Colossians 1 Revisited

biblememorization
(Tim Ramey) #1

@Bible_Memorization_Group

Dear Family
I’m glad that it was suggested that we have a pause in between the chapters as I cannot get Paul’s words down in verses in 27 & 28! I will be there when we begin Colossians 2.

I’m home form the Philippines. That 6 weeks was one of the most dynamic times of my life. It was extremely hard to leave. The trip home was arduous with many bumps which will make it very memorable. My suitcase is lost and still not found. Anyway, I’ll find memorizing easier in my routine.

A couple of things came to my mind that I’d like to address. First of all, any of you that have been sitting on the bleachers, now is your chance to dive in and learn Colossians 2. Most everyone who memorized Colossians 1 will tell you that they did not not think that they had it in them to do it. You can not only do it, you’ll be so thankful that you did. If actors can learn all of those meaningless lines, we can learn only 23 verses. It is life changing.

Secondly, I wanted to ask that you post a verse or some words from Colossians 1. Is there a verse that you still can’t comprehend or is there one that you can feast on the rest of your life? Your comments often cause us to sit up and take notice of something that we hadn’t seen before.

I’ll throw out part of two verses that have been special to me: “I became a minister according to the divine office which was given to me for you, to make the word of God fully known, the mystery hidden for ages and generations but now made manifest to his saints.” (From Col 1:25-26) I can’t have a week go by without posting Scripture.

Dear Precious Saints, this would not be the same for me if I memorized the exact same chapters that I did but did so on my own. Thanks for your fellowship. To hear from you is such an encouragement.

Be ready for chapter 2 next week! I’m preaching to me!!

8 Likes
(Carol Nagy) #2

I am struggling to catch up, since the last two weeks have been total chaos. I noticed yesterday while going through my brother Phil’s things that he had a New World translation of Scripture from before he committed himself to Jesus and was studying with the Jehovah’s Witnesses. Knowing their problem accepting the deity of Jesus, I went to Colossians 1, since this passage has got to be a problem for them. Verse 16 jumped out at me (even though I have not yet memorized it) since they added a word to Scripture to say that all OTHER things in heaven and on earth were created by him (Jesus). So even studying it over and over and not memorizing it was a big step in understanding this passage. Imagine what the Holy Spirit could do in my brain if I actually spent time and energy writing these verses in my brain!

4 Likes
(Tim Ramey) #3

Carol, you are so right. When it is in our hearts, there becomes a depth of understanding that we are not even aware of. Please permit to give you an example where it backfired.

While in the Philippines, I had to speak often and usually told me right before I was to give the message. But this year, the depth of my memorized chapter allowed me to speak freely on them because I’ve reviewed them over and over again and so had certainly mediated on it. It’s as if I was prepared to speak on the subject. However, what I realized towards the end of my time there was that I didn’t seem to be clicking with them as I had in years past. They expressed interest but it seemed to be going over their heads. Then it hit me…

Because I had spent so much time on the verses, as I presented something I felt that we were on a common ground but we weren’t. I spent weeks and months thinking of these chapters so when I gave a message, I thought that we were on the same page but we weren’t. They maybe haven’t even gotten the verses in their tongue yet so I was way ahead of them. Not because I’m so smart or scholarly but because they needed more basics than where I’d gone with the chapter. Because the Word resided so long in my heart, I saw things that I wouldn’t have seen before and I expected others to pick up where I was. It made me realize, that I need to be sensitive how I presented things but also what a powerful work the Lord did in my heart. I hope this makes sense.

4 Likes
(Kelly) #4

Tim,

Welcome back! I hope you have had a chance to catch up on sleep. I noticed on your other post that you said you weren’t feeling well. I pray you have a speedy recovery!

I’m struggling with the last couple of verses, so am very thankful we have a week to review.

Love your question about favorite verses! I never realized how memorizing and thinking on verses would have such a greater impact than just reading the scriptures. And, I’ve had several opportunities to use these verses to minister and encourage others. What a tremendous blessing!!

Two of my fav’s are:
11 … being strengthened with all power according to His glorious might, for all endurance and patience, with joy… Wow, that verse is so powerful for me. It’s not my power, it’s His. And with it I can endure all things with joy.

21-22 And you, who were once alienated and hostile in mind and doing evil deeds, He has now reconciled in His body of flesh by His death, in order to present you holy and blameless and above reproach before Him. Can you imagine… Because of what He has done, I go before Him Blameless, Holy, and Above Reproach. It’s hard to grasp!

Blessings to all. Love to hear how God has used this chapter in your lives!!

