Colossians 1:9-10

biblememorization

(Tim Ramey) #1

@Bible_Memorization_Group

Dearest Beloved Saints & Fellow Servants

It is unfortunate that I have such a big mouth and know that longer posts are not often read. But if I commented and questioned every time I had the urge, the post would be a book. Forgive me but there are a few items between last week’s and this weeks verses that I’d just burst if I couldn’t get it out.

1.In verse 8 we learned that Epaphras has spread the word about the Colossians love in the Spirit. I so much appreciated the comments on agape love. There is a completeness when we hear from many. The separate point that I wanted to bring up here is that often I feel squeamish to say “I love you” because it sounds lovey-dovey and I am a married man and there are women in the group. But I want you women to know, even when I message you individually, and I tell you that I do love you, Paul has put it perfectly when he says that we love in the Spirit. That is what I mean - a genuine pure love but it is not just talk but truly meant. Thanks Paul!

1. In verse 9, Paul says something that has bothered me and that is he prays for people unceasingly. How can that be? As I biked along today, I felt that he was saying that he never gave up on praying for them. That it was not a ceaseless flow of words but that it was sustained prayer. One of you knows of my struggle with prayer lately - that it’s not effective but that is also what Paul prays - that they would be filled with the knowledge of His will!! How those words ministered to me!!! But I’m deviating, so much question to you is what is meant by praying for someone without ceasing?

2. Verse 10 speaks of increasing in the knowledge of God. We may live to be100, but continuing to know God never ends! (That’'s part of his ceaseless praying.) But my question is prior to those words, Paul is still telling of what he is praying for them and he mentions that he prays that they will lead a life worthy of the Lord. How can we ever be worthy?

Sorry - but I’m not truly I guess or I wouldn’t have been so mouthy. Anyway, here is what we have this week. We all have favorites but these verses were like food to my soul:

Colossians 1:9 For this reason, since the day we heard about you, we have not stopped praying for you. We continually ask God to fill you with the knowledge of his will through all the wisdom and understanding that the Spirit gives,
Colossians 1:10 so that you may live a life worthy of the Lord and please him in every way: bearing fruit in every good work, growing in the knowledge of God, (NIV)

Colossians 1:9 And so, from the day we heard, we have not ceased to pray for you, asking that you may be filled with the knowledge of his will in all spiritual wisdom and understanding,
Colossians 1:10 so as to walk in a manner worthy of the Lord, fully pleasing to him: bearing fruit in every good work and increasing in the knowledge of God; (ESV)

Colossians 1:9 For this reason we also, since the day we heard it, do not cease to pray for you, and to ask that you may be filled with the knowledge of His will in all wisdom and spiritual understanding;
Colossians 1:10 that you may walk worthy of the Lord, fully pleasing Him, being fruitful in every good work and increasing in the knowledge of God; (NKJV)

I have not received a lot of response to my idea of posting the prayer requests. If you message me or email me at [email protected], I will put all of the requests together and post them on Wednesday. Obviously, you can post your own at any time but I’m trying to be sensitive to those who don’t want to wade through prayer requests as well as to those who want to take it seriously but can’t find them all. I will do this weekly but need your updates on the given items as well as new items. I take prayer so seriously and important as, even we see it this week in our memory verses that Scripture and prayer seem to go together. Would all of you mind starting over again and send them to me so I won’t be accidentally neglecting someone’s prayer request? Let’s be a team that prays together that the prayer list always shrinks. Again, don’t feel obligated but we only want those who want to. Personally, I feel so privileged to pray for you!

Thank you Jesus for bringing us together! Lord, we would have never dreamed that we would be talking with those of us whom You have put together. How gracious You are. Thank you for the 48 miracles here. 48 selfish, hard-hearted people that turn their lives over to you so that You are their Lord. That’s more of a miracle than raising a body from the dead. We owe it all to you, precious Savior. We do love you with all of our hearts and thank you that in the days ahead, that capacity to love you more will only grow! Lead us as one Body in You. We ask this in Your precious Name wonderful Savior and Friend!

(David Cieszynski) #2

Thanks Tim for the post an enjoyable read.

Life at home is going well which to me means God as always is answering prayers, my son seems to be going through a good spell.

