Colossians 1 Revisited Prayer

biblememorization
(Tim Ramey) #1

@Bible_Memorization_Group

This is the portion of each week’s memorization where we post prayer requests for the following week regardless if we had posted them previously. I am realizing that, with memorization being the impetus, we have more activity under this thread than we do under the memorization thread. I have so appreciated the hearts that have been laid bare here. You are such a precious group to be part of. Thanks!

Prayer
-I returned from the Philippines on Tuesday without jet lag and was cruising, knocking down my mound of work that piled up in 6 weeks. Then on Thursday, I felt achey and extremely tired, so against my norm, laid down in the afternoon. I slept for 36 hours, getting up this morning. I feel like I could go back to bed as I am achey and tired. Sure, it’s rainy and 45 degrees here but I cannot attribute the weather to such a drastic change. I just want to die. Please pray that I return to be the guy that was in the Philippines that looked 180 degrees different.
-for two of my children, Jonathan and Kara to return to Jesus. Kara is coming home with her boyfriend this coming week.
-my wife Nancy, has balance issues. I came home and she walks like she’s drunk. It really went down hill while I was gone.
-for Rachel, my old Core Module buddy in Australia who is being divorced and needs to deal with angry daughters, especially Jade. That Rachel’s love for Jesus will not diminish but actually increase.

Praise
-Phil’s falling into Jesus’ arms
-Jun’s near full recovery
-the blessed time that I had in the Philippines that is beyond description

3 Likes
(Carol Nagy) #2

@Bible_Memorization_Group – Please pray for the funeral service for Phil, that his family members would come. He was estranged from them when, publicly drunk and disorderly, he so embarrassed and humiliated them that they want nothing to do with him, even now. We think the funeral will be tomorrow (Sunday) afternoon, but may be today. We are trying to be flexible to work around their work schedules. They are not even willing to take a day off for a father’s/husband’s/father-in-law’s funeral. Yet it was one of Phil’s greatest desires that the members of his estranged family come to know Jesus. I’m sure most of you live this heartfelt desire. Thanks for prayer support in the past: it has done wonders.

5 Likes
(Sieglinde) #3

Tim, welcome home. I’m sad to hear you are not feeling well. Your body must be exhausted and needs all the rest you are getting.
Is it Vertigo your wife is experiencing? Seems like you have a lot going on and yet you still manage to spur us on. I sure need to discipline myself in memorization. Thank you :heart:
I was happy to see the praise report :slightly_smiling_face:
I will remember you all in my prayers🙏🏼

4 Likes
(Sieglinde) #4

Praying now :pray:t3:

3 Likes
(Tim Ramey) #5

Do you realize that when I was in the Philippines and sickness and death kept bouncing off the walls, Jesus used this group to bring my heart such peace. I know that you are pray-ers and they are not very common or reliable - even in churches. I knew you guys would be on it. You were my “go to” group. I’m so grateful that the Lord brought us together.

Carol, please give us an update when the funeral is through. In the meantime, let’s join together to pray that Phil’s estranged family will come to know Jesus when they realize how Jesus took Phil from his drunken ordeal and turned him into a man of God.

5 Likes
(Tim Ramey) #6

Prayer Update
Thank you for praying for me as I feel horrible and it is getting worse. Thus, I went to the doctor and discovered that I have strep throat and pneumonia. I was given some meds but probably won’t feel them kick in for a few days. I’m glad to find out what was wrong. Thank you for praying.

See you at 2 tomorrow!

4 Likes
(Kelly) #7

Prayer Requests ~

• Wisdom for myself and faith to persevere
  • Truth to follow my daughters - return to God with their whole heart
    Thank you so much.
2 Likes
(Lakshmi Mehta) #8

Welcome back @Tim_Ramey! Glad you figured out what was wrong and getting the necessary treatment. Will be praying for complete recovery both from the sickness and the exhaustion from the trip.

@kelelek, I read this verse last night and brought much comfort to me. God understands us and our love for our children.

Isaiah 49 NKJV

15 “Can a woman forget her nursing child
And not have compassion on the son of her womb?
Surely they may forget,
Yet I will not forget you.
16 See, I have inscribed you on the palms of My hands;
Your walls are continually before Me.

