Colossians 2:7-8

@Bible_Memorization_Group

Dear Memorizers
When I post the new verses, I always wonder how it is going with all of you. If anyone would want to post how you are doing with the memorization, it’d really be nice to hear from you… Sometimes your struggles can often give hope to another!!

I find that I best appreciate the verses a week or weeks after they were posted. My mind puts outs all the effort into getting the words down and then it starts taking shape and then I can listen to what I am quoting out loud.

As we look around at this mixed up world, we long that decisions all over the world, would be wise and loving ones. Then I realize why they all grapple with the basic very obvious resolutions - what can we expect from a world that so needs Jesus? I so appreciate Colossians 2:3 "in whom are hid all of the treasures of wisdom and knowledge.

Scripture has turned my life upside down. When I swim in it by memorizing, it touches me so intimately. That’s our Jesus, desiring that relationship with us. Aren’t we so undeserving but abounding with treasures because of His mercy and grace to us?

May these verses come together quickly. Here they are:

Colossians 2:7 Rooted and built up in him, and established in the faith, as ye have been taught, abounding therein with thanksgiving.
Colossians 2:8 Beware lest any man spoil you through philosophy and vain deceit, after the tradition of men, after the rudiments of the world, and not after Christ. (KJV)

Colossians 2:7 rooted and built up in him and established in the faith, just as you were taught, abounding in thanksgiving.
Colossians 2: 8 See to it that no one takes you captive by philosophy and empty deceit, according to human tradition, according to the elemental spirits of the world, and not according to Christ. (ESV)

Dear Lord, I pray for the 77 individuals that I have never met but You know through and through. I thank you that we are memorizing and going over these two verses, week by week. Yet you don’t treat us like a group, but one may be really struck by a verse, even a word, in this week’s post that the others of us won’t see it that way. I thank You for the privilege of associating with my brothers and sister. We truly love you precious King.

As I was praying, I thought of the Col 2:3 verse. I ran to my wife and quoted the verse and mentioned that it was an amazing passage.Her response was that it was good but not to the degree that the Holy Spirit brought it home to me.

1 Like

@Bible_Memorization_Group

I wanted to post something regarding our memorization that has no direct connection with the verses this week.

As we decided to memorize together, we took on chapters that gave us the contextual advantages to the verses within the chapter that we were familiar with. Of course, I saw that this was important but as we have memorized more together my appreciation for that has grown and I realized aspects of my theology that I would not have known because I would have fixated on the verses that I knew and have struck out various verses that I didn’t think were pertinent. By memorizing the whole chapter, much less the book, the big picture comes into view.

One example I’d like to give comes from Colossians 1:15 “He is the image of the invisible God, the first-born of all creation;” In my walk as a Christian, over all of the years I would sometimes be tempted to look back over my shoulder regarding the concept of Jesus being fully God. That is a hugely important and fundamental piece of Christianity.

So Colossians 1:15, left by itself, would be a troublemaker for me because, it presented Jesus as a wannabe God but not the real God. But because of Jesus being fully human, His description is not detailed enough just to say that He is God. So we have verses like Col 1:15, which gives us more of a complete picture of our complex God. But it is essential to read on to see Jesus in His entirety.

Actually, it’s been other scripture verses within a chapter that has really shaken my world but would entail more time as the example that I used was easy to convey my thought. I mention this to encourage you to join us in memorizing or if you are, when the times get tough, to keep going. But at least, see the importance of not plucking out a few verses but read them within the context of the chapter. The Word of God will begin to reshape how you think about Him.

5 Likes

Hi Tim,

From an early age I was told to read the verses before and after to get the full picture. But as time goes on you forget, then can get hung-up on a verse which you’ve misinterpreted.

