in the Spirit. (NIV)

Colossians 1: 7 just as you learned it from Epaphras our beloved fellow servant. He is a faithful minister of Christ on your behalf
Colossians 1:8 and has made known to us your love in the Spirit. (ESV)

Colossians 1:7 as you also learned from Epaphras, our dear fellow servant, who is a faithful minister of Christ on your behalf
Colossians 1: 8 who also declared to us your love in the Spirit. (NKJV)

Don’t get discouraged if your memorization is rocky. It’ll come. I think that we are graced by some of the verses for the week, like this week where both verses are the equivalent, in length, to one verse last week.

(Tim Ramey) #2

Dear Gang
I ended the post above regarding prayer. Not to prolong the discussion but what I wonder about adding to what I wrote above which incorporates more of what Kelly and Donna added. That is, should we try to post prayer requests on Sunday or Monday so they are not all over the place? I don’t mean that in a legalistic way but rather so, for the most part, prayer for each others needs would be easy to refer to? So it may be that on those days, you don’t have a memorization aspect to post other than prayer request. Then, at first glance seeing Prayer: , one could skip it if they did not want to add prayer in addition to memorization. I’m not trying to string out this conversation but would that work? I think it critical not to post something for prayer with no follow-up because it’s hard to know what happened down the road. Anyway, I’ll begin:

**Prayer:**Nancy & I have 7 children. They are all out of the home. A son Jonathan and our youngest daughter Kara, both live out in the LA area although they seldom see each other. They are also our only 2 that are not married. They would say they are Christian but they are cynical and disinterested in the Lord. Jonathan fees that he would be whatever religion that he was brought up in. He doesn’t get the relational aspect of knowing Jesus.

Kelly, who posted about her two daughters who walked away from the Lord, and I, both live in the Central Time Zone in the US. We both pray frequently for each other’s children but on Mondays at 2pm, CDT, we are going to “join” together in prayer for our children and focus just on them. Anyone who wants to join us, please adjust your time zone accordingly so that we are all praying together at the same time. Let us know if you will pray each Monday at that time and who or what you need prayer for.

(Lakshmi Mehta) #3

Thanks for sharing those prayer requests. I can commit to praying on Mondays at 2.00 central time for the different needs. While having all prayer requests in one place is helpful, I am flexible with what works for everyone.

(Kelly) #4

Prayer: Tim and Lakshmi, I am very excited to join you in prayer today!

As for the verses this week, I don’t have any spiritual insight, but was sure glad to see that they were short! lol I had to really work at the previous week’s verses for some reason. I don’t know if it was the odd wording or what, :woman_shrugging: but perseverance prevailed!! Blessings to all ~

(Jason Walker) #5

Jason here. Eastern time. I can commit to anytime Monday from 5pm EST to midnight.

I need prayer for my marriage. I need prayer that my wife will come to JESUS CHRIST and see HIM as her saviour. We are currently separated, she is also in another relationship. Please pray for my 2 stepdaughters for them to know and come to CHRIST. I pray for my 2 children to continually stay knowing CHRIST and loving CHRIST. I pray I can get a good paying job close to my family so that I can truly be Priest, provider & protector as GOD wills for my family. I pray for reunification of my family. @Bible_Memorization_Group.

As for prayer structure I am open to whatever you guys decide, more opportunities to pray I always look forward to.

Also A car hit into the back of my car this weekend. I feel ok just a bit sore. I pray nothing health wise is a problem in the future and that their insurance company fixing my car will be a smooth process. Thank you

Jason

(Donna Perry) #6

Jason man of God. My heart is heavy
for
your dear wife and I was on my knees for her after reading your
request to pray for her. May our gracious God who would have no
one
perish, see the sacrifice of His Son when He looks at your wife. I
think of Hosea, a picture of God loving and going after His
people.
So Jason, you be a godly Hosea, keep loving your wife and
children.
I’m praying our faithful God will trouble your wife in her heart
and
spirit with the decisions she is making and lead her out of her
‘Egypt’ and back to you and her family. May her eyes see and
her ears hear all that will cause her to turn and be saved. Then
your
children and many will see God is mighty to save and He will be
glorified in the restoration of your family’s walk with Jesus and
your marriage. I also ask in the name of Jesus to provide in and
through you what your family needs and that He will keep you
strong in faith by the Spirit of God. In the victorious name of
Jesus may God claim that which He made for Himself.