My prayer requests

• Salvation for family members - parents, in-laws, siblings
  • As I prepare to see my family in India this summer please pray for God’s guidance and for me to grow in love in the Spirit as we read in Colossians.
  • For schooling decisions and for a deep love for God and His word for our kids Amit and Nithin.

Thank you friends!

5 Likes
(Kelly) #9

Hi Lakshmi! Life can be very intense, so I really appreciate the scripture posting. It is a great reminder and very encouraging.

I pray God open many opportunities for you this summer with your family. Blessings for Amit and Nithin to be mighty warriors of God!

Will be praying for all today. May He be glorified.

4 Likes
(Carol Nagy) #10

An update on the funeral: to my natural eyes it was very disappointing, since only two family members attended, and I had two others I thought would be likely to benefit. Of course, through the eyes of faith, where we know our God is working even if we can’t see it, it was a wonderful sharing of faith. Our pastor spoke on the real love of God and how he is able to save. At least his ex-wife and older son have had prime contact time with us, and they have contact information. Thank you for praying. I would like to give an account of the mighty working of God in this, but I know the stuff he has us do isn’t useless. Sometimes I have to repeat what I know: even if I see no results of the work I do, it is still worth me surrendering my life to him. I will see some of you later, when we join in prayer.

4 Likes
(Sieglinde) #11

Bless your heart. Take care of yourself!

1 Like
(Tim Ramey) #12

Sig, you have one of the most thoughtful, kindest hearts out there

3 Likes
(Darlene Medford) #13

Brother Tim -Hope you and your dear wife Nancy feel better - certainly no wonder you felt so bad.

Praying for Rachel - I have walked through the divorce and angry children - I am 8 years out - and my son who was so angry just brought lunch to me. :slight_smile: the healing is slow, but it happens. Tell Rachel to journal, read Psalms, listen to praise music, not to be hard on herself, and avoid being lonely. - I can say today Jesus is so good.

Continue to pray for my kids that they will let Jesus be part of their everyday lives - praying for you all.

4 Likes
(Tim Ramey) #14

Darlene, I am still feeling lousy but was told it will take some time. Nancy is not sick but has her crazy nephropathy and headaches.

How was prayer on Monday? I felt so focused. Still, why do these situations persist? I don’t mean that answer to prayer is popping all around us but shouldn’t we hear one week that Lakshmi’s sister has come to Jesus or that Lauren has humbled herself and is a changed daughter of Jesus (and Kelly!) or there is a revival taking place in this country and people are up at churches til 4 am and they don’t want to leave? What bothers me is I ask the Lord if I am praying wrong.

2 Likes
(Lakshmi Mehta) #15

Dear brother Tim, Yes indeed! we all ask that question often! " Still why do these situations persist? " There may be times when how we pray needs to change…dealing with unforgiveness, praying God’s will, praying scripture etc. In most cases though, it seems it is just about us waiting in faith in God’s goodness. It was in Isaiah 49 that I also read, in the time of salvation, God will help and answer our cry. God’s timing must have a purpose which we don’t understand.

One encouragement I have from just this prayer group alone is how Jun’s health recovered and how you returned home safely from your mission trip to the Philippines and taking the necessary treatment you need. These seem like few victories compared to the many unanswered prayers but those moments of victories can be a means of faith for the unanswered ones. In my own experience, I have seen God answer prayers when I have just about lost all my strength and given up. It usually has gotten worse before getting better. We will keep knocking God’s door until we know there is no need for it as He hears our prayers we know. Rev 8:4-5 gives us a visual of our prayers I think.

Rev 8:4 And the smoke of the incense, with the prayers of the saints, ascended before God from the angel’s hand. 5 Then the angel took the censer, filled it with fire from the altar, and threw it to the earth. And there were noises, thunderings, lightnings, and an earthquake.