I’m in the process of doing my last assignment on doctrine which is proving a challenge.

I feel the Lord is urging to get up earlier to spend time with Him and commit the day to him, the only problem being I’m more of night owl than a morning person. Prayers would be appreciated for me to get into a routine in the morning,

Blessing to all and remember God has plans for all of us.

(Darlene Medford) #3

Brother Tim,

Thanks for sharing your thoughts on our verses. Thank you so much for organizing our thoughts and prayer requests. AND, most of all for praying for us.

Just think of the love that Paul had for these fellow believers. I think the Spirit just flooded Him with love and care for these people that as often as they came to mind - he prayed. I, too, have some very precious friends that I pray for like that. And, as I am getting to know all of you - I pray for all of you too. What wonderful privilege to pray.

(Stephen Wuest) #4

Prayer is not a simplistic thing, in the Bible. God requires active faith from us, and this includes living out acts of righteousness (prayer fits into this category of righteous acts).

NIV Psalm 141:2 May my prayer be set before you like incense; may the lifting up of my hands be like the evening sacrifice.

NIV 1 Timothy 2:8 Therefore I want the men everywhere to pray, lifting up holy hands without anger or disputing.

Prayers for all mankind, have always been part of the priestly service that God’s people is called to.

NIV James 5:16 Therefore confess your sins to each other and pray for each other so that you may be healed. The prayer of a righteous person is powerful and effective.

The reality that the Bible presents, is that God hears the prayers of the righteous. (This may go against the grain of some groups, who don’t believe that God can heal us deeply (Paul teaches the regeneration by the Holy Spirit, in Galatians), so that we can live out righteousness. And it also goes against the grain of groups that picture God as not giving human beings any part is the dynamic of forgiveness of sins.) In Ephesians Paul says that believers are God’s creation in Christ, for good works. Paul commands us to live out righteousness. And part of this lived out righteousness, is praying.

This is one of the problems with the “God does it all” theologies. They ignore Scripture that clearly states that righteous believers have a very active part to play, in God’s plan.

NIV Ephesians 6:18 And pray in the Spirit on all occasions with all kinds of prayers and requests. With this in mind, be alert and always keep on praying for all the Lord’s people. (Eph 6:18 NIV)

This can be seen as part of the priestly duty of the people of God, to pray.
Note that there is no capitalization in the original New Testament. (“… in the Spirit” is an interpretation. The original is simply “in the spirit.”) The NT writers picture the mind as existing on the spiritual side of our being (not the physical). In the spirit, implies intellectual, mental involvement. The text probably points to something other than wordless yearnings, or the prayer of the Spirit of God that are too deep for words.

NIV 1 Peter 2:2 Like newborn babies, crave pure spiritual milk, so that by it you may grow up in your salvation, 3 now that you have tasted that the Lord is good. 4 As you come to him, the living Stone-- rejected by humans but chosen by God and precious to him-- 5 you also, like living stones, are being built into a spiritual house to be a holy priesthood, offering spiritual sacrifices acceptable to God through Jesus Christ. (1Pe 2:2 NIV)

Note that Peter is not talking about the Holy Spirit, here.

NIV 2 Thessalonians 1:4 Therefore, among God’s churches we boast about your perseverance and faith in all the persecutions and trials you are enduring. 5 All this is evidence that God’s judgment is right, and as a result you will be counted worthy of the kingdom of God, for which you are suffering. (2Th 1:4 NIV)

Being worthy of the kingdom of God, is another topic that some Christians look away from. The goal of God is not to (just) forgive our sins, but to make us into a cohesive people, of godly character. This involves a positive transformation, to live out righteousness. And this righteousness is most clearly seen, when God’s people live in situations of persecution and mockery, in the world.

NIV Ephesians 5:8 For you were once darkness, but now you are light in the Lord. Live as children of light 9 (for the fruit of the light consists in all goodness, righteousness and truth) 10 and find out what pleases the Lord. (Eph 5:8 NIV)

(“find out” is poor — the Greek says test or prove what is pleasing to God.)

Paul pesents an amazing transformation in Ephesians. God calls us, we have access to forgiveness of sins, we are now God’s creation in Christ, for good works, that God prepared beforehand that we should live them out (2.10).

