Colossians 2:9-10

@Bible_Memorization_Group

Dear Memorizing Friends
Sometimes, probably because I am thinking of mesmerizing when I am saying memorizing, but I feel that it gives the impression that we are some group that chants mindlessly, some words that we’re programed with. Nothing could be further from the truth as we are learning lifegiving words that are enriching and changing us all uniquely in different ways.

As we move forward, I usually enjoy telling of the richness in some of our previous verses but this week I so appreciate verse 9. It explains is such a concise description of Jesus.

I do trust that you are getting as much out of Colossians as I am. If you want to realize the depth of what we have had so far, and it did not even include this week’s two amazing passages, please go to last week’s posts (Colossians 2:7-8) and read Lakshmi’s posts. I read it to my wife as she condenses the verses down with all of the major Christian terms that come out in what we have memorized so far.

Have a rich week as you consider these verses:

Colossians 2:9 For in him the whole fullness of deity dwells bodily,
Colossians 2:10 and you have been filled in him, who is the head of all rule and authority. (ESV)

Colossians 2:9 For in him dwelleth all the fulness of the Godhead bodily.
Colossians 2:10 And ye are complete in him, which is the head of all principality and power: (KJV)

Lord Jesus, we are utterly grateful for all that you went through to share Your life with us. The idea is too much for us to comprehend but as we go through each day that you give to us, help us to understand it more so that our love for You would continue to increase until we see You face to face. We thank You that you are our Lord - truly the Lord who wants to have His way in ours because You want the very best for us and, in turn, we are blessed because we are glorifying Your Name! Thank you Jesus, with all of our hearts knit together, praising You as we can already join in with the heavenly choir!

3 Likes

This is not my group as I am just one of the 80 in it. But I am burdened for all of you. I’d be dishonest if I told you that I go down the list and pray for you individually, but as so many sign into Connect, they come in saying that they want to grow in Jesus.

Now here is a perfect opportunity to do that among a loving, personal group that are not super scholars from Oxford and are far from judgemental.

Another reason that it is perfect is because we post the two verses each week for memorization but whether you are actually memorizing them or not, you can post a question or comment. It is not a Bible study but it could be seen as memorizing/studying these two verses this week. It’s not the whole chapter but rather just two verses to munch on. I know that as I memorize them, many times the comments or questions come up later. It’s never too late to respond to verses that are weeks old.

I’m posting what I am, not for my sake, but for yours.

3 Likes

Do you have moments in your life where, you don’t feel that it is due to any melancholy, but you wonder what purpose you serve for the kingdom? As I look back over my 68 years on this earth, I’m a bit disappointed as to what difference I’ve made. This is not begging for affirmation but rather, a valid question where you wonder if you’ve really been resourcefully used by Jesus - a reflection as to whether your life has been a bit of a joke or maybe running in place.

My heart pleads for the Lord to use me any way that He wants to. Will it look the same way that I think it should? It’s hard to say. Whether I live to be 100 years old or a 100 more hours, my life is a vapor and will quickly be no more. What difference did I make? No, the question is not was I remembered but was Jesus remembered because I lived?

What does all of this have to do with memorization? It’s a question I ask myself. For me, it has radically altered my life - the way I think and act. But do the chapters that I have clipped to my shoes translate into life for any one else? Or for that matter, am I flapping my wings, trying to urge all of you to drink from the Word of Life? Why? What good does it do to try to urge others as to what only Jesus can make real? It’s done because I care for you and I hope it makes a difference.

Numbers aren’t the issue. We currently have 80 on board. But what makes sense for me to facilitate this group is whether it impacts just one of you and gives you purpose and direction. As it is, only a few even read the post. Is it another example of running in place, thinking I’m doing the Lord’s will? I can’t say for sure. I just want my life to count for Jesus.

5 Likes

Great thoughts and question. I can’t help but think that we all wonder about and loooong to be resourcefully used by Jesus. Like children who long to please their parents, I believe we all long to please our heavenly Father, to be noticed and used by Him. Seems to be part of who we are as children! As in the natural, so in the supernatural, we long for our parent’s praise and affirmation. In a similar discussion with a friend, I was reminded by this wise person that it’s the works He has prepared for me today. Maybe that’s letting someone take a turn in line before me, smiling at the grumpy person in my path, not entering into gossip sessions at work, etc. As a parent in the natural I think of how proud I am of my children when they are polite, honest, kind or compassionate to others, etc.

I think the other side of this question for me is, am I secure and confident in His unconditional love for me. It is important for me to check and ensure that I’m at peace knowing my heavenly Father loves me whether I do anything for Him or not; just as a parent I love my children (even when they are not doing things that I would be proud of).

In our memory verses, the following have been the most profound: “21 And you, who once were alienated and hostile in mind, doing evil deeds, 22 he has now reconciled in his body of flesh by his death, in order to present you holy and blameless and above reproach before him,” It really is all about what He has done for me. My part is to walk in the Spirit and do the works He calls me to. Yet, even in that, it’s ALL ABOUT what He has done. Reading that is so profound!! I am holy, blameless and above reproach all because He reconciled in HIS body of flesh by HIS death so that HE could present me before Him. (cries)

Yes, I know, you said you aren’t looking for affirmation. But I believe I can speak for many, if not all, in saying what a blessing you are on this thread.

2 Likes

I remember years ago watching Delirious dvd while doing the ironing and the ‘History Maker’ came on, and God asked me did I want to be a history maker? Which made think how could I be. From then on I ask myself when an opportunity comes along do I want to be God’s proverbial ‘plan A’ or is He going to have to go to ‘plan B’ and someone else will have the pleasure in serving God.

I’m getting licensed on 14th July as a Lay Reader (sometimes referred to Licensed Lay Minister (which in my mind makes more sense)), I’m excited as this is the next phase in my life and feel the Lord wants me to establish a Biblical Study Centre, but I’m also scared as I don’t know how this will develop.

I have to wear a cassock, surplice and blue stoll (not sure on spelling) which will no doubt bring me some friendly banter.

Just think TIm when this group started off, we didn’t know how it would develop and now there are 80+ people involved in some manner and I feel that by this time next year the number will be closer 200.

3 Likes