And now Jason, I'm off to get a quote

on my car. Because like you I was also rear ended on Saturday -
while taking one of my
grandchildren to Toys R Us.

I am willing to faithfully pray for

your
wife and family. Whatever day works for those in our Bible
Memorization Group to pray together I will be available.

God's grace cover us all.

Donna

(Tim Ramey) #7

Dear BELOVED Fellow Servants
When I made the initial post for this thread, I omitted a key word in the verse because I was explaining sundoulos. But I forgot the “beloved” part. Paul sure had a tender heart for the church and that’s why I thought, as we memorize with each other and comment on the Scriptures, that we would want to pray for each other because your tenderness is evident even in the following posts.

Kelly, I’m wit you in regard to last week’s verses. Verse 6 just seemed disjointed to me. It is beginning to smooth out but needs a little work.

**Prayer:**So far posted for prayer this week are two of my children, Jason’s “you’ve got to read it to believe it” requests above, and Kelly’s two daughters.

I’ve got to hit the closet shortly but Lakshmi - anything? Donna? Keep in mind prayer requests are not relegated to end today but as Lakshmi said, It’s helpful if they are all in one place." Lakshmi and Donna, I’m not intending to single you out, but thanks for being here. Gee, I’m so amazed just in this relatively small group the wonder of Christ’s body. I’m really humbled. That I serve Jesus doesn’t seem like it’s the true picture because I cannot out-give Him!

(Jason Walker) #8

Thank you Donna. I will be praying for you as well

(Tim Ramey) #9

Agape love appears 3 times in Colossians 1. We have in this week’s verses and we had it the 2nd week we began Colossians. What is agape love?

“ἀγάπη Agape love is selfless, sacrificial, unconditional love . It is the highest of the four types of love in the Bible. This Greek word, agápē, and variations of it are frequently found throughout the New Testament. Agape perfectly describes the kind of love Jesus Christ has for his Father and for his followers. It involves God doing what He knows is best for man and not necessarily what man desires. For example, Joh_3:16 states, “For God so loved [ēgápēsen] the world, that he gave.” What did He give? Not what man wanted, but what God knew man needed, i.e., His Son to bring forgiveness to man.”

This week, Paul learns of the Colossians love (agape) in the Spirit? If this is this selfless, sacrificial love in the Spirit, can agape love be performed without the Holy Spirit in our lives?

(Jason Walker) #10

No it cannot. We are naturally selfish, we need the HOLY SPIRIT to consistently exhibit Agape love.

(Darlene Medford) #11

I know without the Holy Spirit - it becomes all about me. No agape. Very selfish. - I don’t even pray about the right things.

(Tim Ramey) #12

Sometimes I wish that I could give MORE than 1 heart under “likes.” Darlene and Jason -AMEN. However, can anyone else besides believers perform agape love apart from the Spirit? We are selfish critters but can it be done because we were made in the image of God? Mine is a real question that I’d love to hear feedback on as the world sure seems to do some selfless acts. Or are they?

(Tabitha Gallman) #13

That is a tough question. My mind went straight to the verse in Romans 3:10 - “As it is written There is no one righteous, not even one”

But Im not sure that speaks about showing Agape love? Hmmm, may take more thought after some sleep.

(Tim Ramey) #14

Thanks Tabitha. Get some good sleep! Seriously, to all of you, it is so good to realize that the agape Spirit chooses to abide in everyone of us.

I do want to thank you Jesus for choosing to live in us. You were born in a lowly barn and now choose to live in these lowly bodies that you promise us will be changed like your glorious body. Thank you for choosing the lowly of this world - us. Thank you that even now, we live so that the death of Jesus might live in us so that the Life of Jesus may be seen through us to the world. We so love you Jesus. For the moment, all discipline seems painful rather than pleasant but later it will produce the peaceful fruit of righteousness to those who have been trained by it. What a miracle that we each know You. Thank you that nothing besides our own selfish will, can ever keep us apart from You forever and ever. All praise to you Lord God!

(Lakshmi Mehta) #15

@Tim_Ramey, I love the question you have posted.

However, can anyone else besides believers perform agape love apart from the Spirit? We are selfish critters but can it be done because we were made in the image of God? Mine is a real question that I’d love to hear feedback on as the world sure seems to do some selfless acts. Or are they?