NIV Ephesians 4:1 As a prisoner for the Lord, then, I urge you to live a life worthy of the calling you have received.

NIV Ephesians 4:23 to be made new in the attitude of your minds; 24 and to put on the new self, created to be like God in true righteousness and holiness. (Eph 4:23 NIV)

The whole end of Ephesians, is how we are to avoid living out evil acts, but are to live out acts of righteousness, in order to be the “body of Christ” on earth. This living out of righteousness has our free will in the middle (we have to choose to do the right thing), and we have to live out this righteousness in order to be worthy of the calling.

Paul is very explicit, about ways in which we are to live out righteousness. And this is a very different topic than the forgiveness of sin.

These are some initial thoughts that I have, about your comment.

(Darlene Medford) #5

Please forgive me if I made praying seem simplistic - it is incredibly hard to pray at times and a lot like work. But, I do believe Our Father hears us as we make our request made known to Him and I am certain even little children are capable of touching the heart of God with their prayers.

I am grateful that my heart is tender toward my brothers and sisters and I am drawn to pray for them and I consider it a privilege. It is my simply request to Jesus and He takes it from there.

1 Thessalonians 5:17 (KJV) - Pray without ceasing.

(Lakshmi Mehta) #6

@darlene, appreciate your prayers so very much and your longing to pray for others. I like what you say - “I am grateful that my heart is tender toward my brothers and sisters and I am drawn to pray for them and I consider it a privilege”. It has been my fear and prayer that I don’t get hardened when praying for others, especially when there is continued resistance. To pray fervently in love when met with hostility is indeed a deep work of decreasing self and resting in the Holy Spirit because of the hope and joy promised in Christ. That’s just as we memorized in Col 1:3-5!

(Tim Ramey) #7

Darlene, I emailed you already but there is another point here that I wish to make. Prayer is hard work but I tend to make it harder than it needs to be because ultimately, the work is the Lord’s. I can pray fervent, long prayers and Jesus isn’t impressed. He wants our prayers that we sometimes have no words for. You have precious and dear heart towards Jesus and I believe that is what matters.

Lakshmi - way to go! See how timely what we memorized is? Again, I wish that I could have “double liked” these posts! I’m SO grateful that I am on the same team with you two!

Also Darlene, realize that it is good that not everyone agrees. It would be boring to be part of a group where everyone says only what we already know and believe. Take heart Sister as I am heartened by you humble spirit.

I’ll post the prayer items in a bit.

(Tim Ramey) #8

Here is the start of something new - posting prayer requests. Before I do, can I mention a couple of things about memorization? When you get onto something, you think the whole world should be doing it but with memorization, I really feel that it should be encouraged more. It has truly revolutionized my life and it’s not just me - I know it will for each of you if you just do it.

Last night, I read a book that one can get from Amazon Prime free and it is called, “How to Memorize the Bible Fast ans Easy.” It was good to go over and I liked his emphasis on why memorizing is needed but I didn’t dot every one of his "I"s. I began Janet Pope’s book - the woman Linne knows, on memorization and it is very good. I agree with most of her points. It would be helpful for you to read it as I am no expert on it and my style does vary a little. So you may find tips that is just the right thing for you. Also, I so appreciate that she felt that most of the verses that we have on our refrigerators are “me” verses - what the Lord promises me. In memorization, I’ve been most ministered to by verses that I may not completely even get, but then it hits me and it usually as to how I can bring glory to the Lord. That’s my aim. I want to say so much more but you’ve already trudged through enough of my long posts!

PRAY: Getting onto to prayer, I want to remind all of you that Kelly, Lakshmi and I pray for our children (or other needs as they arise) at 2pm Central Time. I love it knowing that, as I literally am in my closet, I am praying with these sisters. Both times have been so good. As time as gone on I’ve gone longer each time. I think that we said that we would pray for at least a half hour but I find it such a good time and I am able to, so I go longer. Let us know if you are able to do so at that time as it is so wonderful to be praying together.

Here are the requests that were sent to me or I was aware of. So that I do not overlook someone, please be diligent about notifying me or the list will stay the same next Wednesday - literally. With an update, change or addition - please either message or email me.