Regards

David Cieszynski

Living A Life For Christ In Today’s Society

3 Likes

When I read Paul’s letters I go for theology, which is awesome. I find that memorizing the verses (not yet perfectly though) I’m getting prompts to live in the Kingdom. What a difference! I also see more of the love in Paul’s heart, and sometimes think I see a frustration in him regarding how lightly we take our deliverance from the domain of darkness.

3 Likes

Carol, I would have to heartily agree. Many times I feel like Paul, writing in love, is writing directly to me, not in a stern or commanding tone but written for my betterment. I memorize not just what I believe and it stops there but that manifests itself into how I live.

1 Like

I agree with you @Tim_Ramey… …memorizing Colossians 1 has brought to light the many dimensions of the centrality of the person of Jesus in the story of redemption, whether of our souls or the entire creation in heaven and earth. Only He who is the firstborn of all creation can be the firstborn for its re-creation (resurrection and the new heaven and new earth). If creation was designed to be held together in Christ, it makes sense that He is the only way for its redemption. He was above every principality and power before creation and he simply proved it again in His resurrection. Oh what wisdom and knowledge we are forfeiting when we are not spending time to know Christ! And I wonder how that must be playing into our deception and misinterpretations of the Bible. Its great to ponder what we can know in Christ based on our memory work in Colossians even thus far. We have grace, peace, truth, love of the Spirit, endurance in joy, hope of glory, forgiveness of sins, redemption, divine inheritance, release from darkness, authority and power in Christ, knowledge of God’s will, assurance, firm foundation, all wisdom and knowledge and protection from deception! Its beautiful how we have everything by just having Christ! Makes sense why only he who has the Son, the source of all these blessings, alone has eternal life!

5 Likes

Thought I’d share a story on the power of God’s word that was told by a woman at my bible study group last night. We were discussing the scripture on being ready in season and out of season in 1 Peter 3 and on the “what and how we get ready”, etc. At the end of the discussion, this woman told us that she had walked away from the faith and that what brought her back was one verse. One verse!! If it’s God’s word, the right word at the right time is powerful.

Note: Not disagreeing the with topic of taking things in context. This is a story of how God brought the right word at the right time in context with what she needed! It was very encouraging. For those of us praying for our prodigals or lost family members and friends, I hope this encourages you as well!

4 Likes

Lakshmi, you sure can concisely put it out there. Look at the list of all of your huge, Christian, heavy hitters that Paul brought up in that one + chapters. It’s interesting to see, when you condensed it down, just how many important and critical concepts are spoken of. I can’t believe it though I memorized it!!! That was a great idea to list them all together. You kept listing one after another, after another!!! And you sum it up so nicely by saying, “Its beautiful how we have everything by just having Christ!” Amen!!

Also Lakshmi when you said, “Oh what wisdom and knowledge we are forfeiting when we are not spending time to know Christ!”, I realize that with memorizing. I’m not talking about a method to know Jesus, ie memorization, but a tool that He has used to take me deeper into Him. I had mentioned in a post at some point, how much time I’d waste just when I biked the hour that I did everyday. Now, it is time that, by thinking on Him through His Word, He shows me more of Himself.

And Kelly, I was touched by your story! Just so you know, when you had your disclaimer at the end, it took me by surprise because I don’t think anyone would have even thought, “How can she learn something from only one verse!” I may have had the biggest mouth on that subject, but it didn’t dawn on me until you brought it up.

Many years ago, I went to a Promise Keepers Conference out in Denver. One of the speakers told us how, after the conference the year before, he was bushed and didn’t want to talk to anyone when he was at the airport. The way to keep people away, he said, was to open up a Bible so he did. He flipped open his Bible and his eyes landed on the word, “Father.” He sat there staring at that word and as he did so, so much regarding the Father began to unfold and the Lord taught Him much. He started weeping realizing what a precious Father we have. Now in his case, he didn’t even have one verse but one word that the Lord so mightily used.

You two Sisters had such brilliant, encouraging points that it makes me rejoice at knowing Jesus - and hungry to know Him more.

3 Likes