Hope you feel your :100: percent soon! Thank you for spurring us on the bible memorization challenge! :slightly_smiling_face:

5 Likes
(Sieglinde) #16

That is an incredibly kind thing to say. I needed that encouragement. We are all praying that you are better soon! Just please rest :sleeping:

2 Likes
(Sieglinde) #17

Amen to that! Thank you :heart:

2 Likes
(Tim Ramey) #18

Dear Lakshmi
You are such a wise woman and everything you post I should store in my Lakshmi’s Words of Wisdom notebook. Thanks for your reminders as well. Not to refute them but Jun is not fully recovered and should have long ago. He just can’t lick it. Also, I made it home and I’m so grateful, but I am flagging too. Really weak and hoping the antibiotic kicks in soon for the strep and pneumonia.

However, I’m not complaining about health issues as much as salvation issues - your sister and parents and many of our children. You see Lakshmi, if Jesus were to walk into my house right now, I would have no doubt that I could mention to Him about our prayer group and the list grows and doesn’t shrink much and He would wipe he slate clean. Does that mean I’m asking wrong? After all, He doesn’t walk into my house but lives in my heart. Why is it not like I read in the Gospels whee the only difficulty there was was in his hometown of unbelief. know there are times needed of sustained prayer too.

I feel that either I need to stand corrected or to keep persevering when, as in the Philippines a war was hotly engaged, the enemy is trying to take some Christians who are serious about prayer and discourage them out of the picture too. I’ll keep going but I always hope I am not doing something to impede prayer.

Oh your Revelation verse is one of my favorites. He actually stores our prayers as incense. Thanks for always speaking up for the truth! Keep praying as He saves those prayers.

When I get to heaven, there will be a pint size jar with my prayers in and I’ll tell the Lord I think I had more prayer than that. He lovingly will tell me, " No, you think that you pray more than you actually do!" Let’s fill up those golden bowls of incense!

4 Likes
(Lakshmi Mehta) #19

@Tim_Ramey, Thank you so much for those very kind words and I hope I can live up to that!

So good to hear -

With all the hardship you have seen, I praise God for your perseverance and your availability before God. I don’t understand why it seems like God doesn’t answer in some cases but I think one day we will understand and be satisfied. Not an easy road to travel until then. For now until I am sure there is no hope, I take God at His word - when we ask for bread, He will not give us a stone. I too imagine that only when we get to heaven we will realize all our missed opportunities. :face_with_raised_eyebrow:Will be praying for complete recovery of health for you and Jun. Please keep us posted. God bless you!

4 Likes
(Tim Ramey) #20

@Bible_Memorization_Group

I have given a lot of thought to memorization/prayer. I’ll try my best to be succinct. (Right!)

In my life, memorization has expanded and accentuated the Word of God. Because of that, the needs, the cries, the poor, the lost, sin, obedience, praise, prayer - and the list goes on has erupted in my heart. All spiritual implications are huge.But prayer strikes me especially because it can impact all of the other areas. Yet, if we don’t pray, things carry on. Prayer is a very intriguing concept.

Prayer is mentioned hundreds of times in the Bible. Does it matter if it is only one person prays versus a boatload of people? In many ways, yes, it seems to. The prophets prayed for rebellious Israel, but it wasn’t enough. Abraham even “dickered” with God as to how many would it take to save Sodom. Yet I know that the prayer of a righteous man has great power. It’s as mysterious as the whole concept of prayer is.

Here in this group, we have 69 signed on. What would happen if we were all staying in the same complex and agreed to take an hour to pray everyday together? Maybe I’m wrong, but wouldn’t it seem as if some of our prayers we list every week would be impacted? Wouldn’t it be that our countries represented by the pray-ers would result in revivals? But if we dabble at it, won’t the results be the same?

I feel desperate, not untrusting but tired of limping along hoping things would change. When I first had a dream years ago that prompted the importance of prayer in me, I envisioned that as a church, we are a giant. We are huge and powerful warriors equipped to battle for the Lord. But if we are sleeping or act groggy, what difference does our muscle mass make.?

So I feel that the church is a sleeping giant. It is capable to accomplish all that the Lord has in mind but we sleep instead. This is not intended to be a punch at the church but it saddens me to realize that there is so much to be done. I feel that the other aspect of prayer is that it usually entails a call to action. Sometimes the Lord tells us what to do - to visit someone, write a note or ask for forgiveness. What He says is everything.

To pray is an invitation to become discouraged at times, but unless we pray, nothing will happen. Please consider making a concerted effort to pray.

8 Likes