-Donna: Please add my adult children Mitch(wife Mandy) and Sasha (husband Bill) for prayer. If you ask them, they will respond they are Christians. They both invited Jesus into their hearts when they were younger but daily life, work and raising kids seems to take too much time for a relationship with God and for sure they are not going to church.

-**Kelly:**Pray for her daughters Autumn and Lauren. They have turned from the Lord and that the good influences that come into their lives seem to never stick, but the unrighteous seem to grow. Prayers for their salvation and laborers to teach and encourage.

-Darlene: My kids are: Olivia (23), Ryan (19), Wesley (16) and Riley (13). (A 3 year old picture of them are on our Google Map)

**-David:**I feel the Lord is urging me to get up earlier to spend time with Him and commit the day to him, the only problem being I’m more of night owl than a morning person. Prayers would be appreciated for me to get into a routine in the morning,

-Jason: Need prayer for my marriage. I need prayer that my wife will come to JESUS CHRIST and see HIM as her saviour. We are currently separated, she is also in another relationship. Please pray for my 2 stepdaughters for them to know and come to CHRIST. I pray for my 2 children to continually stay knowing CHRIST and loving CHRIST. I pray I can get a good paying job close to my family so that I can truly be Priest, provider & protector as GOD wills for my family. I pray for reunification of my family.

-Tim:-Jonathan (30) and Kara (24) will return to Jesus. They would say that they are Christians but are cynical about Jesus and show no desire to know Him.
-Our 35th Naniboujou Missions Conference at our lodge. This Friday through Sunday. Nickolay Revtov from Russia is our speaker. Time of much prayer and encouraging us into Jesus. Please pray that Nickolay will be refreshed and encouraged by his time with us. There’s about 100 inn attendance.
-I struggle with chronic fatigue. I bike and try to stay active but always feel tired. I do have neck pain constanlly from my paralyzing accident 20 years ago which I think is a huge factor.

Lord Jesus, I praise you that you are just that - our lord who could be mean-spirited but rather, You choose to love us. I thank you for this communion of saints. I am so humbled and honored to be able to say that I am with them in our endeavor to memorize your Word and to follow through with your command to pray for each other. It is not work to pray for these ones that I love because I really want all that you have for them. Keep us together in You. May the enemy kept out of our lives so we can join one another in loving you and each other. All of this - every breath that we take - is for your glory. We love you the best that we know how. Use your Words in our hearts to have that capacity increase. In fact, I am reminded that Your Words that we are memorizing this week speak of praying for the increase of our knowledge of You. All glory to You. In Your precious name and by your authority we pray Lord Jesus!

(Darlene Medford) #9

And all said - Amen.:slight_smile:

(Donna Perry) #10

Tim, you are such an encouragement to me in the Lord. You have shown victory in Jesus. Thank you for using and sharing your trial of being paralyzed with us to look for how God will use us for His glory when there would seem no blessing or glory in our situations, circumstances or consequences. What a great God we have and may He continue to bless and grow many in faith through the ministry He has entrusted to you.
And thank you for writing out our prayer requests. I have cut and pasted for my prayer journal and will join our group in prayer. I’m on Mountain Time so will meet you in spirit at 1:00.
My son is ordering me the ‘How to Memorize the Bible Fast and Easy.’ Right now, I’m memorizing slow and with difficulty. Just finally got verses 1-8 memorized.
God bless you brothers and sisters in Christ, God’s holy people. I pray the Wellspring of life will grow in and through us, producing rich fruit for His glory.
Donna

(Tim Ramey) #11

Donna, you are more than gracious. Thank you. My Jesus has been so good too me. I’m sure appreciative for the fact that I get to be with you and all of the super individuals that the Lord has put together. I’m awed by the communion of saints. I mean that so very much.

I’m also grateful that you are joining Kelly, Lakshmi and me on Mondays. Is it just psychological but I feel that the prayer time is more powerful (don’t know if that is the right word) when we are praying together at the same time.

Keep plowing forward with memorization Donna. It is a matter of how much time we put into it. Some are quicker at it but I don’t think I would pass anybody!

Jesus is pouring His love down on you and that is not just a Christian saying. Aren’t we so fortunate to know Him?

I can’t thank you enough for your words of encouragement, Donna!
Tim