3 Likes
(Catherine Keffer) #5

@Tim_Ramey This makes a whole lot of sense. I am realizing the exact same thing lately. I was asked this morning to share a Word with my Sisters. We read and discussed Philippians 4:4-9.
Verse 6 encourages us not to be anxious about anything, to pray and present our requests and petitions to God. As I am talking about this to my Sisters I realize I am speaking very matter-of-factly about just trusting God. I have grown with the Lord to wholeheartedly trust Him. To believe His Word with everything in me and to walk in it. Holy Spirit reminded me that there was a time that I was completely unaware of the power and presence of God. I didn’t yet have the faith to believe that God would truly answer my prayers. There were times when I didn’t know how to wait for God to move and would try to do it my way, anyway, even if I knew I shouldn’t. Jesus’ ministry on earth…all the way to the cross and the grave was continually underlined by this: Go lower still. It’s not about how much revelation or knowledge or understanding I have individually, it’s about being in the likeness of Jesus, loving others so much, being so concerned about the destination of their souls that I truly die to self, being of no reputation. Relating to others in such a way that I may win some to Christ. In this ministry people come desperately looking for help…desiring to be free from addiction and the impoverished lifestyle, often they are not looking for God. We are just called to be examples, to set an atmosphere that invites the presence of the Lord to move in the lives of others. At the end of the day, I can only plant and water…I cannot make anything grow, only God can do that. Praise the Lord. Talk about preaching to myself!!! Hallelujah!!!

4 Likes
(Carol Nagy) #6

Wow, @Catherine. What an insight you’ve been given, and have given me and us. In the past two weeks as I feel as though I haven’t done enough, I look more closely and am awed at how Jesus is loving and encouraging through me and my brother and sisters. I can only plant and water, can’t make anything grow, but God is so powerful in making the truth real, only he can make people understand and grow. Thank you so much. Again, I am awed by how the word of God has worked in this group.

3 Likes
(Chang Su Song) #7

Hi Tim,

This is a great perspective! I can see that your having spent many months looking at the passage gave you perspectives that were deep and profound but in the listeners’ years, it may have been too deep or too profound. I am glad that this experience will enrich your future messages in the future! God bless you, brother!

4 Likes
(Tim Ramey) #8

@changsu.song @Catherine
Thanks for your replies. I never would have seen it like this if it hadn’t happened to me. It speaks of all that is going on with the Word of God in our hearts that we are not even aware of

2 Likes
(Catherine Keffer) #9

@Tim_Ramey I’ve been reflecting and meditating and praying on this. Just wanted to share with you a bit more. Oh how blessed is this life; it’s truly unfolding into a lifestyle of Colossians 1:25-27. It’s amazing to me how detailed and synchronous Our God is.

This morning during a teaching, my Spiritual Mother said “if God doesn’t make the Word that I am speaking come alive in you, then I am just talking.” I immediately thought of Paul reminding the Corinthians that only God can cause Life. We cannot make something come alive without the breath of God, the Holy Spirit.

1 Corinthians 3:4-9 (ESV)
“For when one says, ‘I follow Paul,’ and another, ‘I follow Apollos,’ are you not being merely human? What then is Apollos? What is Paul? Servants through whom you believed, as the Lord assigned to each. I planted, Apollos watered, but God gave the growth. So neither he who plants nor he who waters is anything, but only God who gives the growth. He who plants and he who waters are one, and each will receive his wages according to his labor. For we are God’s fellow workers. You are God’s field, God’s building.”

So now I’m praying for God’s presence to be with me always, that I am completely surrendered, Let it be the Christ in me and not me that prevails in every conversation and experience. Holy Spirit we need you…and Praise God, through all of this He gave me the following verse. He is so very Faithful!!!

Exodus 33:15-16 (NIV)
“Then Moses said to him, ‘If your Presence does not go with us, do not send us up from here. How will anyone know that you are pleased with me and with your people unless you go with us? What else will distinguish me and your people from all the other people on the face of the earth?’”

2 Likes
(Tim Ramey) #10

@Bible_Memorization_Group

As I reflect on all the ways the Lord has blessed this group, it reminds me of the fact that this was the only thread - the memorization thread - the new 2 verses/week thread. From it came about a parallel thread that incorporates prayer. It is wonderful to see that the prayer thread is actually more active. It is what I would think results from God’s Word - prayer. I’m so grateful for the two-fisted group. God’s Word in one hand and prayer in the other. These are 2 most important aspects of Christianity that I believe there is after the atoning work of Jesus.

Earlier in the week, I asked you to post your favorite verses that you’ve memorized. Could I ask you a related question but different? So besides asking what your favorite verses that you’ve memorized are, could you list ones that may go all the way back to Romans 8, but have impacted you the most?

As I memorize, I remember the chapter but I don’t memorize the verse numbers so, as in this case, I have to go back to Philippians 3 and find what verse number that I wish to post. The verse that has been absolutely life changing for me has been Phl 3:3, especially the last part that said that we put no confidence in the flesh. That verse comes to me daily because I see how that is what I did. When we think of the flesh, we think of carnal, lusty lives. No, I was using my flesh for the Kingdom but I put my trust in my flesh. Now that I am paralyzed, what good am I? Instead if I could use my body to do the dishes or help you pack up and move etc, my body got things done. My confidence was in my body, not the Creator of this body. I have not raised the question so I could blow all of this your direction, but I would be blessed to hear what verse or verses has changed you.

And be ready crew - on to Colossians 2 tomorrow!

1 Like