Colossians 2:13-14

@Bible_Memorization_Group

Dear Memorization Gang

How are you all doing? The dearth of input has me puzzled as to why there isn’t any. Is anyone trekking on with me?

I am traveling and was concerned about when I could post this and this was the only time I had until Monday so I wanted to get it out earlier than later so I am posting today, Friday, instead of Saturday.

Whenever I am out of town, I slip up slightly but I’ll get back on track this week. I have been most impressed with Colossians. It’s like seeing the chapter through new lenses. I hope that some of you have appreciated it as much as I have.

Here are this week’s treasures:

Colossians 2:13 And you, who were dead in your trespasses and the uncircumcision of your flesh, God made alive together with him, having forgiven us all our trespasses,
Colossians 2:14 by canceling the record of debt that stood against us with its legal demands. This he set aside, nailing it to the cross. (ESV)

Colossians 2:13 And you, being dead in your sins and the uncircumcision of your flesh, hath he quickened together
Colossians 2:14 14 Blotting out the handwriting of ordinances that was against us, which was contrary to us, and took it out of the way, nailing it to his cross; (KJV)

Just a reminder to value the time that you have and use it for the glory of our King.

3 Likes

I have to confess that I looked at this coming week’s verses as burdens rather than opportunity to study and ponder the word of God on a deeper level. Guilt over not memorizing the preceding portions or not memorizing securely pushes me away even more. I would be truly sunk except for two things: I can confess to not doing what I’ve vowed and ask God to help me start again; and remember that I have 79 (?) others also working to memorize the same verses, like the cloud of witnesses in Hebrews 12:1 – “Therefore, since we are surrounded by so great a cloud of witnesses, let us also lay aside every weight, and sin which clings so closely, and let us run with ENDURANCE the race that is set before us.” (Verse 2 is even better) I have not met anyone face to face, but knowing I’m not alone in this is a big help. You are all a gift.

3 Likes

I have to confess, I’m a little behind on the verses. BUT, I am pressing forward. If anyone else out there is lagging, let’s lag together and keep going! :slight_smile:

LOL - Lots of Love!

4 Likes

Brother Tim - I am so sorry you have felt alone in the memorizing. I was doing great with chapter 2 until 2 weeks ago - and I got out of my normal routine because of traveling for the 4th. And, I am still off balance - :pleading_face: I am discovering that I have a problem over committing to lots of good things but perhaps not all good things are things that I should be doing - my Bible reading and memorizing are the first to be dropped when I get overly busy - and when I am committed to reading His word and memorizing - there is a sweetness there that I should never let go of. Thank you Carol and Kelly for saying the same things I have felt and for Tim to be a coach motivating us to continue.

4 Likes

Morning group!

I thought I’d share some info on Dwell. It’s a iphone app that is an audio Bible. The down side is it does cost, but not alot. The up side is that it allows plans, so you can read through the Bible in a year, a book in a month, a week, etc. That’s all really cool, but they have added a Repeat and Reflect ability. So now I can select Chapter 2 of Colossians and put it on repeat. Reflect allows you to set a time period before it begins the repeat. I’m not really trying to sell the app (as I know there are lots out there!), but this new feature is going to be very helpful for me to catch up and thought it might help one or more others out there.

Blessings!!!

1 Like

My intention is not to lay a guilt trip on anyone for as Carol says, it only serves to see the Word of God as a burden rather than light and life. I mean that sincerely as it doesn’t appear that way when I say what I am about to.

Please just consider your days. What is important to you and I? It cashes out as to what we put our time into and what we find ourselves talking about frequently.

Prayer or memorization won’t just happen because there is much opposition to it. I think prayer is critical for every believer but memorization by the chapters is not meant for everyone. What does the Lord have for you? That is the issue and if He wants you to follow along rather than actually memorizing, great! The main point is to follow through with what Jesus has for you.

I do hope that some of you opt for memorizing as you feel led that way because it is worth so much. It has revitalized my walk and it costs nothing but time and that can often be in conjunction with something else that I am already doing and not always just added time needed.

Kelly, to have you throw out a helpful idea is so critical as it may be just the ticket for someone that, try as they do, they just can’t figure out a routine. Does anyone else have ideas?

I’ve mentioned it before but will probably not apply to anyone else but I am paralyzed and so I handcycle. I clip my verses and some of the previous verses on my shoes and learn as I bike. I can learn the new verses, review the rest of the chapter while reviewing other chapters in that hour. What works for you?

2 Likes

Having the verses on my phone and looking at it on the phone repeatedly.

3 Likes

Little Fun Fact I just learned. Don’t you love it when you stumble across something in the Bible that just kind of hits you between the eyes!? This may not have the same impact for you, but it’s still fun to share. I’m reading some background information on Colossea and the heresies. They listed six, but the one that hit me was the heresy of “Secret Knowledge”. It states that it was being taught that salvation required not just faith in Christ, but knowledge of certain mysteries. ewwweewwwww. This instantly brought to mind verses 26 and 27 in Chapter 1 which states: “. . . the mystery hidden for ages and generations but now revealed to his saints. To them God chose to make known how great among the Gentiles are the riches of the glory of this mystery, which is Christ in you, the hope of glory.” It would seem Paul is very clearly stating here that the MYSTERY has been fully revealed. Christ in us, the hope of glory.

What’s fun about this as well is that because of our memory work, this information from the reading tied right back to the scripture I had learned!

3 Likes

Aw Kelly, that was a great fact that I wasn’t aware of. Thanks for sharing it!

Isn’t it amazing how much the verses we have memorized pop up. And this is only the beginning. I treasure what we memorized so much. Even the verse you quoted would not have been recalled in my past, but when you speak of mysteries now, my mind went right for that as well as the numerous times it comes up in chapters 1 & 2 of Colossians. It is more than just having it memorized but there’s something about it being in our hearts as well.

It sure is a blessing when any of you post such fun facts as Kelly’s. Thanks Kelly!

2 Likes

Hey @kelelek,

I think you will enjoy reading Ephesians 3. The content of the chapter is so much like the first two chapters in Colossians and speaks of the mystery in Christ.

Eph 3: 4 When you read this, you can perceive my insight into the mystery of Christ, 5 which was not made known to the sons of men in other generations as it has now been revealed to his holy apostles and prophets by the Spirit. 6 This mystery is[a] that the Gentiles are fellow heirs, members of the same body, and partakers of the promise in Christ Jesus through the gospel.

What is ironic is that the mystery of the gospel with the very purpose of removing the walls of division brought about by differences in laws in different cultures through personal relationship to Christ is the very message sadly misunderstood and depicted in reverse as the faith that erects walls and divides humanity.

I am loving the richness in the book of Colossians!

2 Likes

Great insight Lakshmi. And I’m not trying to be facetious when I say that it is not said in the Connect lingo as it is truly something that was very perceptive. I tell you, I sure need you guys to round out my learning. Both you and Kelly are brilliant. I’m not just singling you two out but I pick up so much from your remarks.

2 Likes

Thanks brother Tim. Always so gracious with your words.

2 Likes