I know I have been loved sacrificially even by people who did not believe in Christ. So I have wondered the source of that kind love. It may be out of the knowledge that it is the right thing to do. I think in the absence of the knowledge of God’s grace, our hearts will at some point run out of love. Jesus provided grace. To love, we need love or it may lead to pride when we are always the one giving. Also love is based on truth - it’s about helping a person to grow in truth. Only Jesus is truth we know as bible believers. Christians like non-christians are able to love only to the extent they understand the grace, love and truth of Christ. There is no room for pride for a Christian to feel he can love better because when we love in Agape love, we give God the glory.

I like how Tim Keller’s quote below brings about the relationship between grace, love and truth.

“Truth without love ruins the oneness, and love without truth gives the illusion of unity but actually stops the journey and the growth. The solution is grace. The experience of Jesus’ grace makes it possible to practice the two most important skills in marriage: forgiveness and repentance. Only if we are very good at forgiving and very good at repenting can truth and love be kept together.”

We are so blessed in Christ!

(Donna Perry) #16

I want to join in prayer for our children. Please add my adult children Mitch(wife Mandy) and Sasha (husband Bill) for prayer. If you ask them, they will respond they are Christians. They both invited Jesus into their hearts when they were younger but daily life, work and raising kids seems to take too much time for a relationship with God and for sure they are not going to church. Maybe with your kids too, they see a great divide between Jesus and the church. Thank you for prayers and please tell me if we are all praying on a specific day and within our time zones.
For the life of our kids
Donna

(Donna Perry) #17

I don’t believe a person who has not been born again can love with agape love. We are all made in the image of God but that image is fallen or corrupted until we are redeemed through Christ. I’m not sure where in the gospels but Jesus did say even the sinners love each other and I have seen deep love from unsaved people - for each other. But Jesus called us to go beyond that love and love our enemies. I believe that takes agape love and that’s the Holy Spirit’s love in us.
Donna
PS - and I’m glad to see Linnie and some of you memorizing so quickly, I’m just thankful to finally finish verse 6, but am pressing on.

(Linda Nikitin) #18

Friday, March 8, 2019
Dear Donna,
SO PROUD OF YOU that you can say Colossians 1:1-6.
Ask The Lord Jesus to put the words of Colossians into your mind and to make them come out your mouth for His Honor and Glory and for His Kingdom and He Will. Ask The Lord Jesus to take control of your mind, and your mouth and He Will. Then, Trust Him. He Loves You SO MUCH!

Blessings
Linnie

(Tim Ramey) #19

I am backlogged on responses.

For one, thank you all who responded to my question on agape love.

Lashmi, I think your quote really helped me as our grandson at West Point is going to Normandy today. I think of all those men who knew they were to die but for the selfless love of their country and fellow man, they selflessly gave their lives. Your quote settles that for me. Thanks so much!

While biking today, verse 2 from a few weeks back suddenly dawned on me. Kelly, I think you made a comment on it that I didn’t get until today because I had a wrong concept. Paul greets the saints and faithful brethren at Colossae. My mind couldn’t figure out why saints wouldn’t be faithful brethren and why faithful brethren wouldn’t be included with the saints. Then, dah, I got it. I thought that Paul was greeting 2 different groups: the saints as well as the faithful brethren. Then it dawned on me that they were the same. It’s as if I sent greetings to my wife and faithful follower of Jesus which is Nancy rather than 2 different people. So then Kelly’s remark made sense to me. Talk about slow!!!

Donna, thanks for your request. I have a question. Kelly made note of praying for your children and husband. I took it that Bill is Sasha’s husband, not yours. So I saw it as Mitch & Mandy, Sasha & Bill, with Mitch and Sasha your children. Want to set us straight?

Also, I have an idea that I wanted to run by you regarding prayer. How would it be if all of you messaged me or emailed me at [email protected] before Wednesday. Then on Wednesday I would post the prayer requests. I’m happy for someone else to be the contact person but I thought that it’d be easier to refer to the Wednesday post for the prayer needs for our group. If something comes up that we need to get on right away, we can still post it as we have been doing. It’d accomplish two things. One, it’d be all together, except for the occasional emergency post and it would allow those not interested in the prayer aspect of this group to not have prayer requests poking about here and there. If there is something that you would want all of Connect to be alerted to for prayer, that would still be posted on the “Prayer & Updates” thread.

What do you think of this idea and I’ll do it but it doesn’t have to be me if someone would like doing it. Your feedback is needed!

(Lakshmi Mehta) #20

@Tim_Ramey, so glad that helped and I am thankful for people who have sacrificially served the country. Sending prayer requests by email sounds good to me.